? on pup sleeping is it dominant

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
pinsent
Adolescent Bully

? on pup sleeping is it dominant

Postby pinsent » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:44 am

when my little guy wants to sleep, he wants to be near us, either sleeping on side of us on the couch or whatever, near us with his head on my lap, or even on my lap.

Im not sure if this would be a dominant behavior or not.
i dont even let him on the couch till he sits and is invited, but when he is up and wants to sleep thats it :)
could it just be he wants to be warm touching someone? like he would be with his mom or siblings?

I let him sleep on my chest sometimes if im beat and want to take a nap on the couch as well. well more to one side on my arm kinda deal, but just wanted to know if i should stop any of this or is it fine.

thanks

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:38 pm

im no expert but thats how all my dogs sleep with me. So i don't think its dominate. i think being a puppy he just wants to be close to you

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:02 pm

The puppy wanting to be near you and touching you while it sleeps is normal - they're pack animals and like the comfort.

You probably shouldn't let him sleep on your chest, next to you is a better option. :thumbsup:

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:03 pm

k cool thanks.
its not really on my chest though its more starts there and him and me get him over to one side on my arm so he is against the back of the couch :)
of course his cute little face is pointed at me :D

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:29 pm

I am of the opinion that as long as he is warm and snuggly and is generally compliant with commands & shows no challenging/people aggressive behavior; than he can sleep where ever the 2 of you decide.

Veronica is all over the place. We prefer her at the top of the bed for optimal snuggles; but she also likes to curl into the back of our legs. Our favorite is when she snuggles behind you, puts her head across your neck; then sticks her muzzle in the back of your neck and makes little purring sounds. Hubby and I always get jealous when the other one gets "the super snuggle treatment".

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:04 pm

hehe nice
good call though. i guess as long as they are fine other times. doesn't really matter about when they are asleep. :)

tibby mama
Matured Bully

Postby tibby mama » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:36 pm

tibby REFUSES to sleep unless she is laying next to me. she necessarily doesnt need to be touching me, but she has to be within a foot of me.

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:42 pm

KeelazMom wrote:You probably shouldn't let him sleep on your chest, next to you is a better option. :thumbsup:

I agree here... I used to let Marley sleep on my chest/stomach when I was on the couch watching TV. It was cute as a puppy but once he hit 60 pounds it took some retraining for him to understand that I didn't want a 60 pound dog laying across my chest. lol

Other than sprawling their entire weight on us, ours are pretty much allowed to sleep anywhere. they have to get down when we say get down, or move if they are in our spots on the bed, but we let them anywhere. It's hard to nap on the couch though with two large dogs and a cat vying for space.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:21 pm

:)
thanks all

fattie
Adolescent Bully

Postby fattie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:56 pm

blue sleeps under the covers with me :inlove:

MyNameSpaghetti
Matured Bully

Postby MyNameSpaghetti » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:11 pm

I've met snuggly dogs before, but these pitties take some cake. IMHO, its just a bonding thing, they just like to be near you. You've settled in somewhere, and they just want to be up against you and keep you both warm.

Biggie likes to be the little spoon. lol

Jen
Matured Bully

Postby Jen » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:53 am

Lady likes to just be touching if not on me when we sleep. She's always got to be moved up against me or have a head on my leg or something....

I've heard some people say don't let them sleep on the bed... I'm a horrible example then, Lady has her own pillow... *L*

Snuggles are good. :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”