Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
jamielvsaustin

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby jamielvsaustin » Mon May 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Rellim wrote:So, could this reborn puppy stage be responsible for the dog fighting? My aussie now thinks he is the cutest thing in the world and wants to be him mama. My older pit just ignores him, for the most part, and is now comfortable in the same room. Could Buck be attempting play, in an adult body, which in turn causes the defense response from my dogs? His antics otherwise are very puppy-ful and silly. Like when he gets into the rose garden, he slips through the fence and RUNS back and forth daring me to catch him. It is funny and silly. Or when he thinks I am not looking and sticks his nose under the trash can lid. These are all such puppy antics, you know. I am probably grasping at straws here . . .

***This is me, with my glasses on, scratching my chin...say mmm hmmm. mmm hmm. Look back and forth at you and the other's posting.***

So interesting.

Go on, go on.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Mon May 17, 2010 6:37 pm

Rellim wrote:So, could this reborn puppy stage be responsible for the dog fighting? My aussie now thinks he is the cutest thing in the world and wants to be him mama. My older pit just ignores him, for the most part, and is now comfortable in the same room. Could Buck be attempting play, in an adult body, which in turn causes the defense response from my dogs? His antics otherwise are very puppy-ful and silly. Like when he gets into the rose garden, he slips through the fence and RUNS back and forth daring me to catch him. It is funny and silly. Or when he thinks I am not looking and sticks his nose under the trash can lid. These are all such puppy antics, you know. I am probably grasping at straws here . . .

no dog fighting is not puppy reborn at all. Now they are competing for attention. I think its way way way way to soon to have these dogs interacting..but I see by the above post you have let the dogs come into contact and sniff and come up on the dog in the crate. This can all lead to a big blow out, as you still are not regulating the dogs, you are taking the new dog for a walk still and still trying to handle him on wals (confrontation) you have your exisiting dog run up to his crate (confrontation) you allow the dogs to be loose when he is on leash coming into the house (confrontation)
I see a common worry that things are going too fast still.

The running in the garden when he is alone is playing, yes. But the ignoring, defensive behaviours you are seeing from the other dogs is worrisome.

I acutally have been thinking this for a few days..but now its time to say it again.
"give em a break!" and two weeks is just a first shut down, and a dog that was held in a shelter for this amount of time and at his devlopemental stages, he may need alot more one on one time . As will your other dogs to quell competion for "daddy"
See here is the equation , you do NOT have three dogs.
You have ONE dog THREE times. yup..its alot of work.

:thumbsup:

Rellim
Newborn Bully

Postby Rellim » Mon May 17, 2010 7:55 pm

I totally get what you are saying. Please understand my house is small and there is no place to keep Buck completely away from the other dogs, other than the basement. My house is over 100 years old and my basement is not a very comfortable area. When I am home by myself (which is most of the time as my husband travels extensively), it is much more difficult to keep them apart. Here is what I have been doing.

When I get up in the morning, Buck is in his crate. I let Conan and Annabelle outside, then back in to eat. They both sit and stay for their food until I tell them to eat. Conan finishes first and sits patiently and waits for Annabelle to finish (she is a slooooooooow eater). When they are done, they go back outside for a bit. This is their typical routine.

I then get Buck out of his crate, he gets a drink of water, then we go for our morning potty walk. We walk down the street about 3 houses, he does his business, and we go home. He sits to put on his leash and to take it off. He sits and stays until I put his food bowl on the ground and tell him to eat. He eats, drinks, then back in his crate.

I let the other 2 in. I open the door to the crate, Buck sits, and I put on his leash. We walk out to the backyard, he sits, and I remove the leash. He stays outside for about 10 minutes while I go back inside. When he has done his business and hung out for a bit, he sits for the leash, and we come inside and he goes to his crate, where is is unleashed.

I pretty much have the same routine when I get home, except we have some play time in the house and in the yard after he eats. He also goes out for his final potty walk around 9:30 or 10.

If the weather is nice and the 2 dogs want to spend the evening outside and I am staying inside, I let Buck out of his crate for no more than 20 minutes at a time. He is learning to LEAVE IT, and loves to learn and practice his obedience. It seems to keep his mind busy, and he stays out of trouble.

I DO spend time with my other 2 dogs, both inside and outside. We play and just hang out. They are both well-behaved, Conan more so than Annabelle. They are both very respectful and ask permission to eat, sit with me on the couch, wait until asked to get into and out of the car, etc., and both are pretty good on a leash. When I am working in the yard or busy around the house, they typically follow me around and are 2 or 3 steps behind me. Conan is even pretty good off leash. He is tuned into his humans and completely respects them. I have worked very hard not to upset the 2 dogs' routine, but some of the change has been inevitable.

Do you have any other suggestions?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat May 22, 2010 8:28 am

Sorry Rellim I have been a bit out of touch recently.

I will read your whole post soon.

But for now, when keeping the dogs seperated, even a baby gate or even a box /cardboard barrier can keep a dog from being able to rush up to other dogs space. Sure bullys can leap over them with ease usually, but just the fact that their
are small barriers can stop the stress and keep some control while shuffling.

When in small spaces or by ourselves we have to think creatitive, for you are right we all dont have extra rooms, doors . So think in a bigger picture,
I even park dogs in my bathroom while shuffling alot..

its funny one dog runs in, I say "bathroom" or "living room" and they now will either go right and go into the bathroom or left into the living room that has an old trash picked baby gate barrier!

ok more later.

keep up the good work.

Rellim
Newborn Bully

Postby Rellim » Sun May 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks for your reply. And just FYI, the other 2 dogs do not rush Buck when we walk the 20 feet to the back door. They respect his space and just watch him. He wants to go see Annabelle. I am thinking that maybe this weekend we will take them all to a neutral location and walk and walk and walk, changing up who is in front an who walks each dog. If all goes well, maybe try a little time in the house out of the crate with all 3 on leashes. Overall, things are settling down. Body language between the pits is telling me they are being friendly. Body language with the Aussie? Can't figure it out. Regardless of the language, none of them are ready to be off leash together. Baby steps.

Again, thanks for all of your great advice and encouragement. I REALLY want this to work out.

Vivid
Newborn Bully

Re: Two week shut down question

Postby Vivid » Wed May 26, 2010 10:32 pm

Congrats on the new family member. Post pics when you can... please :-)

Is there some way for you to distract her from the dogs? Maybe walk her around the block instead of taking her in the back yard.

Leah
Newborn Bully

Postby Leah » Thu May 27, 2010 6:19 am

Avoidance would be your best option. If you absolutely can't avoid the neighbour's dogs, try bringing treats and luring her attention back to you. Not only will you avoid making a scene, but you'll also be laying a foundation for the 'watch' command later on which is super helpful with reactive dogs.

MikeInTacoma

Postby MikeInTacoma » Thu May 27, 2010 6:36 am

Can you take her out a different door?

jamielvsaustin

Postby jamielvsaustin » Thu May 27, 2010 7:10 am

I think capturing is the least invasive sort of training in the situation....minus of course what Wegobad said-because that makes perfect sense too.

To capture a behavior, you simply treat her the second she stops paying attention to the other dogs. It requires a lot of patience from you though, and that's hard sometimes.

I think the most common rule across the board for dog training is to ignore behavior that is undesired and reward behavior that is desired.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu May 27, 2010 9:17 am

Whatever you do, don't "correct" her! That will only teach her that she's right to freak out about barking dogs, because barking dogs=mom gets mad at her.

Can you put up a visual barrier along the fence line, something such as shade cloth? Or just walk her on her leash out the front door to do her business.

Good luck!

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Thu May 27, 2010 9:21 am

For the long-term fence fighting issue, here's a wonderful approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yOJ4s0cgCY

Essentially, what this woman is doing is rewarding the dogs heavily for ignoring the fence fighting neighbor dogs and coming back to her. She's teaching the dogs to associate barking dogs at fence=mom gives me an awesome treat when I pay attention to her instead of those silly neighbor dogs.

Correcting your dog when she pulls toward the other dog teaches her " new dog=pain and mom freaking out, so I'd better act fast"
Rewarding your dog with extraordinary treats when another dog is nearby teaches her "new dog=only good things, especially if I glance at the new dog and then turn back to mom"

So: go outside with the world's most spectacular treats (I use fish skin, which is disgusting but effective) and give her yummy treats for paying the slightest bit of attention to you.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu May 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi welcome and congrats on your new dog! woot woot!
There has already been some GREAT advice , I agree totally and yes yes to Tivas posts there.

Another thing is we now have the job of not creating a line of aggression/excitment/frustration at that fence line.
The leash is a great way, there are longer lunge lines you can get at stores like Walmart (they arent super strong, as most are made out of cotton) but they can allow a longer potty walk in the yard and still maintain leash control if needed.

I have tarps up on my fence, but dogs are dogs , they hear what I see, so the battle is on when dogs are at the fence acting a fool drawing your dog in.
Alot of time is starts as curious, to excitment, to frustration to aggression.
So fence fighting can become a serious issue.

Kennels are great if you can afford one just for some outside time, and this again draws the line of defense at the kennel line which we can park WAY away from the fence.
But, even doing all this, Tivas and others, are right we want to really work and work with the dog to TEACH that the dogs are nothing important nor exicting as we are.

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm several pages into this thread and just grateful for clicking on it!

We just adopted Kylie, a 18mo-2yo pit mix - we have 3 young daughters (5,3,3). [url=here's me introduction]http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=136201[/url].

We instinctively knew to not introduce her to a lot of people or take her places. And when we saw her getting overwhelmed/anxious from our kids, would put her in her kennel. She came to us crate-trained. :) Kylie seemed grateful to be away from their noise and loves. (My kids try to be respectful, but with such little ones, sometimes they cannot help it.)

Now I'm looking at this in a whole new light! Thank you so much! I'll be plugging away on this thread! Hurray!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 pm

KsMomma wrote:I'm several pages into this thread and just grateful for clicking on it!

We just adopted Kylie, a 18mo-2yo pit mix - we have 3 young daughters (5,3,3). [url=here's me introduction]http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=136201[/url].

We instinctively knew to not introduce her to a lot of people or take her places. And when we saw her getting overwhelmed/anxious from our kids, would put her in her kennel. She came to us crate-trained. :) Kylie seemed grateful to be away from their noise and loves. (My kids try to be respectful, but with such little ones, sometimes they cannot help it.)

Now I'm looking at this in a whole new light! Thank you so much! I'll be plugging away on this thread! Hurray!

5 3 and 3 you are a busy family ! :0 )
did you find in your clicking the Find me For Food? This is a great way to install where doggy belongs in the pack and can help alot in not jumping on little ones .
Its great that you are working on the family in regards to the crate being Kylies spot. Keep working on it, you might want to set up a living room spot that is doggies to. A place for the dog to go to to get away from all the busy lil bodies.
:0)
Congrats on your adoption! Glad your insticnts already kicked in awesome! :0 )

PorkyPig
Newborn Bully

Postby PorkyPig » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:29 pm

Maybe I've gone too long. Maybe someone can help us. MY buddy (Porky) has been with me for 2 months. We been fighting his heart worm. The first 10 days we had him, day 10 was when he had his first vet visit. But before that he had no problem with sleeping in his crate. He spent some time with me and strayed from others for a bit, but after that vet visit he was bouncing off the walls barking when he was quit and so to himself. He just came home yesterday from wrapping up his last HW treatment so we're glad he's home but I have had some trouble training him. Can I train a 2 year old pit bull that has had a rough past. He's all scared up from fighting but he's so handsome. On the other hand he chews everything, barks when anyone's gate opens (which is new it used to be just our gate) chases my kids around but they act like weirdos anyway but I don't want anyone getting hurt, when he bites he's just playing but my kids are young. If he bites my arm I tell him NO (calmly with what I think is the right body language). On another note I have poor circulation in my legs so if he bites my leg it's instant pain and usually bleeding. So feed back on this would be great, he's just got so much energy sometimes. He's gotten out on us a few times but he comes back I think he just wants to run and I wish I could take him off his leash at the fields near our house but I can't trust him yet. Also I hope I don't have to make this a new topic my copy and pasted doesn't work.

Thanks

Return to “Training and Behavior”