Help with Scared Dog

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Great pic!

Give her a day or two to emotionally digest her ventures.....Seems like all is going well,,,that is FABULOUS!!! Give her some time....Your doing great.

FG167
Adolescent Bully

Postby FG167 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm

suzi wrote:Great pic!

Give her a day or two to emotionally digest her ventures.....Seems like all is going well,,,that is FABULOUS!!! Give her some time....Your doing great.

Thanks for the support - there are some days where I get so frustrated and I feel like we're not going anywhere....

Yeah, yesterday she wasn't very responsive at all and kept acting all weird but today she is back to where she was before - coming to the front of her kennel and following me around. I'm still keeping it shut because I want her to want to come out, probably tomorrow. :)

FG167
Adolescent Bully

Postby FG167 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:37 pm

So I couldn't find my other thread...and there wasn't much to it so I'm going back to this one (sorry mods for creating two).

Anyway, I started some basic obedience training with Kya today. This was a big step since she used to not take food from my hand, and then she would only take it from the flat of my hand. Today, she has progressed to taking it straight from my fingers, no waiting :)

So, just the two of us, in the backyard where she's used to being very comfortable and we worked solely on heeling and sitting - she did wonderfully!! I clicker train and at first her ears would pin back every time I clicked, but she is to the point where she trusts me enough not to bolt (most of the time). She definitely has the hang of the sit. It's weird though, about 50/50 she will plop down right away and the other half she will slooooowwwllly lower. But, as long as she sits we can work on the rest later. I did notice that the more energetic my walk the more up-beat her step became. Towards the end her tail and ears were up, even during the sit - so we ended on a happy note :))

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:49 pm

whoo hooo ! That is great!!!!! :0 ) :thumbsup:

Animated and happy that is excatly what we want to see when we start training! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good job !

Can I ask, why the clicker? did you train your other dogs with one?

FG167
Adolescent Bully

Postby FG167 » Thu May 01, 2008 12:35 pm

luvnstuff wrote:whoo hooo ! That is great!!!!! :0 ) :thumbsup:

Animated and happy that is excatly what we want to see when we start training! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good job !

Well, yes and no. I actually trained Midas without and then when we started classes we were encouraged to use one. One trainer also suggested marking behavior with "Yes" but with Kya I thought the noise would be easier for her as she seems to be a little overwhelmed with all of the words she is to know. She's got her name, come and sit down pat. She is still a little iffy on good girl and bad dog. Is pretty good with no but I think that's got more to do with the tone and what she's doing at the time.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu May 01, 2008 1:09 pm

FG167 wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:whoo hooo ! That is great!!!!! :0 ) :thumbsup:

Good job !

Well, yes and no. I actually trained Midas without and then when we started classes we were encouraged to use one. One trainer also suggested marking behavior with "Yes" but with Kya I thought the noise would be easier for her as she seems to be a little overwhelmed with all of the words she is to know. She's got her name, come and sit down pat. She is still a little iffy on good girl and bad dog. Is pretty good with no but I think that's got more to do with the tone and what she's doing at the time.

ah.. I was just wondering.

My friend/trainer sat in a class once with us, clicking one of those things for ever(!), finally we asked what was the deal?
He said "why how do you feel"
"annoyed" - we all chirped
" well how do you think your dog feels?"
roflmao

just made me think of that story.

I really have no real opinion of the clicker..other than I personally do find them a bit , well, annoying! LOL

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Thu May 01, 2008 1:27 pm

luvnstuff wrote:" well how do you think your dog feels?"
roflmao

haha, how is Sam doing anyway?

FG167, your dogs are beautiful :)

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu May 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Salival wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:" well how do you think your dog feels?"
roflmao

haha, how is Sam doing anyway?

usual.. overworked.. too many dogs.. life drama ...the usual.
He his doing a camp in Indy and Louisville , you should give him a ring if you arent working on a Friday or Sunday (when he is driving) he would love to hear from you..just gossip away.. he loves it.. LOL
We never talk dogs.. guess my drama must entertain him.. hahaha.

FG167
Adolescent Bully

Postby FG167 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:31 am

luvnstuff wrote:ah.. I was just wondering.

My friend/trainer sat in a class once with us, clicking one of those things for ever(!), finally we asked what was the deal?
He said "why how do you feel"
"annoyed" - we all chirped
" well how do you think your dog feels?"
roflmao

just made me think of that story.

I really have no real opinion of the clicker..other than I personally do find them a bit , well, annoying! LOL

LOL well I figure with that reasoning, they should dislike the sound their Cuz makes as much as I do!!! roflmao

Salival wrote:

Thank you!!!! :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”