Am I jumping the gun?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Suckafree
Newborn Bully

Am I jumping the gun?

Postby Suckafree » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:08 am

Shaytoon is 12 weeks old and I'm having trouble walking her, im pretty much dragging her behind me for about 10 minutes then she starts to walk, shes much better when we take our other dog with us, still weary though, I bring treats with me but its not working so well, also she doesn't listen well outside, if i tell her sit and give her a hand sign inside the house she does it, but outside I always have to push her butt down...I was planning on taking her to obedience classes when she hit 6 months but god damn all I want to do is walk her for F- sakes, anyone ever go through this???I was told that its because shes really young but I'm not so sure if they were right...

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:22 am

ahhh thats happened to me b4... my pup from before would refuse to walk outside except with other dogs... so i started by walkin all my dogs together and still my pup was a bit on the less eager side.. so i started running..
and what do u know! the little pupper loves running so i started training her to like walkin by switching from run/walk/sprint/job and etc.

Suckafree
Newborn Bully

Postby Suckafree » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:28 am

yeah I've tried running, she just walks fast thats all lol she is disgusted by the leash and I even introduced it to her properlly, let her sniff it gave her treats and loved her,what the hell!

pedrin
Adolescent Bully

Postby pedrin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 am

Im going thry something similar right now...But with a big dog...since he just showed up in front of my door yesterday he didnt have a collar so I tried putting one my other dogs old collars on him but he refused,jumping,running and whimpering but I finnally put in around his neck...At night when I walk my dog he wouldnt budge he just sat and looked at me funny I tried pulling but it didnt work so I just let him run around the back yard with the collar and lead attached for about 10 minutes, I went toward him graved the lead and he just followed me out the door and I just came home from walking him again today....so try that maybe it will help....

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:56 am

Out of curiosity, why are you waiting until 6 months to start obedience classes?

lluksa
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby lluksa » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Your puppy shouldn't leave your garden until he/she is FULLY vaccinated. Leash training can begin in your home. There is a wonderful sticky thread by Patch O' Pits on training/socializing a new pup... http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22235
And yes, puppy training classes can begin before 6 months but again, not until your pup is fully vaccinated.

Suckafree
Newborn Bully

Postby Suckafree » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:01 pm

so no one has gone through this then??

Rumpley
Bully Ambassador

Postby Rumpley » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:32 pm

3 month old pups don't necessarily walk - they ramble - here and there, then stop then go, then pull backwards, then leap forwards. They have the attention span of a flea remember as they're just tiny babies with tiny puppy brains. lol It's like asking a kid in Kindergarten to do Calculus!

Be patient and be encouraging.

I always tell new puppy owners "You have to be more interested and enthusiastic than that squirrel over there, and that smell over here, and that piece of cookie crumb somebody dropped etc, etc..." to get your pup to move along with you.

As your pup ages, it will walk more freely on a leash and for longer periods of time. If your puppy isn't learning sit, try using more rewards. It takes about a couple of weeks to teach a pup to sit, and you must practice for about 5 minutes a day. With such a wee one, the training should only be for a very short period of time or the dog and yourself will just get frustrated.

imperiumx1st

Postby imperiumx1st » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:39 pm

[quote="Rumpley"]3 month old pups don't necessarily walk - they ramble - here and there, then stop then go, then pull backwards, then leap forwards. They have the attention span of a flea remember as they're just tiny babies with tiny puppy brains. lol It's like asking a kid in Kindergarten to do Calculus!

lol i wish my pupper still did that! she stopped that 1 & 1/2 month
she is now 5 moths

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:31 am

Suckafree wrote:so no one has gone through this then??

Its normal cause she is young. You really need to make walking with you fun. Try offering her a treat if she walks with you, or maybe a favorite toy, that she gets for a few steps if she keeps by your side... dragging her is the wrong thing to do, she will see walks as a negative thing and keep resisting. Take it slow. It may take five minutes just to get her to willingly take three steps, but with young puppers patience and persistance is the rule.

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Am I jumping the gun?

Postby 04100824 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:45 am

Suckafree wrote:Shaytoon is 12 weeks old and I'm having trouble walking her, im pretty much dragging her behind me for about 10 minutes then she starts to walk, shes much better when we take our other dog with us, still weary though, I bring treats with me but its not working so well, also she doesn't listen well outside, if i tell her sit and give her a hand sign inside the house she does it, but outside I always have to push her butt down...

She sounds scared to me. :dunno: Look into the bridge and target stuff and explain her world to her. It should help you out a LOT! Through B&T, you can teach her what things are, teash her about the leash, walking, body parts, odd noises and objects, teach her to relax on cue, and much more. Reno hated to lay down outside until we started with B&T, and he was much older than 12 weeks!

There are LOTS of online resources to learn bridge and target training. This should help get you started:

www.synalia.com

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=65865

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=57888

Also, look into NILIF:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=59697

Both can help build confidence, which is good too.

Suckafree
Newborn Bully

Postby Suckafree » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:47 am

oh shes great walking off leash, shes always right behind us but with the leash shes a hooch

Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 04100824 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:29 am

Suckafree wrote:oh shes great walking off leash, shes always right behind us but with the leash shes a hooch

Then you can teach her what her leash is and name calm, good walking, light leash, loose leash, etc.

:thumbsup:

Return to “Training and Behavior”