Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
AssistedSilence
Newborn Bully
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby AssistedSilence » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm

I have put in an application to adopt a 2 yr old pitbull. I will be doing the 2 week shutdown. If he passes all his temperant test and whatnot i will have him :headbang: He is very shy and uncomfortable looking. He doesnt approach anyone and is a bit jumpy or stiff if touched. :/ I hope the 2 week shutdown will help with that. Ill be back if he passes his tests.

BransenThePitweiler
Newborn Bully
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby BransenThePitweiler » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:38 pm

Great article. :thumbsup:

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:11 pm

AssistedSilence wrote:I have put in an application to adopt a 2 yr old pitbull. I will be doing the 2 week shutdown. If he passes all his temperant test and whatnot i will have him :headbang: He is very shy and uncomfortable looking. He doesnt approach anyone and is a bit jumpy or stiff if touched. :/ I hope the 2 week shutdown will help with that. Ill be back if he passes his tests.

Oh I bet it will! Its not unusual for a dog to be completly shut down in a shelter enviroment. a slow easy roll into trust and society can do WOndERS!

let me know how it goes!

:0 )

AssistedSilence
Newborn Bully
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby AssistedSilence » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:45 pm

Yay Baloo passed everything.

Today is his third day with me. I have most def seen a change. He is relaxing his face which he never did before. He only takes treats/food/water only in his crate. So hopefully in a few more days he'll trust me to eat it outside his safe zone. He is a very fearful dog. For instance I was going to take him out for him to do his thing and walk him a bit around the house (i dont have a fence so i just walk him outside around the house, i live in a really small quiet neighborhood almost never any cars or people outside) and it was raining slightly and he ran into his crate pulling me with him lol

He also does not like stairs of any type. He refuses to go up or down stairs. HE doesnt bark either, although this early morning he started to make whining noises. So at least i know he has a voice now lol i just hope he doesn't get into the excessive barking everyone else has encountered. He doesn't play either. he just stares at me. I try to give him a chewy toy or a squeky toy. nothing. He just stares. But i feel he has progressed a lot in 3 days. He is a lot more alert and seems happy to see me when i come to take him out or feed him.

Day 1 with me
Doesn't he loook scared
Image

Image

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:07 pm

Awwwwwwwww he does look sad. But just stay on track , sounds like you are doing a great job. Dont be too soft and coddling (This can create a more fearful dog ..for fearful dogs need someone STRONG to look up to!),
so be fair, calm ..keep offering those yummy treats.
It isnt unusual what you are seeing, some dogs just take a bit longer to come out of their shell and trust humans.
He is So CUTE btw!!!

I cant wait to see him in a few weeks.

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:22 pm

Thank you for adopting! he is very sweet looking.
:0 )

No its not too late at all. It might take a few days for him to fall into pace that you are solid and there for him due to a few mis steps. But all will be well! Just stop, hit the restart and get to know each other!
:thumbsup:

User avatar
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 am
Location: Atlanta , GA

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby SonnysMomma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Ok, i have some questions and am not reading through 19 pages!

I have a dog that we are keeping for a couple days/weeks or permanent, who knows at this point. We are just trying to help from the baby being pts.

During the two week shut down, can he have toys in his crate and what about his food?

Also, we usually stay upstairs, is it ok to keep the crate in a downstairs room with the door closed? That would help us with Sonny trying to go in the room.

And then how do I handle the meet and greet with Sonny and the dog once the two weeks are up? Just briefly in the yard? Or once the two weeks are up, do I just allow the new dog to go outside by himself without Sonny being out there too?

Thats all i can think of right now. Thanks!

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:29 pm

SonnysMomma wrote: Ok, i have some questions and am not reading through 19 pages!


Dont blame ya.. l o l...

SonnysMomma wrote:I have a dog that we are keeping for a couple days/weeks or permanent, who knows at this point. We are just trying to help from the baby being pts.

During the two week shut down, can he have toys in his crate and what about his food?

Is he a pup? a dog? oh and thanks for taking him in. poor guy.
Yes.. toys and chomping things are great in the crate, my favorite are Kongs with "stuff" in em and Nyla bones (skuff new ones as dogs seem to like em better when scuffed?!) I like the Nyla bones that look like a big fist on the end.
Food it depends, if the dog is happy about food and having no food aggression issues, I feed in the crate, its a stress free zone for a new dog (espeically if there are other dogs in the house) to eat food. If the dog is having growling fits or being wierd about food we go a different route.
But happy hogs.. heck eat in their crates. :0 )


SonnysMomma wrote: Also, we usually stay upstairs, is it ok to keep the crate in a downstairs room with the door closed? That would help us with Sonny trying to go in the room.

Yes most definatly. My foster dogs are all downstairs...door shut.. this gives them a true place to hear the house without it being in their face!


SonnysMomma wrote:And then how do I handle the meet and greet with Sonny and the dog once the two weeks are up? Just briefly in the yard? Or once the two weeks are up, do I just allow the new dog to go outside by himself without Sonny being out there too?

Thats all i can think of right now. Thanks!


Its hard to guess. As each dog is so different, the rule of thumb is EASY does it as we go back into the world, if this was a happy house dog, it probably wont be so hard, if the dog was a chained dog or abuse case it might be a bit more time consuming.

Its all about controlling the enviroments, and allowing each dog to know that YOU (or all humans in the house) are there for control.
It starts out slowly, if Sonny is crated , move the new dogs crate side by side to Sonny, if not, allow them to see each other, without dead on charging (even in happy excitment can trigger waught oh moments).,
If not crated, leash the dogs, and have them in the same room not able to reach each other, offer treats and see how the react to each other.
Dont have toys out or high prize items, we are still installing that all humans are above, we dont want competition to break out over toys.
Do "Find me for Food" with the new dog, and when the dogs are out.. I think on page 18 of this thread.. I will have to find it and send the page link.

Outside, again leashes, and watch all body language, if you are alone, tie the most stable dog up and leash the other dog so you can pull one out if they are too rowdy..
Just easy does it, ONE SITUATION AT AT TIME.

but first get to know the dog, get the dog to know you and eassssssssssssy does it! :thumbsup:

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:33 pm

Find me for Food,
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654&start=255

2nd posting down! :thumbsup:

User avatar
SonnysMomma
Forum Junky
Posts: 3609
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:02 am
Location: Atlanta , GA

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby SonnysMomma » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks so much for the info! Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately) the owner reclaimed the dog. Supposedly, he got out of the fence because there were stray dogs around and the pound picked up all dogs.

I will save this information for the future. Thanks so much!

User avatar
ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby ammadien » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 am

Hi luvnstuff,

Great posts and a great article! I did leaf through all 19 pages. My wife and I are planning to adopt a 3 year old gentleman from a local rescue in a couple days. The meet and greet's with our resident pit bull went well, but we completely understand the possibility of them becoming intolerant of each other as they age and can satisfy the needs of each dog individually if the need arises.

We think the 2 week shut down is great and plan to use it with this new dog. He will have a crate in the basement where he will be kept when not out with his people.

Couple questions:

You say no training, which as far as leash corrections and any sort of compulsory training I understand. But we use clicker training and positive reinforcement, so would it be ok to start conditioning his reward response to the clicker? In the first couple of weeks I don't see it getting more intense than that, just clicking and treating, mabe some name recognition.

No leash walking, no problem. Spring pole/flirt pole, tug games, for exercise... I would plan to use treats to get him to release, he's pretty drivey and had a pretty strong bite, so I don't want to discourage his intensity, but this would be an efficient way to exercise in our fenced yard if it's a good idea. Otherwise we can do your round robin since he enjoys frisbee and chasing balls.

Thanks again for this great post. Here is his before pic:

IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/SaraiB/25810_552977551505_11400625_3234980.jpg[/IMG]

Nate

User avatar
ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby ammadien » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:00 am

bah, no edit

Image

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:33 am

ammadien wrote:Hi luvnstuff,

Great posts and a great article! I did leaf through all 19 pages. My wife and I are planning to adopt a 3 year old gentleman from a local rescue in a couple days. The meet and greet's with our resident pit bull went well, but we completely understand the possibility of them becoming intolerant of each other as they age and can satisfy the needs of each dog individually if the need arises.

We think the 2 week shut down is great and plan to use it with this new dog. He will have a crate in the basement where he will be kept when not out with his people.

Couple questions:

You say no training, which as far as leash corrections and any sort of compulsory training I understand. But we use clicker training and positive reinforcement, so would it be ok to start conditioning his reward response to the clicker? In the first couple of weeks I don't see it getting more intense than that, just clicking and treating, mabe some name recognition.

No leash walking, no problem. Spring pole/flirt pole, tug games, for exercise... I would plan to use treats to get him to release, he's pretty drivey and had a pretty strong bite, so I don't want to discourage his intensity, but this would be an efficient way to exercise in our fenced yard if it's a good idea. Otherwise we can do your round robin since he enjoys frisbee and chasing balls.

Thanks again for this great post. Here is his before pic:

IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/SaraiB/25810_552977551505_11400625_3234980.jpg[/IMG]

Nate

Hi Nate. What a beauty of a dog! I always have a soft spot for the "Average" brown dog that tend to get so overlooked. Its one of my favorite bully colors! :inlove: (and I think there is nothing average about it.. btw :)) )

and THANKS for giving him the chance.
And for thinking ahead that the dogs may not be the best of friends, but this doesnt mean you all can not have a great life together with YOU guys!
I find pit bulls love humans more than doggy buddies more than not.

As for clicker training.. just stay to the postitive side of it, with the rewards and treats, and I would think (without being real veresed nor training on clicker training) that this would start to install the good side of "hey click means FOOD!"
High driven dogs tend to be food driven as well.. its all under the "ITS GOOD" :thumbsup:
So you could do the "FIND ME FOR FOOD" excercise with the click too to start installing the "coming to me is great!".

It is not uncommon for a new dog to not want to bite or tug yet,. they just dont have the confidence in you , but some will..just be wary of some that havent learned where to bite or take cheap shots due to lack of that confidence, you dont want the tug to become a challenge nor stressful. If the dog gets too amped up , or bites too close to your hands, just drop the tug/pole.
But any running happy parts ot the game, like spring pole chase, or round robin can help elimanate pent up frustration and stress!
So keep it on the up! and the fun! and this will help him realize what great folks he just landed with!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

User avatar
ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby ammadien » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks so much for your advice and time!

I read a terribly sad article about a pup named mindy that was that brown with a dark muzzle and I've had a soft place in my heart for that color ever since. That all sounds just about perfect, just keeping things light and fun. Thanks again and we'll be posting an after shot in about 2 weeks!

Nate

User avatar
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:34 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:12 pm

ammadien wrote:Thanks so much for your advice and time!

I read a terribly sad article about a pup named mindy that was that brown with a dark muzzle and I've had a soft place in my heart for that color ever since. That all sounds just about perfect, just keeping things light and fun. Thanks again and we'll be posting an after shot in about 2 weeks!

Nate


you are more than welcome. Yup light and fun and positive with time out to absorb. Many forget that as we are getting to know our new dog, they are getting to know us too! So enjoy your dating period ! :0 )
Whatcha gonna name him? I am really in love with his face..omg those big brown eyes, and I I love his white toe btw.


Return to “Training and Behavior”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests