Muzzles

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.

Have you considered acclimating your dog(s) to a muzzle?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 72

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:54 am

The thing is, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to teach a stable, sound tempered dog to accept a muzzle. To feel completely comfortable in the muzzle might take a bit longer, but if your dog is never likely to wear one, that isn't an issue.

I see no reason to teach a dog of good temperament to wear a muzzle unless it is specifically required for some certain purpose. When we did occasionally have to muzzle, back when I worked for a vet, I can think of exactly 2 dogs that wouldn't allow the muzzle put on, and they were both psycho. (a Chow & a Cocker)

I don't object to using a muzzle when it is warranted, I simply see no reason why it should be considered an issue when there is no existing reason for the dog to wear one.

Daphnesmom
Matured Bully

Postby Daphnesmom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:51 pm

Another thought to tag onto to the muzzle question, regardless of whether your dog is comfortable wearing it and uses it often, you should have a muzzle in your pet's emergency kit. I have one for Daphne, the Leerburg hannibal lector type, and a regular mesh one for Scooby, in the event of a disaster, like evacuation. After New Orleans, knowing how they will treat your dogs in an evacuation is serious business....being able to demonstrate your dog is safely muzzled is a real plus. That, and in a real emergency, it's likely Daphne would be in close contact with strange dogs, and likely seriously need the muzzle. Crates are good, but you can't carry a 60 lb pit bull in a crate in an emergency.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:29 pm

:goodpost:

I agree completely! Well stated!

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:30 pm

Dang I take to long to type. I was replying to Kayce's post.

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:24 pm

I think this is a great question and I'm wondering if most members view the comments or just voted on it? Maybe we should move it for more people to chime in on this issue??? Mods???

I'm considering now muzzling my new Staffy sometimes, depending on where we're out for walks. She's a HOT :twisted: tamale with strange dogs, and we run into off leash dogs constantly in our city (especially where there are any green spaces or trails).

However I'm struggling with it because my dog is never off leash and the "image" of a "Pit Bull with a muzzle" just feeds the public's negative images. My dog is safely under my control, but the issue is everyone else's dogs aren't. Should my dog be muzzled because you can't control your dog???? That is my eternal ongoing debate daily..........

She'll listen to me really well, but if they really run into her face and touch her - it's game on for blood. Luckily she's only 24 pounds and will easily helicopter if need be lol (okay, no flaming..it was just a joke!)

I'm kind of a hardened Pittie owner now, so I don't go totally out of my skin any longer trying to control both my dog and the offending dog. When I first got into the breed, I used to flip out at people, drag 75 pounds of heaving muscle around and basically do back flips and super feats of strength :duel: trying to avoid any incidences - NONE of which were my leashed dog's fault.

Now, I will body block them, but I"ve had some off leash dogs be just relentless at getting at my leashed dog and the owners being the exact opposite and never even break into a trot :stick . As long as my dog is under my control, leashed and their dog is running amok, if something happens, it happens. But is the stress of that daily worth it?????

Kayce Cover
Newborn Bully

Postby Kayce Cover » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks merriterrier! Daphne also brings up some very good points.

In regards to Rumpley's comments about the perception of dogs: I trained monkeys to aid handicapped people, and by law, in some states, a person that claims that an animal bit them does not even have to show evidence of a bite. It is their word against mine and my animal's reputation, and the animal can die over it (there is no rabies quarantine for monkeys, so they have just been immediately killed in the past, at least in some cases, particularly in Maryland). A dog that was known to be muzzled at the scene of a rumpus is not likely to be implicated in case of problems. And if people know your dog is muzzled, they may be more relaxed around the dog, which can help the dog to be more social.

If we introduce muzzles well, the animal may take pride in wearing it - kind of like when one dresses up.

Regards,
Kayce Cover[/i]

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:59 pm

Great post Kayce & Rumpley...I have often considered muzzling for the same reason...Solomon has gotten attacked once and luckily just held the dogs head and made it real slobbery, but it really got me to thinking...what if the next time he decides to close down and do some damage? I am working on walking him with a Halti now, but I am still seriously considering acclimating him to wearing a muzzle when we are out...he seems to be a loose dog magnet the few times we have encountered one...they seem to steer away from Vicki!

Red Chrome

Postby Red Chrome » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:32 pm

But in the same hand, What if you did muzzle him and the other dog full-on attacked him? I know we try and prevent it but sometimes you can't. He wouldn't even be able to defend himself could you not get the dog off him.

I see what you guys are saying and while Red can wear one, I'm not muzzling my behaved leashed dog because an idiot wants to let theirs run loose. I can also do the helicopter with Red if the need arises! J/K I can pick ehr up which is nice until the dog tries and go after me.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:09 pm

It offended me deeply, but I did end up buying a muzzle for Loki. The only reason I did so is because we attended a show in a BSL area. (Which also offends me deeply, but we went and showed everyone what an APBT can do.) I personally have never considered acclimating my own dogs to wearing a muzzle, because I don't forsee myself ever using one. (If I can't work with a dog safely without a muzzle, that dog is a good candidate for euthanasia in my home.)

If I competed in sports like French Ring where a muzzle portion was required, I would do it. But I personally feel the image of a Pit Bull in a muzzle is just to ominous and forbidding for me to want to participate.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:13 pm

You know, in retrospect, I have considered muzzle training for Terra. Only because she is a raging poo-eater and is fast enough in the yard to get to the poo and take a bite before I can stop her. But I'm determined to solve that one without using a muzzle. If she has to be on a checkline in the yard, so be it.

concreterose

Postby concreterose » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:25 pm

Red Chrome wrote:But in the same hand, What if you did muzzle him and the other dog full-on attacked him? I know we try and prevent it but sometimes you can't. He wouldn't even be able to defend himself could you not get the dog off him.

I see what you guys are saying and while Red can wear one, I'm not muzzling my behaved leashed dog because an idiot wants to let theirs run loose. I can also do the helicopter with Red if the need arises! J/K I can pick ehr up which is nice until the dog tries and go after me.

To be honest, I would rather him be attacked and muzzled than let him defend himself, possibly kill a dog (which I know he is capable of doing) and I lose him. The odds are slim that a stray seriously hurt him, especially with me intervening, but much greater that he would do serious damage if he gets a mind to. At least if he's muzzled, NO blame can be placed on him...and with all of the 'pit bull' attacks happening in Michigan, at this point in time it's better safe than sorry.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from though. I realize that I will be treading a fine line by protecting him from being taken from me, but possibly risking damaging our relationship by taking away his main defense if he IS attacked again. Which is why I haven't decided if I am going to use one yet.

Also, I have been past the point where I am concerned about what people think about what kind of equipment I have on my dogs. I have been walking Solomon with a Halti, and several people have asked me why I have him muzzled (they know he's friendly). After I explain what it's for, they're like 'How do you know about all this stuff' and a couple people that have dogs have said they want to try one out, and go into reasons why they don't walk their dogs (which is usually because they pull or are dog aggressive...and most of them are NOT bull breeds)...so I have been able to educate quite a few folks on different kinds of equipment to help them manage their dogs, and told them I would help them if they decided to try them. Same thing with the prong collar when I used it, after I explained to people what they were for (the ones that asked), it made a lot more sense to them why they see them on some dogs.

I have found that people that turn up their noses at different kinds of equipment would have a negative image of my dogs even if I weren't using it...and honestly, they can kiss my butt LOL

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:18 pm

concreterose wrote:
Red Chrome wrote:But in the same hand, What if you did muzzle him and the other dog full-on attacked him? I know we try and prevent it but sometimes you can't. He wouldn't even be able to defend himself could you not get the dog off him.

To be honest, I would rather him be attacked and muzzled than let him defend himself, possibly kill a dog (which I know he is capable of doing) and I lose him. The odds are slim that a stray seriously hurt him, especially with me intervening, but much greater that he would do serious damage if he gets a mind to. At least if he's muzzled, NO blame can be placed on him...and with all of the 'pit bull' attacks happening in Michigan, at this point in time it's better safe than sorry.

I can certainly understand where you are coming from though. I realize that I will be treading a fine line by protecting him from being taken from me, but possibly risking damaging our relationship by taking away his main defense if he IS attacked again. Which is why I haven't decided if I am going to use one yet.

Also, I have been past the point where I am concerned about what people think about what kind of equipment I have on my dogs. I have been walking Solomon with a Halti, and several people have asked me why I have him muzzled (they know he's friendly). After I explain what it's for, they're like 'How do you know about all this stuff' and a couple people that have dogs have said they want to try one out, and go into reasons why they don't walk their dogs (which is usually because they pull or are dog aggressive...and most of them are NOT bull breeds)...so I have been able to educate quite a few folks on different kinds of equipment to help them manage their dogs, and told them I would help them if they decided to try them. Same thing with the prong collar when I used it, after I explained to people what they were for (the ones that asked), it made a lot more sense to them why they see them on some dogs.

I have found that people that turn up their noses at different kinds of equipment would have a negative image of my dogs even if I weren't using it...and honestly, they can kiss my butt LOL

I can definitely relate to your post/opinion. Kane is super dog aggro. If a loose dog were to run up to us, it would be on. I'm sure the only way I would be able to save the other dog would be if I picked Kane up fast enough and held him until the other dog left. I've done it before and THAT is hard, especially when you have a 50 lb dog who is desperately trying to get down and get to the other dog. After being involved in a dogfight, I bought Kane a muzzle. To be honest, it wasn't for the OTHER dogs... It was so no one could fight to get Kane taken away from me for killing their pet. I knew that I was HIS protector and I would do anything and everything if another dog attacked him (which has never happened).

The looks and stares suck, but like you said, most of those people would probably have the same looks even without a muzzle. Just recently I've stopped using the muzzle because I hated it. I hated having to muzzle my LEASHED dog because others are too lazy to use leashes. I'm a lot more confident handling him, although I'm sure we would be in trouble if a loose dog came up. And the "leash violators" in my apartment complex have actually made sure their dogs were leashed since I started walking Kane without his muzzle. Sad. Anyway, Kane is used to the muzzle, so I can use it if I need to. And whenever my mom handles him, he does have it on just in case.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Rumpley wrote:However I'm struggling with it because my dog is never off leash and the "image" of a "Pit Bull with a muzzle" just feeds the public's negative images. My dog is safely under my control, but the issue is everyone else's dogs aren't. Should my dog be muzzled because you can't control your dog???? That is my eternal ongoing debate daily..........

Your case is a situation where I might consider it worth it to muzzle. Or you might consider one of the head halters. I'm not fond of them in general, but that particular application is one that they are quite appropriate for, since they allow better control of the dog's head.

Someone was suggesting in another thread that more people should walk cats on leash, and if they did that, I would have to muzzle Tully in public. I can walk her in a neighborhood with a lot of loose cats, because the cats generally run away. If the animals she wanted so much to eat were coming up to her instead, I would have to take extreme measures to control her. So I do understand. The most important thing is keeping your dog, and other people's pets, safe. Image is important, but it has to be secondary to that goal.

Taffys_Angel
Bully Ambassador

Postby Taffys_Angel » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:30 am

To Taffy, her muzzle is just another "thing" she wears outside. No different than a leash and collar. Though some designs bother her face...

It took no time at all to get her used to the idea.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:46 pm

There are some wonderful comments being posted here!

Just an observation, but my Rat Terrier Ardy (who wears a basket muzzle to control excessive dirt devouring) has had a couple occasions where he needed to defend himself from another dog while he was muzzled. He was able to fend the dog off with ferocious muzzle butts. Of course we stepped in so it wasn't a drawn out deal, but I felt that he was capable of protecting himself for the time he had to.

It takes so little time to acclimate a dog to a muzzle that I will do it for every dog I own. You just never know when your dog might have to wear one, even if it is perfectly behaved and never ever aggressive.

Return to “Training and Behavior”