Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Excellent.

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 pm

Do you think these same rules apply to young puppies you bring home and try to intigrate into your family? This makes such perfect sense when it comes to a more mature/adult dog so I'm just curious because you always hear the complete opposite with puppies (socialize, socialize, socialize!)??

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:10 pm

Noriko525 wrote:Do you think these same rules apply to young puppies you bring home and try to intigrate into your family? This makes such perfect sense when it comes to a more mature/adult dog so I'm just curious because you always hear the complete opposite with puppies (socialize, socialize, socialize!)??

At first yes, It mimics the two week whelping period that a mother dog does. Then once you create the bond then go to socializing, This helps with dogs of all ages to estabish the leader . This way the puppy feels more safe and secure as it meets other people.
Think of a tiny kid, the world is wonderful and fun, because Mommy and or Daddy are RIGHT There keeping harm at bay, all the more time to play and meet new friends, for nothing bad can happen, theres mommy!

Puppies throwin to fast into socializing learn fast that they have to defend for themselves. Think how many aggressive puppy threads lately are around, could this be part of the problem, too much too fast for baby thinking minds??

zifosgirl
Newborn Bully

Postby zifosgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm

I'm bringing a new addition home tomorrow and I plan on applying this advice, but I have one question. I already have a resident dog (1 1/2 mini schnauzer), so how do I go about with her? Do I need to crate her for almost 2 weeks while the new pup is out? I hope thats not the case because I feel she's already crated too much. I was going to introduce them on neutral grounds first, but I do want to do this right. I'm confused? :oops:

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:48 pm

I'm bringing a new addition home tomorrow and I plan on applying this advice, but I have one question. I already have a resident dog (1 1/2 mini schnauzer), so how do I go about with her? Do I need to crate her for almost 2 weeks while the new pup is out? I hope thats not the case because I feel she's already crated too much. I was going to introduce them on neutral grounds first, but I do want to do this right. I'm confused? Embarassed

Can you use baby gates to separate portions of the house?

zifosgirl
Newborn Bully

Postby zifosgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:22 pm

That's what I was wondering. :huh?: My plan was when I let my mini out and about, I would baby gate the kitchen and place the new pup in there. But I read something about face to face interactions in the article, so I figured that would be out of the question. Plus my mini is very excitable, so I would have to test that out. Then just rotate, let the pup out and crate mini for a little while (but not too long).

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:46 am

zifosgirl wrote:That's what I was wondering. :huh?: My plan was when I let my mini out and about, I would baby gate the kitchen and place the new pup in there. But I read something about face to face interactions in the article, so I figured that would be out of the question. Plus my mini is very excitable, so I would have to test that out. Then just rotate, let the pup out and crate mini for a little while (but not too long).

Easy solution to "face to face" interactions behind the gate. Just cover it with a blanket I would think. *shrugs* Maybe that would work?

tcox
Adolescent Bully

Postby tcox » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:27 am

Great Post!!
Very important information- especially for new foster and adoptive owners.
I'm a member of some other forums; one in particular would strongly reccommend euthanasia for the example stated in the OP. Crazy!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:27 pm

zifosgirl wrote:I'm bringing a new addition home tomorrow and I plan on applying this advice, but I have one question. I already have a resident dog (1 1/2 mini schnauzer), so how do I go about with her? Do I need to crate her for almost 2 weeks while the new pup is out? I hope thats not the case because I feel she's already crated too much. I was going to introduce them on neutral grounds first, but I do want to do this right. I'm confused? :oops:

I wouldnt do the baby gate AT FIRST, (during this two weeks) , as face to face, and espcially with excitable terrier/snauzer breeds, can trigger a bark or mini charge at the gate-face to face.
The new dog is going to feel instant defensive ..or could.

What I would do, is put the resident dog somewhere else, bed room, or somewhere with a door blocking them. You dont have to crate him but put him just somewhere..

Remember the new dog doesnt have to be out for long periods of time.

I take it you crate the dog during work hours or something?
It is ok to crate SIDE BY SIDE during this time. I reccomend a week alone in crate in its own room if possible in your home, then move the crates side by side for the 2nd week.
Dogs will sniff "talk" as dogs do. They dont need to SEE each other, you might want to put cardboard up if you have wire see thru crates, just so they can peek at each other but not stare.

I am happy to hear you are going to follow the two weeks, belive me it will make a HUGE difference for the new dog , as he will see his new humans and check off things on HIS list about you too!

:thumbsup:

scenaria
Newborn Bully

Postby scenaria » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:57 am

is it ever too late to begin this method?

I recently took in an 8 month old.

Instead of putting him right into a crate I was training him to want in the crate by locking a toy in it. He now will walk in and out comfortably but I have not actually locked him in yet. I know he will definately spaz.. Its been 3 days that I have had him. I know he has some bad habits from the previous owner.

I simply dont want him to associate the crate as a bad place..

what you say makes total sense im just wondering if other than beginning the process I should adjust anything... :)

anxious to get started :) as this guy deserves to smile :)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:19 am

youve had him for three days? nope not to late at all! I have some folks I have helped who hit the re start swtich a few weeks if not a month or two into getting a new dog.

An 8month old is at prime time of figuring out who he is and who you are too, so now is the time!

:0 )

Start a new thread in training and if you need guidance we can help you from there..
:thumbsup:

JCleve86
Forum Junky

Postby JCleve86 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:13 pm

I still do this when the schedule gets off and I can see the craziness coming out in Toby. We go back to "settle down" mode...he gets his exercise and his loves and still gets to sleep in my bed with me...but we do more alone time so that he can get more centered (for lack of a better word) again and kind of re-learn the rules of the house...results in a calmer Toby with less whining/carrying on when he does get crated.

Great advice...will definitely stick to it whenever we add a second dog. :thumbsup:

anne-so
Newborn Bully

Postby anne-so » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 am

Wow, great thread and very interesting info you give us there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !! Will definitely be needing this kind of advice if I ever start fostering !!

I have a question though, a bit like scenaria's... In my case, I've had my dog for almost 2 years now... The thing is, I don't think we have that special "bond", the way you seem to be describing it, my dog is pretty fearful and has been this way since we've had her, and although it hasn't gotten any worse, she still is frightened by A LOT of things and I just don't feel that she relies on me whenever she's afraid, I'm not that "mommy" she can turn to when she feels a threat... So, I was wondering if this method could also be used to start things over a bit, re-create some kind of bond between my dog and I, a bond where I could gain her trust so to help her overcome her fears ?

Oh, and by the way, if you prefer I could move this post to the Training or whatever section that is more appropriate, I just posted here because it concerned your two weeks method... But, no problem if you want me to move it, so feel free to ask !

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:35 pm

anne-so wrote:Wow, great thread and very interesting info you give us there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !! Will definitely be needing this kind of advice if I ever start fostering !!

I have a question though, a bit like scenaria's... In my case, I've had my dog for almost 2 years now... The thing is, I don't think we have that special "bond", the way you seem to be describing it, my dog is pretty fearful and has been this way since we've had her, and although it hasn't gotten any worse, she still is frightened by A LOT of things and I just don't feel that she relies on me whenever she's afraid, I'm not that "mommy" she can turn to when she feels a threat... So, I was wondering if this method could also be used to start things over a bit, re-create some kind of bond between my dog and I, a bond where I could gain her trust so to help her overcome her fears ?

Oh, and by the way, if you prefer I could move this post to the Training or whatever section that is more appropriate, I just posted here because it concerned your two weeks method... But, no problem if you want me to move it, so feel free to ask !

It might help..but there might be other things you do that have egged this behavior on a bit.
BUT .. I re started my dog at the ripe age of 5 or 6, that is when I met my traininer. My own dog is aggressive, dog aggressive, decisive , I see now how I let these behaviors grow and what I did to create this dog to be so bad....but post restart and a few years later (if it took 5 years plus to screw up a dog it takes a while to what i did.....)
But I can actually take this seriously aggressive dog into a PETCO (you must think me nuts..oh and he is not a pit bull...he is cute and fuzzy and an as*) But he will walk beside, me and my worse fear happened, a kid reached out and pet him as he walked by us..and my dog didnt do a damn thing (my trainer forces us to do the situations post a year of training.)
And when dogs come by.. in the past my dog would of went nuts trying to eat them, now he AVOIDS THEM AND WALKS BEHIND ME.

wow.. success !!!
He will be forever DA but I can actually control my enviroment and HIM when out in the public (within reason).

So.. its never too late, it just takes more work.

start a new thread in the training, and lets go to the basics.. of what is your routine, and what may be creating the fearful behavior.

I use this 2 week method with every dog here, and my only compliant is sometimes they look at me like I saved them from the world.
Dogs need (!!) someone to look up to, to serve, and to feel they have confidence in, it allows them to relax and let someone else have the burdens of the world.
And believe me they will still step up to bat for thier leader if need be.
This method and with other trainings brings out a calm confident dog.

bonezmama
Adolescent Bully

Postby bonezmama » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 am

I think this post has some very good info. I was wondering though- would u apply this to a dog that isn't new? I've just recently been reunited with my dog after almost 6 months, and he seems to remember most if not all of his training. Would you suggest this method for him as well. It is a new home, but the peope aren't new- except for my sister whom he met last night. I don't have compnay often, so it wouldn't be hard, but i was wondering if maybe it would help him too.

Return to “Training and Behavior”