need quick opinons right away....

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

need quick opinons right away....

Postby Turb0wned » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:11 pm

I made the mistake of not crate trainning tyson but i think im going to have to by him a crate just for times when im gone and no one is home... Hes 7.5 months will it still be fine to crate him? I need it because hes tearing my room apart, i have dry wall in my room and he has made 3 big holes in it in just the last few weeks..... Im looking for answers right away so i can go out and buy one now, something that he could move around in so a nice size one.

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:24 pm

You really can crate-train a dog at any age. I'm sure there are LOTS of tips on this forum if you run a search.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 pm

You can definitely crate train him! Just be sure to read up on how to do it properly so that the process goes smoothly from the start. You shouldn't just throw him in there for several hours the first time you crate him... it might be a good idea to start on a weekend when you can be home, and do it gradually for the first couple of days. Do a search on the forum, you'll find lots of info!

izapitty
Newborn Bully

Never too late to crate

Postby izapitty » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:59 pm

It is never too late to crate, SADIE has finally accepted that the crate is HERS and not a kennle.

Read up on introducing dogs to crating, I know for us we would crate her while cleaning the house or watching tv NO TALKING or encouraging of the dog and would let her out after 10 minutes of no whinning. When they come out of the crate no big party just casual cleaning the house etc...

Then 30 minute blocks of being in the crate, again tottally ignoring the dog just doing our deal etc... let them out no biggie.

Then bump to hour etc....

Overnight

No problems past that, accept for saying OK crate time and watch her sulf around the room and as far away as possible. (puppies) Now I just say OK I am going to bed, she follows me to her crate waits till I open gives me some lovins and off she goes to her crate.

Man I love these Dogs! :peace:

pibbles and bits

Postby pibbles and bits » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:06 pm

I agree with all above posters :) Kayrah was three when we started crate training!

thebluejackal
Super Bully

Postby thebluejackal » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:23 pm

My Hazel was six when he started. Prior to that, he was an outside dog. Now, when he's tired or stressed, I can ALWAYS find him napping in his crate.

Turb0wned
Adolescent Bully

Postby Turb0wned » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:53 pm

Well thanks everyone and i will do a search right now. I was able to save alot of money, my dogs trainer acually had a crate for his size that she wasnt using and told me to borrow it for as long as i want.

Return to “Training and Behavior”