Preparing for new baby

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
lisa&tylor
Adolescent Bully

Preparing for new baby

Postby lisa&tylor » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:56 pm

We are expecting a baby (our first) in July, and are working now to prepare our 2 dogs for the change. We've done some research, already use NILIF (okay, more like most things in life aren't free lol ) and making sure their exercise needs are being met. They are already pretty well behaved, but are not used to children (we just don't know many!). We are exposing them to the CD of baby noises, which they have no problem with (they reacted initially for about 15 seconds, then just ignored the noise after that). We are also trying to expose them to smells, and will do more once we collect more baby gear.

Just wondering if others have suggestions, experience as to what works well?

One of our dogs is pushy and dominant with other animals, but not at all dominant with adults. She can be territorial with her toys (with her dog friends).

Any ideas would be great!

SouthTexasPit
Newborn Bully

Postby SouthTexasPit » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:09 pm

Funny you posted this I just went through this with my two dogs and 2 mth old baby girl. I would have done it sooner but Peyton was born premature. Anyways I just had my girlfriend hold her in the chair like normal and let the dogs in like normal(as if nothing has changed). And just like you had mentioned when they heard her make a noise they ran over to her smelled around, and was real curious then just walked away.

And from then on when we let them inside the house weather Peyton is being held or in her little bouncer they just come up to her almost saying hi as they do everyone else then go about there business. We always keep a close eye just to make sure they dont want to play lol.

From that I would just say to act like nothing has changed. Introduce them in a real calm environment and I think everything should go well. hope this helped a little

Tattooz
Matured Bully

Postby Tattooz » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:55 pm

As a father of three little girls.....
When my girls were all born I came home from the hospital with "Fresh" baby blankets <----ones the baby had been wrapped in after birth.
And gave them to the dogs to smell and roll on....<-- man it was funny watching them.... Then when the little peanut gets home, just as stated above, like nothings changed let them explore the child sounds and smells.
My old boy Amadeus he took his new job VERY serious..... I would find him checking all the rooms... at lights out he would sniff the air in the kids rooms, almost like he was checking them in. Then in the night, my wife would wake me up saying I hear something in the hall, I would go out and see him walk from room to room checking on them......
Man I miss that dog...!

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 pm

i would find something to hold like you would a baby and have the dogs there to interact , start to teach gentle and such . also work with them on human hands near food,bones and toys if they arent already condtioned for it.

i dont let my kids bother the dogs while they eat or chew on bones, but if they were ever to put thier hand in the bowl or on the bone there wouldnt be an issue, in fact alot of times mine will lay right next to them while they play with the toys sometimes.

also i stopped allowing the dogs on the couch , heres why alot of times i would lay the baby down next to me while watching TV folding laundry etc , and some dogs arent real graceful and i was worried that unintentionaly the dog might just get on the couch and not think about the baby beingup there and then the baby gets hurt .

i would socialize them if you havent already around small kids

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:48 pm

first off, congratulations! we're expecting our first at the end of march.

we've tried to include river in as much baby related preparation as possible. we let her sniff and investigate everything, so she gets use to having it around. she "helps" us put together baby gear (there's a thread in the gallery where she "helped" with the crib), she "helps" when i'm going through the baby's clothes and supplies and organizing her room. i leave those baby shows on tv on for her, so she gets use to the sounds of a newborn. we also have a newborn sized baby doll that we've started carrying around, so she gets use to seeing us with a "baby" in our arms. we'll put it in the car seat and carry that, i'll carry it in my sling. we'll put it in the swing, so she gets use to seeing it in use and in motion. i'll sit on the floor and act like i'm changing it's diaper. i'll lay it on a blanket on the floor. river has learned that if there is a blanket on the floor, she is not allowed on it. i do everything i can think of i would do with a real baby, to help river get use to seeing it happen. and one thing we taught river when she was just a pup, and i'm very greatful for now, is she is NOT allowed on the furniture without permission!

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:50 pm

oh, yea, and once the baby is born, david will bring home blankets and such that smell like baby so river can get use to that, too.

lisa&tylor
Adolescent Bully

Postby lisa&tylor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks everybody. All great ideas. The only issue I have is that I don't really know too many people with small children/babies, and those I do might not be too gung ho about volunteering their kids, but we'll try!

The other thing is we might plan a home birth, so we have to decide whether the dogs should be around for that or away from the house? I read that when the baby comes home the dogs should enter the house after the baby (ie not be in the house when the baby first enters), which tells them it is the baby's house first (ie. the baby is higher up in the "pack"). Anyone else heard this? I think it might have come from the dog whisperer...

I agree about being calm and acting like it is no big deal. Anxiety will make the dogs nervous about the baby, which is a recipe for problems.

Thanks for the advice! :))

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:31 pm

The emotional and physical "trauma" of an at home birth MAY not be good idea for your dog to be around, but depending on the dog, it may actually be a good thing for her to see what's going on. She might get a better connection of events that way.

But, if your just gonna lock her out of the room, all she will do is hear and sense your pain and emotion, and this may be bad, as she may then connect those feelings with the new baby--which she may do even if she is allowed to witness.

I would play it safe and remove her from the home during the "main event".

dragynflye
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby dragynflye » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:41 am

yea, i'd be afraid to have the dogs get in the way at an important moment if i was planning a home birth. or, ya know, try to be a little too involved... but if they are kenneled or locked in another room or something, i'd worry that the noise/smells/activity would scare/traumatize them. i think, better safe than sorry.... if you decide to have a home birth (yay for you, btw), i would arrange a safe, out of the house, place for them to go once you are in labor.

lisa&tylor
Adolescent Bully

Postby lisa&tylor » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:21 pm

I totally agree with you both about the home birth potentially being scary or unpleasant for the dogs. If we go that route, they'll likely go to a friend's for a day or two. Probably easier not to have to worry about them during labor and delivery too! lol

kristakmj
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby kristakmj » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:33 pm

your dog might smell the blood on you and the baby and eat you both ???? roflmao

sorry i couldnt pass it up, i could just see some people have that mentality

i would think the dog being out of the house is the best choice as well

kcalbat
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby kcalbat » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:19 pm

All good advice! I need help too! I have to introduce FOUR dogs to a new baby...ugh.

Ironically, I have a feeling the Pits will take to the baby without a care in the world, but my Maltese is probably going to throw a fit!

Genesis~N~Petey
Super Bully

Postby Genesis~N~Petey » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:20 pm

Me too, I have to intro five dogs to the new baby. Again I think the pits will be fine the chihuahua and weiner dog not so much.

I'm also trying to include them on everything "baby" that I do. They helped me put the stroller together today:)

Return to “Training and Behavior”