New BAD behavior

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
izapitty
Newborn Bully

New BAD behavior

Postby izapitty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:26 am

This occured twice this weekend Sadie 1.5 years Nipped in the air towards my wifes face and air bit at me for not playing with her. She is on a hard line of NILF, has been worked hard on bite controll, releases etc... any recommendations?

I do not want this behavior to continue as I imagine the next step is a literal bite.
Thank you,

steptide
Matured Bully

Postby steptide » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:03 pm

chances are (and im only speculating) that its a sign of affection. both my dogs used to nip and it hurts let me tell ya , but it is not an aggresive manor. my guess is the dog will grow out of that phase , but until that time comes , you may need some strict reinforcement

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Issis snaps the air, and tends to jump a LOT, so I have to be careful. I don't know how to curb the habit either :(

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:16 pm

She is probably doing this out of excitement or over stimulation.
Have you tried removing all attention after she air bites?
She air bites, you say nu-uh (or whatever you say, not yelling or frantic or anything, just calm and firm) and quickly turn away and ignore her.
There may be a better way, but this has worked for me.
Another thing I learned once from a trainer I was helping was to teach an incompatible behavior. So when she air bites you might have her down or sit.
Good Luck!

izapitty
Newborn Bully

What happend after the fact

Postby izapitty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:44 pm

I was not in the room, however my wife told her NO! (LOUD DEEP STERN NO) no biting and put her in a seperate room no stimulation. I came out to see what was going on and my wife told me the dog was sulky for the rest of the day.

The next day she airbit at me I popped her on the nose with the back of my hand (no harder then you would slap a childs wrist going to a hot stove) NO NO BITING! and put her in a down stay.

I know this is over excitment on both times, I work her excitment levles during tug giving out commands, down stay, placing my hands near her mouth is a que to quit the game etc... however I am having an issue at bringing her level down.

Please keep the suggestions rolling!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37 pm

grabbing, tugging the dog, bringing it to its room,
WEEEeee dog got what it wanted !

ATTENTION
bad attention , negative attention, ME ME ME ME

try a few things
LEASH the puppy so the leash corrects her if there are two people present, then tell her to
SIT - pop in a treat, or just if she doesnt know sit yet
call her to you when she is calm , butt or all feet of floor give her the treat.

if alone , doggy jumps, leaps, or snaps, cross your arms turn around and leave the puppy where ever it is.
(leash can work here too, just have the dog leashed under a chair or something, so when you walk away the dog cannot follow you)
or if there is a door. close it.
LEAVE THE DOG
no attention, no words..and no human.

the dog thinks heeeey! Where did my buddy go!
And the more this happens the dog will begin to see, jumping and being naughty gets the human to leave, happy good play keeps human there.

:0 )

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Perhaps she needs more exercise...a tired pit bull is a good pit bull!

Pitties should go a few miles a day on walks. Also a good fetch or flirtpole session afterwards will help keep her energy down too.

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Excellent Points from all

Postby izapitty » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks guys I have been working her harder this week and really making her work to play. IE no free toys, no toys lying around, must sit and be calm before play time.

I think this problem is stemming from not having excersise that weekend and the toy lying down and no one wanting to play so she was initaiting play... in a way I DONT APPROVE of. It is funny the more I take away and make her work for the more loving and calm she is when there are no toys out.

Thank you again for your input.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: Excellent Points from all

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:37 pm

izapitty wrote: It is funny the more I take away and make her work for the more loving and calm she is when there are no toys out.

Thank you again for your input.

sing along

R*E*S*P*E*C*T that is what it means to me..

hehe..

yup, she the more you "teach" the more she "Works" the more she respects you as her leader and care taker! Which of course makes her feel more SAFE and calm! :thumbsup:
good job!

Return to “Training and Behavior”