Two Weeks! Give em a break! :0 )

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:49 pm

luvnstuff wrote:how old are you? do you live with your family or roomates?
how many other animals are in the house, besides the two cats?
how many other people?
If you have to crate the dog in your room that is fine, but "boot!" off the bed she goes.
:0 )

I am 21 and I live with mom and step-dad.

As for other animals just my step-dad and two lazy cats. lol

I have her crate in the living room under a desk. This morning I woke her up took her outside, fed her then put her in her crate before I got ready for work I could hear her barking for a while all the way upstairs in the shower. As I started leaving she stayed calm in her crate just looking at me. So I said good girl and gave her a treat. She would usualy start to cry if I left the living room, which she didn't this morning. As I walked out the door and didn't hear any more barking.

I know this is to soon to tell, but starting tonight have her sleep alone?

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Sorry for the typos, trying to type while installing software on a Win98 maching sucks.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:58 pm

Yup. no better time than tonight to start the sleeping in her crate..she probably will cry and whine a bit..so be prepared.

Thanks for the fill in's on the home enviroment , helps me think and ponder correctly.

Be sure too she is getting EXCERCISE.. rule number one is always
"A tired dog is a good dog! " :thumbsup:
So this means maybe in the morning you can get her running and playing a bit? or however your schedule fits.

And ps, I thought I was the only one left with an antique of Win98.
l o l !!!

:))

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:01 pm

Maybe a little tug o war in the morning would be good. Even though she is still healing she is so strong already. Doc said she is healing fine, so what ever I been doing is working. Ill try to get her tired enough were she doesnt have to force much.

BTW, I am working on this PC, customers, not mine. :D

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:08 pm

N2K wrote:Maybe a little tug o war in the morning would be good. Even though she is still healing she is so strong already. Doc said she is healing fine, so what ever I been doing is working. Ill try to get her tired enough were she doesnt have to force much.

BTW, I am working on this PC, customers, not mine. :D

oh someone is paying you to fix an antique? l o l !!
*knock on wood..mine is still werkin...*

Oh a game of tug would be GREAT! excercises mind and body. Did she recently get spayed? then yes..be careful.

Be sure to make her "sit " wait for the tug.. tug good, work on "outs" and patience..this will tire her and teach her, for working the mind makes even a young pup more tired!

:thumbsup:

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:18 pm

Found her on Sunday, picked her up Monday. She already wanted to play with my aunts pit/lab. (my aunt picked her up for me)

I wanted her in my room because I know my step dad will cry about the dogs barking. But if she is quiet tonight then ill go ahead and leave her, if not should i attempt to try it my room? It would be like restarting the process?

All my customers have Win98, about 150 customers. Emissions machines are a lil out dated. lol

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:07 pm

N2K wrote:Found her on Sunday, picked her up Monday. She already wanted to play with my aunts pit/lab. (my aunt picked her up for me)

I wanted her in my room because I know my step dad will cry about the dogs barking. But if she is quiet tonight then ill go ahead and leave her, if not should i attempt to try it my room? It would be like restarting the process?

All my customers have Win98, about 150 customers. Emissions machines are a lil out dated. lol

In your room is fine, as long as she is crated, we want the best and safest and quietest enviroment for her, if you step dad goes to her , yells or whatever if she is barking for a night or two that isnt any good,.. not saying he will but it is human nature.. l o l.

And yup we want to hit "re start" , by letting her play with other dogs right now as she is so new to you , we risk her bonding with the dog and not you, she can play later, once she knows you are her leader and she can look to you for guidance and decisions ! :thumbsup:

here is the kitty article I was speaking of..

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=89517

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:26 pm

I put her in my room with a towel covering the top. She seems very comfortable, and is quiet. Should I be checking in on her time to time?

Also, when I had her downstairs she would pee on her towel. I take her in the morning and when I get home for lunch and after work. I am guessing she is still not used to the schedule?

When I take her outside and she wants to play tug o war, she actually sits till I dangle the toy in front of her to bite on. Good progress?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:06 am

N2K wrote:I put her in my room with a towel covering the top. She seems very comfortable, and is quiet. Should I be checking in on her time to time?

Also, when I had her downstairs she would pee on her towel. I take her in the morning and when I get home for lunch and after work. I am guessing she is still not used to the schedule?

When I take her outside and she wants to play tug o war, she actually sits till I dangle the toy in front of her to bite on. Good progress?

Did you read the thread I refered too, that had the "prey drive" and the "tug lesson" in it? Yes..seems she is starting to show some patience., which is always good, now get that toy a running as descibed in the lesson.

I wouldnt check on her , unless you want to get her out for a potty call at night, just let her snooze it out.

good job!

N2K
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby N2K » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:47 pm

So should I let her out to potty on the usual time, and one time of play time?

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:49 am

I have a question about this. I recently picked up a 7-8 mo old puppy (mixed breed, not pit bull) on the side of the road (see my post in the rescue section). I am trying to do the shutdown right now. We don't really have a backyard, because it is paved for parking. There is an empty lot right next to our house that is grassy that I play with my other dog in. There are a lot of different smells in this lot, I'm sure. It is on a corner, bordered by two streets. At times, there is quite a bit of traffic going by, as well as people walking down the street. My question is, is this too much stimulation for this puppy during the shutdown phase? How much time should we spend outside? We have to walk around for a pretty long time before he will go to the bathroom.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Roxers wrote:I have a question about this. I recently picked up a 7-8 mo old puppy (mixed breed, not pit bull) on the side of the road (see my post in the rescue section). I am trying to do the shutdown right now. We don't really have a backyard, because it is paved for parking. There is an empty lot right next to our house that is grassy that I play with my other dog in. There are a lot of different smells in this lot, I'm sure. It is on a corner, bordered by two streets. At times, there is quite a bit of traffic going by, as well as people walking down the street. My question is, is this too much stimulation for this puppy during the shutdown phase? How much time should we spend outside? We have to walk around for a pretty long time before he will go to the bathroom.

Hummmm been pondering this. I guess you are going to have to do the best you can do however you can! What I would do is try not to let anyone approach the dog, I saw his picture and he looks so sad and so skinny which will draw people in to want to pet him. Just nicely say
"no not yet" if they ask to pet him, dont spend alot of time talking to anyone about him, just be short and nice.
But we dont want anything to scare him .

So do what you can, bring him out on leash of course (which I am sure you are)

Excercise isnt a biggy right now as the dog is recovering, so just being out , walk in big circles to small circles, this can intice a stubborn pottyer to pee sometimes. Or just sit down and let him wander on his own.
We want to make this as less stressful as possible, and this could be why he isnt doing his buisness right away, alot going on around him.

Roxers
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Roxers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:41 am

Okay thanks! I think also his body is so used to being dehydrated that he is super-concentrating his urine and doesn't have to go as often. That's the only reason I can think of that the past couple of days he only urinated twice each day. Yesterday was actually better, I think it was three or four times actually. At least I don't have to worry about him peeing in the house! (so far) Now he spends most of the time outside trying to eat the leash and playing with it. If I don't bring a toy out with us, we can't really get anywhere.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:32 am

Roxers wrote:Okay thanks! I think also his body is so used to being dehydrated that he is super-concentrating his urine and doesn't have to go as often. That's the only reason I can think of that the past couple of days he only urinated twice each day. Yesterday was actually better, I think it was three or four times actually. At least I don't have to worry about him peeing in the house! (so far) Now he spends most of the time outside trying to eat the leash and playing with it. If I don't bring a toy out with us, we can't really get anywhere.

awwww poor guy! and thats a lab mix for ya..has to have a toy!! l o l !
It will take a while for his body to catch up for sure.

abnormalsanon
Super Bully

Postby abnormalsanon » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:25 pm

I'm bringing a new foster into our home tomorrow, and I have a few questions for you. Due to logistical issues and city living, we have a few problems with doing a full shutdown for our foster guy, Piggy. Can we:

-Let our pits (Keely and Bart) into the foster dog's room while he's crated during the shutdown period? This would be to prevent tantrums from Bart, who can't stand being left out of any room I'm in--especially when there's a new and interesting dog in it.

-Go for walks as exercise? We have a 15 x 20 foot paved "yard" and basically no fenced green space nearby. I wouldn't let people give him attention, and I wouldn't introduce him to other dogs. Nobody in our neighborhood wants to pet a pit bull anyway! lol

Thanks for any advice :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”