Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:25 pm

PorkyPig wrote:Maybe I've gone too long. Maybe someone can help us. MY buddy (Porky) has been with me for 2 months. We been fighting his heart worm. The first 10 days we had him, day 10 was when he had his first vet visit. But before that he had no problem with sleeping in his crate. He spent some time with me and strayed from others for a bit, but after that vet visit he was bouncing off the walls barking when he was quit and so to himself. He just came home yesterday from wrapping up his last HW treatment so we're glad he's home but I have had some trouble training him. Can I train a 2 year old pit bull that has had a rough past. He's all scared up from fighting but he's so handsome. On the other hand he chews everything, barks when anyone's gate opens (which is new it used to be just our gate) chases my kids around but they act like weirdos anyway but I don't want anyone getting hurt, when he bites he's just playing but my kids are young. If he bites my arm I tell him NO (calmly with what I think is the right body language). On another note I have poor circulation in my legs so if he bites my leg it's instant pain and usually bleeding. So feed back on this would be great, he's just got so much energy sometimes. He's gotten out on us a few times but he comes back I think he just wants to run and I wish I could take him off his leash at the fields near our house but I can't trust him yet. Also I hope I don't have to make this a new topic my copy and pasted doesn't work.

Thanks

Hi..well..that was alot in one post.. :)) But yes..doggy is feeling better now and showing you a bit of his true and honest personality...along with WEEEEEEEEE a much happier and free-er attitude too.
BUT...
He needs to learn now to be a DOG not an abuse case. So hang up feeling sorry for him, leash his butt in the house, so what he was fought and was sick (Even if in our hearts we feel this way) we dont want him to know we feel sorry for him, its time to SUCK IT UP BUTTER CUP and get on with life.

The leash will stop him from chasing kids, we DO NOT WANT THIS, as of right now he doesnt know his limits and boundries nor probably control of his mouth, if he was fought he was allowed to bite at will and encouraged, we want him to learn to CONTROL his emontial and physical state .. it can be done! But yes its work.

I want you to go back and really read this two week shut down, and re start it, excercise in the yard, do some running Round Robin games, even if you have to leash him with a long lunge line, he needs an energy out..but we are going to hit restart on this dog, nope its not too late, but after 2 months of treatments and getting away with probably a bit too much it will take a bit longer to gain control of him !

He can not bite, if he does , get up and walk away from him, leash him under the couch leg or something, we do not want to encourage or allow him to chomp . Do get a tug or something he CAN bite ..I dont want you to go out and full balls tug with him yet, as he probably will go from a chomp to oblivion but some light tugging, if he seems tuned out in his eyes let go of the tug, dont worry we arent allowing him to "win" but we are not going to allow him to go over the top in biting.
This is hard to explain, but ... you might already see this in him... when he is playing if he seems "tuned out" .
We want him to have fun but not over the top weeeee...

does this make sense so far?

do you have other dogs in the house?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

ps porky..thank you for adopting!

And here is another thread that might be helpful , it talks near the end of prey drive and spring/pole games.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88345&start=30

and a video of Woody showing us how to play "Round Robin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Nxsu-6wps

notice in games we still have "Rules" .. we can start installing new rules, like in the video of "come" and "out" even tho the dog is doing these actions at will ! ITs a win win!

ok homework now for you...I will check in on you later today or tomorrow! :thumbsup:

PorkyPig
Newborn Bully

Postby PorkyPig » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:37 pm

Yes it makes perfect sense and he's the only dog, my buddy Pork. He only had 2 sessions of treatment one overnight a month ago and last one this pasted weekend. We didn't know he had it for the first 2 weeks. I guess the long wait was more in account of my childhood dream of getting a puppy came true. Even know I'm grown and so is he. No babying or buttercups here lol, thank you so much for lending your advice and I will work on pushing forward. Any other advice would be helpful.

Thanks again
Dave & Porky

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:23 pm

I stuck with the shut down, and we're now 4 weeks into a wonderful Zelda! I didn't keep Zelda put away as much as I thought the shut down was "about" but I did put her away when she got anxious with the kids. I added clicker training, and that made her much more confident. I also exercised her before I let the kids outside, and started putting the leash on her in the house.

Today, Zelda is a different dog. Confident, more tolerant of the kids noise, far less pulling on the leash. She is showing her excited-to-meet-people side, and wants to jump on the couple of visitors she's met, but nothing we cannot overcome. She made me proud today - when my littlest wandered off around the side of the house, Zelda dropped her toy and went alert, watching her. She was on the leash, or she would have followed. (We were in the unfenced front yard at the time.)

Now that we're coming out of shut-down mode, Zelda gets to walk every morning. Then we can all play in the backyard together, and I don't worry with her running by and jumping up and nipping/mouthing. She is getting a toy shopping trip on payday! :) (She's not coming on the shopping trip though!)

I'm glad that Porky has a loving family and he's going to be a wonderful member of your. :)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 pm

KsMomma wrote:I stuck with the shut down, and we're now 4 weeks into a wonderful Zelda! I didn't keep Zelda put away as much as I thought the shut down was "about" but I did put her away when she got anxious with the kids. I added clicker training, and that made her much more confident. I also exercised her before I let the kids outside, and started putting the leash on her in the house.

Today, Zelda is a different dog. Confident, more tolerant of the kids noise, far less pulling on the leash. She is showing her excited-to-meet-people side, and wants to jump on the couple of visitors she's met, but nothing we cannot overcome. She made me proud today - when my littlest wandered off around the side of the house, Zelda dropped her toy and went alert, watching her. She was on the leash, or she would have followed. (We were in the unfenced front yard at the time.)

Now that we're coming out of shut-down mode, Zelda gets to walk every morning. Then we can all play in the backyard together, and I don't worry with her running by and jumping up and nipping/mouthing. She is getting a toy shopping trip on payday! :) (She's not coming on the shopping trip though!)

I'm glad that Porky has a loving family and he's going to be a wonderful member of your. :)

:nana: :nana: :nana: awesome! Happy happy reading there! And yea.. each dog is different and you did very good reading your own dogs cues for stress or anxious behaviours! Awesome! and yup.. tiny to medium steps as you venture out in the world .

The "Find me for food" is a GREAT way to teach "four on the floor" when meeting people, I have had foster dogs actually sit and SCOOTCH up to people at adopt a days hoping for a treat or a pet ! so much nicer than jumping on people!
I think is in this thread here if you didnt see it in this long thread!
And here is another thread that might be helpful , .

Great job!!!!! :peace: :bowdown: :peace: :bowdown:

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 pm

luvnstuff wrote: :nana: :nana: :nana: awesome! Happy happy reading there! And yea.. each dog is different and you did very good reading your own dogs cues for stress or anxious behaviours! Awesome! and yup.. tiny to medium steps as you venture out in the world .

The "Find me for food" is a GREAT way to teach "four on the floor" when meeting people, I have had foster dogs actually sit and SCOOTCH up to people at adopt a days hoping for a treat or a pet ! so much nicer than jumping on people!
I think is in this thread here if you didnt see it in this long thread!
And here is another thread that might be helpful , .

Thanks! I'm going to paw through this thread to see if I can find it.

I am thinking of putting a sign on the door so that people know Zelda is in training, and would they mind helping out. She jumps on my husband when he gets home (she's so excited and they love playing together) so I have that opportunity for training each and every day.

Zelda is a smart cookie (aren't they all?) so I have no doubt that she'll pick this up quickly. I have to keep reminding myself, it's been only 4 weeks, and it takes time to help a dog become what you both want. :) At this moment, a sleepy Zelda is napping at my feet. A couple of weeks ago, she wouldn't have felt comfortable sleeping like this. What a fun journey - not my first dog, but the first dog I have raised, trained and lived with intentionally.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:14 pm

ok..for hubby..he can play with her, but BE sure he has her SIT before romping.. See if she runs in and leaps on him and its all wEEEEE we are inadvertenly (sp??) teaching her to leap and be a butt head and get tons of praise.
So its OK to play of course.. but all games have rules! Sit..then play..and be sure she has a toy to chomp not hands etc.

Pets and play and praise are just as good as treats.. its all GOOD :0 )

did you find the find me for food? I dont know if my last link worked..try this one

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:29 pm

luvnstuff wrote:ok..for hubby..he can play with her, but BE sure he has her SIT before romping.. See if she runs in and leaps on him and its all wEEEEE we are inadvertenly (sp??) teaching her to leap and be a butt head and get tons of praise.
So its OK to play of course.. but all games have rules! Sit..then play..and be sure she has a toy to chomp not hands etc.

Pets and play and praise are just as good as treats.. its all GOOD :0 )

did you find the find me for food? I dont know if my last link worked..try this one

We're going to start that this very evening when he gets home. I will make sure that he turns away from her if she's jumping on him. It's not extreme by any means, but Zelda (and most other dogs I'm sure) does better with boundaries. :)

What you gave wasn't a link, but I looked and is it this one? http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81654&p=1739532&hilit=find+me+for+food#p1739532

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm

LOL..yup that is it!! (yes I AM an idiot...l o l !!)

:thumbsup:

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:59 pm

luvnstuff wrote:LOL..yup that is it!! (yes I AM an idiot...l o l !!)

:thumbsup:

Are you kidding me!?!? You're definitely rockin' the information. :headbang:

By the way, Zelda did great this evening. She was jumping but caught on quick that she wasn't getting any attention, positive or negative, that way. And as soon as she sat and was calm.....hot dog!

Thanks!!! :)

Carrie and Zelda

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm

aww youre too nice! But glad I could help in a tiny way!
And yup..they catch on pretty fast! For you are right they are smart!!

Keep updating! I will be out of town for a few days..without dogs (GASP...but they dont fit on the bike... l o l ).
But I will definatly check in when I get back to see how you guys are doing!

KsMomma
Newborn Bully

Postby KsMomma » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:57 pm

luvnstuff wrote:aww youre too nice! But glad I could help in a tiny way!
And yup..they catch on pretty fast! For you are right they are smart!!

Keep updating! I will be out of town for a few days..without dogs (GASP...but they dont fit on the bike... l o l ).
But I will definatly check in when I get back to see how you guys are doing!

Woot! Zelda is continuing to ROCK her walks through the neighborhood. I'm hoping that we can starts to phase in jogging - we both need it!

We figured out that Zelda's barking at being approached by people was fear-based, but also with lots of excitement because she wants to meet people. She's clearly feeling a lot of different emotions. When meeting my mom and my sister today, I made she that we approached them (no barking that way!) and they had treats for Zelda if she sat nicely. Success!!!! On our evening walk, Zelda and I ran into neighbors (she has met them before) and she got clicks and treats from me when she approached them without jumping. And more clicks and treats for not barking at another neighbor in his yard.

Zelda is now sleeping in our room (the last 7 days) on the floor. She doesn't move all night, and she doesn't leave her sleeping spot until I am out of bed. Even if the kids or my husband get up and go downstairs, she is right there until I am up. (Which tells me that he needs to start getting on board, but that is another story!)

I have always talked about Zelda and her being "confident". It seems that some people here are using "confident" along side words like "dominant" and "bossy". Zelda's default is to be nervous/anxious/insecure so when I say confident, I mean "feeling good about herself". :) Just thought I would mention that since I have seen confident used in a more negative sense at times on threads. :)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:53 am

Hi I am a bit concerned. Taking him in is very admirable but he could need and probably really needs medical looking at . Not eating could be stress ..teeth...parasites..many things. And the fact you have to hide him is not good for you . can you tell us where you located and maybe we here at pbf might know of some low cost places or some help groups. Sadly it seems every state is dealing with thousands of dogs just like chief but we can try......

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Ok Ga it is.;) don't drive four hours w/o calling and talking to a real person at the rescue so many are full. Going to send out SOS from my page ...hold tite!

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:28 am

kenoma wrote:Thanks so much!!

nothing yet...but keeping on poking around..hoping something will come thru on an idea of a place or person or two.
:0 (

Return to “Training and Behavior”