Getting a Puppy to play with a ball, frisbee, or any toy!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Rainier
Newborn Bully

Getting a Puppy to play with a ball, frisbee, or any toy!

Postby Rainier » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:26 am

my puppy is about 4 1/2 months now and i just started taking her to the beach(leashed), closed baseball fields to run around, and empty fields during the weekends. i cant really get her to want to play fetch. i try and play with her with a tennis ball but it doesnt work. when shes at home with me, she doesnt get interested.

the reason i want her to start to play and chase the ball, is so she can get some excercise without tiring me out.

any tricks that will get her to run around and stuff?

the only way she runs is when i run next to her, or what i do is just get my long fishing pole, tie a small ribbon at the end, and put it in front of her and go in circles and she runs for really long(but gets me real dizzyish sometimes)

anyway any info will be appreciated. thanks guys

DiamondTiger
Matured Bully

Postby DiamondTiger » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:34 am

Karma wasn't all that interested in the tennis ball when she was a pup either. Now we can't throw them fast enough! And she'll shred one in a heart beat if we let her.

Have you tried sitting on your floor and rolling the ball back and forth in front of your pup (just from one hand to the other)? That's how we got Karma interested in it. :)

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:43 am

This is an article about creating a motivating toy for agility/dog sports but you could use some of it to make balls, etc more exciting and high value:

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

Choose a throwable toy--i.e. one that you can toss, but won't roll too much, like a tug rope, or a ball in a sock or a stuffed animal.

Attach this toy to a light line, string or lead that is about 3 meters long.

Put the toy in a drawer in the midst of your living area--example, in the kitchen or somewhere else that is easily accessible at all times.

Before each meal start to act a bit loony. While saying really fun things to your dog (like "oh no", "what is it", "do you want this", "where's your toy", etc.) walk, dance, skip...basically act goofy while you make your way over to the special drawer.

S-l-o-w-l-y open up the drawer while continuing to say nutty things to your dog.

Stop talking momentarily (a pause for effect) and then pull the toy out of the drawer, like you just unexpectedly came across a $50 bill and run with it into the next room.

Swing the toy above the ground while acting nutty to show the dog what a great time you are having with this fun toy.

Dance around for a few more seconds and then toss the toy out like a lure on the end of a fishing pole.

Drag it around but BE SURE THE DOG DOES NOT GET HIS MOUTH ON IT.

This whole process should only take 1-2 minutes the first time you do it.
End your fun game, which didn't include your poor dog, by running ack to the drawer, yhour toy in tow snatching it up and quickly putting it back in the drawer with a phrase like "oh no, it's gone".

You may then proceed about your regular routine as if nothing out of the ordinary just happened.

Re-enact this bizarre performance 2-3 times a day. After the second day, allow the dog to get his mouth on the toy if he is really keen--but only for a few seconds. Pull on the line to try and steal it from him. Once you get it away (be sure you are taking it from him in a very informal, fun way), play with it a little more by yourself before quickly putting the toy away.

Gradually progress, letting him play with you and the toy (tog of war style) a little more each time until you have a dog who loves to see the toy come out.

Do not allow him to play with this toy at any other time except during this routine and, when he is ready, at agility class.

Ideally, you should remove any other toys that are lying around the house during this time. Leave out only things your dog can lie down and chew on by himself, such as his chew bones.

Be sure during this training/play session that you never give your dog any sort of verbal for anything he might do.

Before you know it you will have a dog who is as nutty about this toy as you apparently have been!

This method works particularly well on new puppies.

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Oh the days when I had to create intrest in toyz

Postby izapitty » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:55 pm

Are long behind me now. My new issue is telling Sadie NOT NOW!

When Sadie was a pup I would put Penut butter on the new toys to get them in her mouth. Throw it and praise her for going after it or just putting it in her mouth. I went through several different types of toys until I found some that turned her on, a rope always turned her on. Squeakeys and teething chewables were great.

Building toy drive for me I made a huge deal out of the toy TONS of excitment when pulling it out. I would be interested in it and that would get her interested.

smoke
Newborn Bully

Postby smoke » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:56 am

try scenting the ball.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:53 am

FransterDoo wrote:This is an article about creating a motivating toy for agility/dog sports but you could use some of it to make balls, etc more exciting and high value:

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

Choose a throwable toy--i.e. one that you can toss, but won't roll too much, like a tug rope, or a ball in a sock or a stuffed animal.

Attach this toy to a light line, string or lead that is about 3 meters long.

Put the toy in a drawer in the midst of your living area--example, in the kitchen or somewhere else that is easily accessible at all times.

Before each meal start to act a bit loony. While saying really fun things to your dog (like "oh no", "what is it", "do you want this", "where's your toy", etc.) walk, dance, skip...basically act goofy while you make your way over to the special drawer.

S-l-o-w-l-y open up the drawer while continuing to say nutty things to your dog.

Stop talking momentarily (a pause for effect) and then pull the toy out of the drawer, like you just unexpectedly came across a $50 bill and run with it into the next room.

Swing the toy above the ground while acting nutty to show the dog what a great time you are having with this fun toy.

Dance around for a few more seconds and then toss the toy out like a lure on the end of a fishing pole.

Drag it around but BE SURE THE DOG DOES NOT GET HIS MOUTH ON IT.

This whole process should only take 1-2 minutes the first time you do it.
End your fun game, which didn't include your poor dog, by running ack to the drawer, yhour toy in tow snatching it up and quickly putting it back in the drawer with a phrase like "oh no, it's gone".

You may then proceed about your regular routine as if nothing out of the ordinary just happened.

Re-enact this bizarre performance 2-3 times a day. After the second day, allow the dog to get his mouth on the toy if he is really keen--but only for a few seconds. Pull on the line to try and steal it from him. Once you get it away (be sure you are taking it from him in a very informal, fun way), play with it a little more by yourself before quickly putting the toy away.

Gradually progress, letting him play with you and the toy (tog of war style) a little more each time until you have a dog who loves to see the toy come out.

Do not allow him to play with this toy at any other time except during this routine and, when he is ready, at agility class.

Ideally, you should remove any other toys that are lying around the house during this time. Leave out only things your dog can lie down and chew on by himself, such as his chew bones.

Be sure during this training/play session that you never give your dog any sort of verbal for anything he might do.

Before you know it you will have a dog who is as nutty about this toy as you apparently have been!

This method works particularly well on new puppies.

LMAO, oh man, just reading your post even got me excited to see what this toy is all about, lol. I was visualizing the part where you open the drawer in my head and I busted out laughing, hahahaha. That was a great article and I can only second it.
As someone mentioned also building drive for a particular toy can backfire at times and can be annoying, especially if you just want to relax for a minute. I use an Orbee ball as Loki's ultimate toy and if he sees me while I take it out of the spare room he goes apeshit. It is great for focus work though.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re:

Postby FransterDoo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 am

InBearsMemory wrote:

As someone mentioned also building drive for a particular toy can backfire at times and can be annoying, especially if you just want to relax for a minute.

Good point, IBM.

Franny's toy is a tennis ball. People think it's strange when we go over to other people's houses to have play dates and I grab all the tennis balls and hide them away.

It's because the tennis ball is so high value she'll ignore everything else.

Same thing with Hank and his flyball tug. People have learned not to casually pull it out of the flyball bag if the bag is open. He goes nuts for it!

Return to “Training and Behavior”