I Saw The Craziest Thing Today...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Darkest Ecstasy

I Saw The Craziest Thing Today...

Postby Darkest Ecstasy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:13 pm

I was walking Coco today and a few blocks away from my house, I saw a lady walking her own pittie.
He was pretty handsome and was not on a leash. Me and Coco were at a spot where the two couldn't of see each other. (I was wary of the unleashed, uncut dog, lol.)
When the lady and her dog passed a HUGE, really tall fence (Made out of thick wood), you could hear another dog behind it, barking at the male.
The male suddenly bolted and did that thing where the dogs run back and forth along the fence and I thought that would be the end of it...

But then the pittie took a flying leap at the fence (Jumped clean over it) and I could hear them fighting. I got all freaked out, of course but the lady got all mad and called him back. Amazingly, the dog stopped fighting and jumped back out. The lady apologized to the owner who ran outside to see what was going on and hauled her pittie away.

I don't know about you but I was so amazed that the dog could jump that high!! That fence had to be like 10 feet tall! Can all dogs do that?

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:56 pm

with enough motivation, our dogs can do anything!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:07 pm

You didnt know pitties could fly ?

(and gezz.what is up with all the unleashed dogs lately ... ? )
BUT
I had Apollo, a mix pit / rott that lept over my 6 foot PLUS fence with the ease of a leap..over the arch enemy number one SQUIRELL.

and Scooter is my leaper too, but she clears about 5 1/5 feet without running or hesitation..

so nope, doesnt surprise me.. after seeing a few leap and bound with grace and ease.. l o l

that lady is pretty dang lucky.. if a dog lept into my yard, unleashed I would be on the phone in a heartbeat..
what a dope.. obviously too much trust in what seems to be a good listening (when it wanted to that is )dog..but that could of been a deadly leap.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:23 pm

I was out hiking this evening with my dog.
We ran across a very old cmemtary, surrounded by a 5-5 1/2 foot tall stone wall.
I wanted to get closer to take a look and as soon as she got close enough to the wall, my dog sprang up and started walking beside me, but atop of this old stone wall. No running start, one second she was on the ground walking, the next second she was on top of ths stone wall, never missed a beat nor twisted the leash either.
The ease she jumped up there was actually beautiful to see, so graceful and perfect
These dogs are natural born athletes.
That woman was surley an idiot allowing her dog to be off leash like that though. :po:

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:01 pm

I have heard the stories of pitties jumping 6 foot fences, climbing trees and what have you...I think it must be somewhat dog specific. Veronica believes the only way to get into the car is with a significant boost to the tush. Getting on the couch and on the bed requires the use of a "doggie ramp". Then again, perhaps it is my fault and I have scarred her for life by introducing her doggie ramps... :oops:

Jazzy

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:03 pm

...introducing her to doggie ramps...

Damn the no edit :po: !

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:57 am

I have a 6 ft cedar fence around the perimeter of my back yard. Within my yard, I have a 50'x35' area sectioned off with 4ft chain link. My son was messing around inside the kenneled off area and had the gate shut while LeeRoy was out in the main portion of the yard with me...he called for LeeRoy to 'help' him and what i saw next totally amazed me, as LeeRoy is a bit of a couch potato.

He galloped (think of how a cheetah runs) to the chain link and just went airbound over the gate, with about a foot of clearance between his stomach and the decorative portion at the top of the gate. After that, I have NO doubt that he could get over the 6'ft cedar fence as well...good think I am a mean mom and always have him in view!

midwestdrifter13
Newborn Bully

Postby midwestdrifter13 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:10 pm

my doggie is in the pound till Monday cuz of this...how do i get him to stop jumping over after cats and stuff??? :sad:

This will be almost $300 in impound fees for The Dude :po:

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:55 pm

Either extend the height of the fence, or tether him, or do not leave him in the yard unattended. I saw the another thread that you had your pitbull and a small dog in the yard unattended. It is really not a good diea to leave a pitbull and another dog together unsupervised, for any length of time. Several people on this board have had terrible traumatic experiences after doing this, even with dogs that get along well.

Nokturna
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Nokturna » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:16 pm

I have seen all sorts of videos and what have you of pitbulls doing this sort of thing and it always amazed me. Fortunately (cuz he doesnt know that he could probably jump high if he wanted to) AND unfortunately (because it would be fun and interesting for him to be able to do that if He could jump over high things when I wanted him to) Prince doesnt even jump into the van, or climb, since he was little I taught him to wait with his front paws up on the seat until I picked up his back end andput him in or on a chair, just so he would never hurt himself or learn to jump over the fence, on the counter or anything.. I know my friend's dog Bane easily jumps onto the counter.. no running or anything, one second hes on the floor next thing you know he's walking on the counter.. so yeah I wouldnt want that lol

--Jenn

roseg96

Postby roseg96 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Lol, It's nowhere near a 10 foot fence but.....Diesel jumps into the car through the window. No time to wait for me to open the door (my air conditioner is broken so my windows are always down unless it's raining). I just head for the car and he pops right through the window without touching the outside of the car and look back at me from HIS passenger seat like "What's taking YOU so long?"

RodentRanger
Super Bully

Postby RodentRanger » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:01 pm

Growing up, my grandparents had a pit mix. They lived in the boonies and had a track around the house, so I was riding my bike on it. Tucker flew over the fence to run with me without a running start or touching the fence. It was only a 4 ft chainlink though.
After he ripped off a neighbor's goat's ear and left his collar on their fence as evidence, the g-parents put a 6 ft cedar fence up around his kennel.

Kailie is a non jumper. I have to help her into the car! Yoda will 'hup' onto ANY surface I tell him to and has more then once jumped out of the open car.

IlovemyMONGO
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby IlovemyMONGO » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:40 pm

Stupid lady for having her dog not leashed! :po:

*Jumping fences: Mongo was 4 months old at the vet(he is an american bulldog/lab mix) and he jumped a 6 ft high fence there.
He also jumped my friends 8 ft. fence! OH MY!
Thank god right now we don't have ahuge yard to have a fence I would need a 20 ft. tall fence! YIKES! LOL!

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm working on the jumping thing with Kayrah. She gets pretty motivated with the flirt pole :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”