Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
ILoveMyPitBulls
Matured Bully

Postby ILoveMyPitBulls » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:07 pm

:bowdown: :bowdown:
This is an awesome post! I am bringing my new pup home in 3 weeks, so I will have to make sure I follow this!

The "new puppy" thing can get out of hand if you let it.....!

"socialize, socialize, socialize" is what I have always heard about a new dog. I never thought it could start out as simple as you have stated! lol

Thanks for that post, very informative and a GREAT read!! :thumbsup:

luvmypits
Newborn Bully

shut down question

Postby luvmypits » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:14 pm

this is great advice and we are following it.... quick question - my new dog has been in 'shut down' for 5 days now and has started chewing his tail and whining while in his crate.
If I need to move this to a new post, let me know -
here are the details: we got a new dog who is 1 1/2 years old and had some boredom/stress issues where he chases his tail and then chews it raw. His previous owner didn't have the time for him which is when the behavior started. When we got him, we did slow introductions with our resident dog but then they got in a slight tussle. We found this site and began shut down right away.
This has greatly improved the situation with both dogs except now the new dog is eating his tail and whining while in his crate and the resident dog is out with us.
So my question is - should I stop the shut down? probably not but what do I do? We really really want this to work and are willing to do whatever it takes however it is heart-wrenching to hear him whine and know he is eating his tail raw.
Thank you for any help you can provide!!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Ooo lets restart your question in general training (down below!)

I am worried about the chewing.. Some dogs can literally chew their tails OFF.

let me ponder this for a minute as you start a new thread.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:40 pm

sorry in fear of Kosmo shutting down my computer again and loosing the email I wrote to save as I pondered this
I have to double post.. :oops: l o l

but we can cut and paste or quote us later as I still want others to chirp in on the tail chewing!

Ok
been pondering this. He has a history of chewing his tail, when bored or stressed. Number one is make sure this dog is getting ALOT of excercise.. I mean ALOT.
This is how he is eliminating his stress. we must find his confidence, build it and relieve the stress!!! SOON!

Give him a frozen kong of peanut butter or something to chew on or a nyla bone , but you will have to monitor this as some pitties can eat these items easily.

Do you have a dog proof ( I MEAN REALLY DOG PROOF) room you can try instead of the crate? Does he still chew his tail (he might do this when alone and stressed no matter the space).

You might want to think of calling the vet and get him some calming drugs JUST TEMPORARLY , thre are some dogs that do need drugs forever..but most just need a moment . This dog sounds seriously stressed out, My friend has a dog that it literally ate it's tail down to being a nub like a hot dog in the shelter!
So it can become really a horrible thing and we dont want you to come home to a bloody nub.

This dog definatly needs time to think and ponder and take in its new world. As your dog does too to accept him.
Be sure when the dogs are out one at a time they can not SEE each other. make sure the new dog when alone is somewhere calm and out of the way, do not address his whining.. (but dont let it get medically destructive either-thus the suggestion of calming drugs.).
This dog really needs you and all humans in your home to be confident and calm and very fair. The last thing he needs is soft or coddling (not saying that you do.. I really have no idea!)

In time as we build his confidence give him a sound stable enviorment he should calm down..but this has been allowed and has grown before you got him. it might take a few weeks to calm down, some dogs the two week shut down takes a bit longer.

Meatball my last foster is in his new home, they did a two week total shut down, a week of slight dog interaction then two weeks of slight meets and greets to acclimate the dogs to the home.. slowly but surely but they all started off yapping and going nuts from different rooms, to the point when they met it was calm and playful. Taking a long time difused the "excitement" of the new dog in the home .

luvmypits
Newborn Bully

ending shut down

Postby luvmypits » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:53 pm

another question but this one is related to ending shut-down:
in the next week or so, I hope that Jax will be ready to end his shut-down.... his tail chewing is almost over and although he still whines in his crate, it is only for 10 minutes (at most) and then he goes to sleep with no tail chewing!! HURRAY!! (I've posted a bit more on the chewing tail post cuz I did have another question)
He is starting to look to me or my husband for direction and although he seems a bit needy, he doesn't freak out if ignored... just goes to his pad and lays down. He is definitely showing his goofy side which is too dang cute!! :tongue:
Anyway, my question is - do you bring him out of shut-down slowly? As in, do I bring him out of shut-down slowly and then later begin the introduction to my resident dog after that?
Thanks for any help!!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: ending shut down

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:37 pm

luvmypits wrote:another question but this one is related to ending shut-down:
in the next week or so, I hope that Jax will be ready to end his shut-down.... his tail chewing is almost over and although he still whines in his crate, it is only for 10 minutes (at most) and then he goes to sleep with no tail chewing!! HURRAY!! (I've posted a bit more on the chewing tail post cuz I did have another question)
He is starting to look to me or my husband for direction and although he seems a bit needy, he doesn't freak out if ignored... just goes to his pad and lays down. He is definitely showing his goofy side which is too dang cute!! :tongue:
Anyway, my question is - do you bring him out of shut-down slowly? As in, do I bring him out of shut-down slowly and then later begin the introduction to my resident dog after that?
Thanks for any help!!

Yes.. it is slowly we bring dogs into the world. The shut down is just that, a total shut down. Some dogs go and learn and acclimate quickly to life, others are a bit more needy or shy.
We want the dog to gain his confidence, one step at a time with a dog like yours..
Since he came in so insecure, we cant expect him to charge into the world now (not that you are thinking that )

We go with some dogs, to just more priveldges, its good he is looking to you, and as you go to a new situation you will see him look or even lean or walk behind you. We want to praise the eye contact, and even walking behind you, (a pack of dogs always stands behind teh alpha). We still must be careful of not coddling needy behaviour, jumping on you, paws on you, leaning on you, just let it be, to touch or praise can increase his needy/fearful . We want confidence for him to see in you, and the dog on his own.

With other dogs, I do it this way,
if dogs are crated, post the two week shut down I move the crates SIDE BY SIDE (not nose to nose) for the dogs to now look closer, smell closer and see you handle each dog one on one. Do not allow the other dog to run/charge/go to the front door of the others crate. Leash the dog and walk directly out of the room , shoulders up, in control.

Then post one week (more if you see any behaviours you dont like, times are all fluid depending on the dogs) you can bring the dogs out together on leash (with two people). keep dogs on leash, next to handler, maybe give a nyla bone or a kong but each dog is near but not touching, put dog away.
and repeat, each time getting closer when dogs seem relaxed and not 100 % focused on each other. of course they will see and notice each other, but we want them not to forget there are humans handling the situations.

So..each moment is like this.. one step forward.. one new situation at a time, when the dog is relaxed in THAT situation,. then we move forward again.

Some dogs as I said accelrate quickly, Kosmo came in literally belly crawling and WOW, in a few weeks he was still a bit leary but ready to meet the world . Others take a long time to really seem them relaxed.

The slower we do all this, the more confidence we build into the dog. the better he will be in the long run.
:thumbsup:

Meaghan Edwards
Addicted to PBF

Postby Meaghan Edwards » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:18 am

EXCELLENT advice. I'm planning on adopting in the near future, going to keep this all in mind :thumbsup:

wheeljack359
Newborn Bully

This is a Must!

Postby wheeljack359 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:36 pm

I would like to thank you for this posting. When I first read this I wasnt sure if it needed to be done, or if I could do it.

I owe you big I wanted to give my before and after pics and just tell every new dog owner that this is worth every bit of effort it takes to do.
Before

and After

Zues was a good dog to begin with but now weve really bonded. I am confidant in this dogs abilities and weve now started to take lessons outdoors (back yard)

thank you again for this :yay:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 pm

:peace: Thanks for sharing !!! Isnt it amazing! Even in GOOD dogs, their face and body and they way they begin to trust and look to YOU!

I am so glad to read this. Thanks for putting your heart in the freezer and giving Zeus that small "moment" in time to be a more confident and happier dog! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Monika
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Monika » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:01 pm

I cannot believe I haven't read this post before! :goodpost:

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:11 pm

I never did this to my aunts dog and thats his face every time he seems me. :D

Anyways...So put the crate in my room rather then in the living for the first two weeks? If she is downstairs in her crate and I leave the living room she will start to cry and bark.

She sleeps with me now, is that a good thing to start?

Also, she likes to jump at me and bite my hands when playing, but when in a lease she is very relaxed.

When I am not home she is in the crate and when I get home I take her outside and let her do her business. So should I put the crate in my room and let her sit there by herself when I am working?

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:17 pm

BTW, my pup is 3-4 months old, I've had her for 3days now. Is this a good time to do this?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:40 am

yup.. now is the time. Her crate doesnt have to be in your bedroom, actually its best not to.

She has to find her own confidence in being alone. Which means..no sleeping with her either.
She will have to cry and bark it out for a few days.. if you continue to go to her, she will increse in her anxiety about being alone.

Later in life when she understands where she stands and where in the pack order she is, you can "invite" her to your bed here and there if you choose..
but for now..BOOT! l o l

Read this thread too, it has some info that I think will help you !

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 45&start=0

:thumbsup:

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:14 am

The thing is I don't live alone and there are two cats in the house and the only time I am in my room is when I sleep.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:26 am

N2K wrote:The thing is I don't live alone and there are two cats in the house and the only time I am in my room is when I sleep.

ok...
Ok, I always assume people with new dogs are adults in their own house. my bad!
lets take a step back,
how old are you? do you live with your family or roomates?
how many other animals are in the house, besides the two cats?
how many other people?
I will post a "how to introduce your new dog to your cats " hopefully later tonight (at work now)..
If you have to crate the dog in your room that is fine, but "boot!" off the bed she goes.
:0 )

Look at that thread I posted previous, and read the "find me for food" this teaches patience,
as the dog has to sit before getting the treat. Believe me they learn "sit" real quick when they want
a kibble of something yummy!! Its natural to them, just close your hand and say "leave it"
until the dog sits and is calm then open your hand and give the treat.

WIth a multiple person household its all up to you to create a good behaved dog and install your rules
into the household! You can do it!

Back to work I go..hope this helps a bit!

Return to “Training and Behavior”