Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Re: Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

AH ..ah WOW. look at that expression in his eyes! They shine thru !" WHAT NEXT HUH HUH HUH".
thats great! I like both names really. ;0 )
Now just do one situation at a time, its isnt a flood gate of life post the shut down, and look for signs of stress and pull back out of a situation, not like litearally.but .. if on a walk and you see him just panting or posturing different. learn HIS signs and when he is telling you enough for a minute! Then you can adventure out again in a few hours or even a day or two and he will keep going forward forward and more forward!
what a cutie!
:inlove:

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:04 pm

he looks great!!!! I love the rooing! My bt mutt roos as a play initiator and it makes me laugh everytime!

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Einstein got neutered yesterday and he's already wanting to play with Ganymede. I'm keeping them apart but now they've seen each other from a distance and when they don't want to play, they just lie down in the same room and ignore each other. I have been watching Einstein closely for signs of stress, but he seems very laid back ...the thing that really bothers him is the sound of his cone scraping on things lol

Condensed version: Until Einstein heals, I'm going to keep interaction to a minimum.

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:25 pm

starrlamia wrote:he looks great!!!! I love the rooing! My bt mutt roos as a play initiator and it makes me laugh everytime!

I was hoping he would "roo" .. it's hilarious. Ganymede does it too, but Einstein has a "deeper" roo. Not sure how to explain it :tongue:

Enamorada
Super Bully

Postby Enamorada » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Soo...I am posting here again because we just unexpectedly adopted an APBT. On the 14th of July she'll be 6 months old. The man we got her from said he didn't really spend time training her. She knows sit and that's about it.

I know that with puppies this process is a bit different. Please advise. :curtsy:

Kahne131
Matured Bully

Postby Kahne131 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:07 am

Thank you so much for this! I just took in a 3rd dog yesterday and I am doing the Two week shut down with her... So far so good I will post some before and after pictures in two weeks!

Also I didnt do this when kahne came to me and I really think I might try it with him also we see if it will creat a stronger bond between us.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Enamorada wrote:Soo...I am posting here again because we just unexpectedly adopted an APBT. On the 14th of July she'll be 6 months old. The man we got her from said he didn't really spend time training her. She knows sit and that's about it.

I know that with puppies this process is a bit different. Please advise. :curtsy:

Shhoot I didnt see this til now. how is it going dangit..I saw your name on the last entered and thought it was from the previous posts :0 (

I think the biggest thing of the two week shut down is that it really is a no stress time for the dog, and a get to know you period without putting demands or expectations on dog or human.
With multiple dog homes I can not stress enough how dogs , espeically terrier breeds, bold breeds, and pit bulls will relax if they think their new humans are in control., rushing forces the existing dog to feel totally invaded, and the new dog to feel defensive.
This can lead to horrible outcomes in the first few weeks. Remember dogs do NOT have to SEE or SNIFF or be right in front of each other to learn who is who in the home.
What may look like a totaly playful romp and sniff fest may indeed be more a "sizing you up" moment, that can lead to stress to the dogs, stress leads to tension..tension leads to postures, postures can lead to panic/fights/bites.

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:52 pm

I really enjoyed reading this! I've only read the main post and not the comments yet, but so interesting! It makes such perfect sense!

Molly just came to us yesterday. She was at someone elses house for two weeks (they found her and saw someone throw her from a car :( ) She is already relaxing a bit but so timid still. I enjoyed the before and after pictures.

Here is Molly's before!

I can't wait to see her after :)

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:55 pm

grip wrote:i wish i would have read this thread 2 weeks ago, but it turns out i used common sense, and didn't do horribly according to the 2 week break rule.

this sunday will be 2 weeks with my apbt Zoe. she is crate trained, but i only crated her one day, and she has been really good free roaming everyday....except for today....

i came home after a day of work, and she chewed on the wooden feet of my dining room table a little bit.

looks like i will have to go back to leaving her in the crate all day while i am at work.

any opinions, or suggestions?

Just thought I'd say that I never trust a dog unattended. Even the best dogs can be bad when no one is looking. My dog trainer told a story about his friends GSD who was a very good dog. But one day, during a bad storm, the dog got anxious and chewed on an electrical cord. The dog was electrocuted and died. The dog was like 8 or 9 years old, had always been a good boy. But something just snapped I guess you could say.

And besides, dogs are den animals. Every dog I've ever had that I crate trained enjoyed their kennel. All of my dogs willingly sleep in their kennels with the kennel door wide open.

AllisonPitbullLvr

Postby AllisonPitbullLvr » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

THANK YOU for this!!!

Just sent it to Ava's new family! :-) I may make it required reading from here on out.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Heather9603 wrote:I really enjoyed reading this! I've only read the main post and not the comments yet, but so interesting! It makes such perfect sense!

Molly just came to us yesterday. She was at someone elses house for two weeks (they found her and saw someone throw her from a car :( ) She is already relaxing a bit but so timid still. I enjoyed the before and after pictures.

Here is Molly's before!

I can't wait to see her after :)

HI ! What a cutie.... and I cant wait to see pictures of her in a few weeks... I think you will see a big change! (and karma to those who threw her out the car..jack hats..)

As for dogs being left alone, some dogs out of anxiety will do amazing things in ways of hurting themselves, trashing a room, chewing, pooping, etc.
Boredom can lead to the same behaviours in chewing and just random getting into things. It can help sometimes to set the crate in a quiet dog proof room, even open if you are gone for long hours. A place away from busy streets and or windows. Also one can use baby gates to close off areas, just smaller areas and more "enclosed" can relax a dog, having stimulus (windows, noise, neighbors..mailperson ..etc etc) can trigger excitement, barking and lead to the need to release stress - aka CHEW. also be sure there are proper available things to chew, nyla bones, kongs frozen with yummys inside, or your dogs SAFE choice. Chewing is a major stress relief for dogs !!

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Yeah she's starting to relax. Managed to get a couple of shots with her tongue hanging out and tail wagging.

She goes crazy for her marrow bone. Just gnawing and gnawing. But I have to take it away at night because she keeps us awake with it lol

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Heather are you suggesting that for a dogs entire life you wouldn't trust any dog to be left uncrated?

Heather9603
Newborn Bully

Postby Heather9603 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:51 pm

FBODGRL wrote:Heather are you suggesting that for a dogs entire life you wouldn't trust any dog to be left uncrated?

Just personally, I don't trust my dogs uncrated when no one is home. But my dogs have never really cared, they love their kennels.

tethys13
Newborn Bully

Postby tethys13 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I have wanted a second dog for about 6 months so this is a great post of info here if my boyfriend and I decide to get another. Right now my dog has the entire ( empty) basement to roam while we are at work. He also has his crate but I have to be very watchful of what he gets to sleep on. Something minus stuffing is preferred he loves chewing anything with stuffing! He does very well though and is much happier with space during the day. It is true about the separation thing I did that with my two cats and the dog. I let them slowly meet each other. We recently moved into a house with a fenced in yard so my babe gets more exorcise running and space. The cats have my office as their personal space.

It was a God send when we moved from the previous much smaller residence.

I am looking into buying a large kennel for him though. Once I purchase the washer and dryer I'll need to keep my dog from the laundry;-) nothing he likes better than playing with my clothes. I swear I need to clicker train him to do the laundry ha!

Thanks for the post VERY INFORMATIVE!

Return to “Training and Behavior”