LAYS DOWN ON HIS OWN

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
PAROTO49
Adolescent Bully

LAYS DOWN ON HIS OWN

Postby PAROTO49 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:18 pm

ok so here is the thing.. lately i have been making demond sit and stay and lay down and stay shake before i give him his meal.. and lately i tell him sit.... then stay and put the bowl down, and as soon as i put down the bowl he goes to lay down on his own... i leave the bowl down and make him come back to a sit... but i say stay and then there he goes again..

what can i do.. it seems like he is anticipating wat i want so he can get his food faster!!?

deedeesmom
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby deedeesmom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:34 pm

That is what he is doing, lol. Same if everytime you meet someone on a walk you put him in a down, eventually he learns what is expected and does it on his own. Personally I don't see a problem with it. He is still doing what you want him to do before he eats. He is not setting the rules, he is following yours, just willingly. The only time I would say anticipation is a problem is in competition. In this situation, I actually expect my dogs to automaticly sit before getting fed. They still have to wait for the release command before they can eat.

PAROTO49
Adolescent Bully

Postby PAROTO49 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 pm

ya i guess thats right.. he is just so focused on getting the food he will do things on his own to get it right?

mayb if i start changing things up, making him roll over, or fetch or something.. i bought the B&T book.. and we have been working on it.. demond can now sit, lay put his front paws or just his chin on a chair..and he can also sit on his house in the back yard on command.. haha

Julie K
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: LAYS DOWN ON HIS OWN

Postby Julie K » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:07 pm

PAROTO49 wrote:ok so here is the thing.. lately i have been making demond sit and stay and lay down and stay shake before i give him his meal.. and lately i tell him sit.... then stay and put the bowl down, and as soon as i put down the bowl he goes to lay down on his own... i leave the bowl down and make him come back to a sit... but i say stay and then there he goes again..

what can i do.. it seems like he is anticipating wat i want so he can get his food faster!!?

Anticipation is part of learning, not a bad thing.
Here's what I would do:
Work on just the sit part for now, using the bridging cycles to help him. Stay right beside him, with a hand on him or even a leash to help him--- stop bridging and take the bowl away if he moves or starts to go down. Get him settled and start again. Move the bowl all around him until he is steady, then feed. When using cycles of bridging, it can be for a nanosecond or several cycles; it depends on the animal's level of expertise---they help build duration so it doesn't matter if they are only capable of getting it for a nanosecond at first, the next one you increase the cycle. Dog should understand that when you stop bridging without a terminal bridge, he's made a mistake as both his support signal and opportunity for reinforcement are gone.
It may be too much to ask for all that you are right now.
When he is steady on the sit, do the down, and finally the stand; each one individually until really solid before asking for combinations.
I don't release my dogs out of stays to food---I bring the food to them on their stay location, which can also be a target, but in the beginning, it's right next to them, as I am.
Good luck, great to hear you are trying B&T.
Julie K

Wesam
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Wesam » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:46 pm

Here's my 2 cents:

I would assume that when you usually command your dog to a "down," you use a hand signal as well. I would also assume that the dog is really close to you when you put the food bowl down.

The dog might be seeing your hand go down (as you are setting the food bowl down) and dropping into position.

I taught my dog hand signals. Sometimes when we are practising (while she's on my left) and I bend down to pick up the leash, she drops into a down position. That might be what's happening with you!

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:02 pm

i taught sierra give me her paw , it took 2 treats now when i have a treat and put her in a sit for it she gives me her paw, it doesnt bother me though the result to me is she is tsill working for her treat, sometimes i just mix it up and make her down too. i just say it takes the fun out of it lol

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:07 am

My dog does this, her previous owners pretty much taught her to sit, shake, lay down, roll over all as one trick, if you have a treat it's really hard to get her to just lay down without automatically rolling which drives me nuts, she really doesn't know the tricks, she just understands that series of motions used to get treats. We are working on untraining this and learning commands better.

kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kcalbat » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:15 pm

maybe change the routine... have him go down and then up to a sit...or teach him a new trick...

Return to “Training and Behavior”