Help! My dog ate a cat

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Help! My dog ate a cat

Postby sahara311 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:42 pm

So a few months a go, my boyfriend urgently calls me to tell me our female was found in the backyard standing over a very recently dead cat, with scratches on her face. We assume that she killed it. It was our neighbors cat. He was upset, but understood about dogs vs. cats and all that.
She's never exhibited agression before, and we have 2 cats that she doesn't bother with.
Well, today we notice she has scratches again on her face. So, i fear the worse and take our male out in yard to see if there is indeed a dead cat out there. there was nothing.
But, my neighbor and his mother are out in their backyard and ask if i have seen their orange cat. I say no, because well, i hadn't......
Now i'm petrified i have a serial cat killer. Our yard is fenced in, 3 sides 6 foot stockade, and the side that butts up against that neighbor is chain link. We've been saving to fence in that side since the first incident.
I don't know what to do! She is a very very docile female, but seems to have a prey drive now!
And I'm terrified that they will find their cat all mangled and call the cops, news, etc, and we become yet another story in the news. My boyfriend is freaking out that animal control is gonna come out and take our dogs, lose our insurance (state farm) and then in turn lose our house.
Any advice out there? Can they take our dogs because an animal came into our yard? Can i break her of this habit!?!?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:45 pm

If you safely contain your dogs in your yard, and their roaming cats come in to your yard and end up dead... I don't know how this is your fault or how they can take your dogs.

I'd do a quick search on your local animal laws though, just so you're armed with info.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:49 pm

well i certainly wouldn't let her outside unsupervised. and i wouldn't leave her alone with your own cats, either.

as far as the legal issues, i imagine it depends on your area. here, because the dog was contained on her own property, she should be safe. it is the responsibility of the cat owner to keep the cats on his own property. but i wouldn't want to be pushing it.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:50 pm

A lot of dogs don't consider cats they live with prey... but I've heard quite a few stories of stranger cats or cats outside the house being chewed on.

rednoseErnie
Forum Junky

Postby rednoseErnie » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:57 pm

My dog has high prey drive, and has killed 2 cats. I take as many precautions as I can, such as never leaving him outdoors unattended, and when at my moms house, where cats occasionally walk through, checking the yard before he goes out. Other than that, though, I agree with Kadillak- if my dog is in my secure yard, and a cat comes in, the cat will be fast or dead. And if dead, I will be sad and pissed, but I think its the cat owners responsibility to ensure their animals doesn't roam.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:12 pm

I agree.. a roaming cat onto your property isnt your responsiblity to keep it safe. Why you dont want to hurt it on purpose , which would be thought of as animal cruelity ...but if it hops into a fence where a dog lives, ...well.. letting a cat roam outside is in my opinion asking for trouble. It could get hit by a car (is it the cars fault?) or get infected /killed/hurt by another cat outside (is it the other cats fault?) or meet an untimely death with a dog in its own yard (same.. is it the dogs fault)

Why I know you are worried about how your dog will look, and I would work on prey drive and try to find a good out for the drive (tug -springpoles) . But even my dogs that have lived with loose ferrets, many cats, and even an unrealsable opossum that roamed the house at will they never hurt anything..but outside in the yard? All bets are off.

Is this the same neighbor that might now of lost two cats to your dog?
ahhh..hellooo earth to neighbor.... :frown:

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:37 pm

yes, sadly same neighbor...and I feel terrible about it. :crybaby:
I ve been trying to find some literature about dog statutes in florida, and can only conclude that she can't be classified as a "dangerous dog" since it was on our property. If anyone knows where i can look up some better info on laws and ordinances, please feel free to post it^^

But then again, as yet, the cat is still missing. It may turn up just fine, but I'm doubtful.

mommy2kane
Addicted to PBF

Postby mommy2kane » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:11 pm

I've always heard that you aren't responsible/at fault if your dog is in his yard and a cat comes in. But, I'm not sure how the law varies from state to state. Sorry I'm not much help!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:12 pm

in some states if a dog kills a DOMESTIC animal it can be declared dangerous.. and some states rules are if a dog is declared dangerous its immediate euthansia...

if you find a cat on your property go bury it far away in the woods...

MuttsMom
Matured Bully

Postby MuttsMom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:31 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:A lot of dogs don't consider cats they live with prey... but I've heard quite a few stories of stranger cats or cats outside the house being chewed on.

This is Muttley. We have a lot of cats and he curls up on the sofa to sleep with them, loves on them, etc. But, if he sees a stray cat in our yard before I do, it is dead unless it beats him to the fence :frown:

I also believe it is the cat owner's responsibility to keep their cat at home, or at least on their own property. I don't see how it could be held against you/your dog if the cat came onto your property.

I don't have any advice to break her from this... I'm sure it could be done with lots of work and patience on your part. You could also only take her out on leash, or at least check your yard for cats first and then stay out the entire time the dog is outside. Of course, from experience I know my dog is way faster than me and it only takes a couple seconds for him to kill a cat. Even the time I was RIGHT THERE with him... there was nothing I could do to stop him. (Yes our yard is fenced so we go out with no leashes, of course if he'd had on his leash I could have prevented him from going after the cat in the first place.)

Good luck

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm

my partner and I joke about our dogs knowing the difference between outside squirrels and inside squirrels. Inside they are family members..outside they are fair game. I would feel horrible if they killed someones cat but my dogs are no more at fault than if it WERE a squirrel or a possum or a rat in my yard.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:57 pm

I did a search of your cities municipal code. Here is a list of anything under animal. I'm not going to read through them all, but when you have time you can read through them.

http://www.municode.com/Resources/gatew ... 3714&sid=9

It is my opinion that cats should not be left to roam outside. My cats are indoor only. It seems like after the first one was killed your neighbor should have been smart enough to leave their cats inside! Outdoor cats run a risk of being killed or attacked by dogs or other animals, hit by cars, greater risk of disease, etc. I'm assuming they know that.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:14 am

She's never exhibited agression before, and we have 2 cats that she doesn't bother with

But those are your cats and you have probably rules such as "the cat is not food", inside your house.My pit bulls live with a cat, who can roam with them (one at a time).
But there is no doubt that a running random cat in my yard is going to get killed.
We had a white male cat ending up in our yard,at midnight one day, and I did not know he was up on the brick wall.I opened the door and let one female out to potty, before bed time.I guess she has spotted the cat immediately and my other female picked up on her body language and nearly knocked me off my feet to storm out the door.Both of them were on the cat and I thought they were going to kill him.I grabbed the one who was not holding and threw her inside, otherwise if she had also gotten a hold of the cat they would have shredded him in pieces.Then I went back to the other, who had the cat in her mouth and somewhat I was able to make her release.The cat was taken in my house, checked for wounds , he was cleaned up and disinfected and he survived no problem.
But if I was not fast enough he would have died.He was running and the dog did what dogs do.

Cheshirekatt
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Cheshirekatt » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:18 am

violet wrote:my partner and I joke about our dogs knowing the difference between outside squirrels and inside squirrels. Inside they are family members..outside they are fair game. I would feel horrible if they killed someones cat but my dogs are no more at fault than if it WERE a squirrel or a possum or a rat in my yard.

And don't forget about the flying squirrels (birds).

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:59 am

And don't forget about the flying squirrels (birds).

No kidding.It will be Jack's day when it can get a hold of a crow.

Return to “Training and Behavior”