Getting a dog to behave around new people

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Getting a dog to behave around new people

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:02 pm

The dog I just got, Jersey, is pretty well behaved around us but goes nuts around people, wants to jump on them, very excited, jumping on furniture, etc. We try to hold her back and make her sit, lay down, whatever but now we end up bringing her into the basement until they leave. She's 2.5 years old, is there anything else we can do to get her to calm down and not be so nuts? She won't respond to food when she's like this either.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:31 pm

Is she leashed during the introduction periods? If not, do that immediately.
Others will have advice as well.

LexieBug1
Newborn Bully

Postby LexieBug1 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:54 pm

Second that on the leashing!

We had the same problem and the first thing the trainer had us do was leash both dogs and stand on the leashes as company enters.

For the last 2 weeks any time someone comes over it's more of an event when they arrive then anything, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Friends are coming over:
1 - make sure friends know the rules (however you have layed them out)
2 - friend calls as they get close to house
3 - leashes on both dogs (using regular flat collars)
4 - load pocket up with treats
5 - hang out near door so when you see friends car you can plant yourself on leashes
6 - stand on leashes, trying to get dogs to sit (they've heard the car doors at this point)
***If one of them sits, they get a treat***
7 - friends knock on the door, hear me say 'come in' and walk in the house PAST me and the dogs
8 - No attention for dogs, but we start chatting as I take both leashes and follow friends in the house to the kitchen
9 - Dogs stay with me until they are calm enough to say hi to friends (leashes still on)
Any jumping and you step on the leash and demand a sit, I usually make sure to give a couple treats to my friends to reward the girls for sitting nicely to say Hi!

It's not perfect yet, but has gotten MUCH better. The first time I tried this I ended up surfing across my living room on their leashes! lol

To help with the training we've made a point of asking one of our neighbors to drop by every few days just to make sure the training is consistent.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:44 pm

I have been leashing her for the last couple people, at first we would hold onto her collar and make her sit until she calmed down a little. Treats don't work but I will implement no attention until she is settled, it seems if they've been over before she's not as likely to jump up but totally new friends she is SO excited.

wyldmoonwoman
Adolescent Bully

Postby wyldmoonwoman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:41 am

Good advice from LexieBug1 :thumbsup:

I put a training collar on my dog...a prong...and a leash...

When we got company, I asked her to sit and rewarded with treats, but I stepped on the leash at the same time so that she couldn't fully jump up all the way and got a self correction if she broke her sit...

I also practiced this outside...I tethered my dog to a tree with her leash on a busy bike path and had her sit while people/dogs/bikes went by and rewarded for maintaining the sit...she got a self correction for jumping or lunging at the distractions.

The self corrections are perfectly timed and work great

My trainer said that when you push a dog down or give them the knee for jumping, they sometimes perceive this as play and in some dogs, the behavior can escalate...if you watch two dogs play, there is alot of jumping and shoving so it makes sense

Return to “Training and Behavior”