What to do after a tussle?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
steptide
Matured Bully

Postby steptide » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 am

if you see my post here in trainng/behaviour called "long rant , need advice" youll know if been involved with a scuffle very recently. not so much with my female , but when my male gets in a fight , once i break it up , he cowers around. he'll come sit in front of me with his ears down almost like "im sorry , i know that was wrong , im really really sorry". i dunno , its kinda strange cuz i dont give them any physical corrections or anything like that after they fight . i mainly , seperate them and do what one poster said , which was they dont get treats , food or attention

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Woo Hoo for stopping the alpha role!
I do my best to avoid scuffles like feeding seperate, monitoring treat time and making sure they get plenty of exercise. I keep them seperate while I am away but they can still see eachother through a baby gate.
I'm lucky that Primo is a push-over when it comes to Rory, he can take whatever she dishes out, she can be awfully mean to him too.
Thankfully they havnt had any full blown fights but when they get into a small scuffle they immedialty are put into time-outs on there beds at opposite sides of the room. I don't lock them up, I preffer to know they will stay becasue I said so. If either attempts to get up I dont yell, they get one chance to lay back down before I get my butt off the couch and adjust them.

lovebeingme
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lovebeingme » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:12 pm

luvnstuff wrote:I think I put them away for dog skuffles freak me out. I am always fine during, just afterward.. but once things settle down I start to shake, and I dont want my dogs to see that. :oops:
Must stay "on top" and not look weak.. l o l.
I had an experience with a dog fight a few years back, (non pit but it was horrid) and since then I kind of loose it.

Later I will get both of them out together, (again no favorites) and everyone is happy go lucky.

I also have to add, that if they are usually arguing over something (toy or whatever) I take it right away and let them know its MINE.
:0 )

I need to put dogs away after a scuffle as well, to regain my composure. One real, long, bad dog fight changed everything, I hold my ground now, and do what needs to be done, but really lose it for a few after it's over. Kinda like a release. :oops:

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:17 pm

I just have to tell this story about one day when my mom was watching my dogs......Rory growled at Primo to get off the couch and my mom freaked, put them in seperate rooms so "they could think about what they had done" LOL......she's never owned a dog obvously, LOL. When her and pop were together she had nothing to do with his dogs. I thought it was cute

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:33 pm

I've never had any fights in my pack...but when I can see they're getting a little too worked up with their wrestling matches, I tell them to stop, and have them lay down on opposite sides of the room.

HappyChick
Newborn Bully

Postby HappyChick » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:18 pm

I must be truly blessed or really lucky!!! My boys have established everyone's role with little interference from me. They know I am the boss, Kaiser is second in command (not by size but definately by attitude). Guido is easy going (but don't think he's a sap) cause he is DA for strange dogs, and Vinny is the sweety, sweety who will will tear your chocolate up if you threaten his den! I have the most wonderful Familia! It's really common sense combined with serious knowledge about how dogs THINK. Even though it all works for us, I'm here to tweak things and learn more......

SiamPitBull
Newborn Bully

Postby SiamPitBull » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:12 am

I've had success with my APBT, but have real problems with my other two.

One is a 10 month old pup (mutt), food aggressive and dominant. The other is a gentle 7 yr old (also mutt). She's much bigger than the pup, but the pup realized she could dominate and started to over the past week or so.

Two days ago they started fighting and it was very difficult to get them apart. Since then they cannot tolerate each other. If our smaller dog sees the older one she growls and goes mad.

Last my wife and I each had one of the dogs on a leash, walking them around the yard, hoping they would start getting used to each others presence. We didn't have much success, the little one still growls, the other is fine.

I'm thinking of starting on neutral ground, walking them separately outside our property. Seeing if they can get used to being close to each other.

The worst part is they used to get along so well. The smaller dog has had a lot of scuffles with our APBT and all it needed was a few mins of separation and they'd be fine.

HappyChick
Newborn Bully

Postby HappyChick » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:41 am

HappyChick wrote:It's really common sense combined with serious knowledge about how dogs THINK. Even though it all works for us, I'm here to tweak things and learn more......

I hope I didn't seem conceited with that statement. I don't mean I have serious knowledge, but I do mean I think that is the key. I hope the advice you got here helps with the scuffle situation. I'll be quiet now........

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:52 am

SiamPitBull, three dogs create a whole new world when it comes to dogs,
and at the age of your 10 month old, he is going to try to push everyone to see if he can rise to the top or where he belongs.

What happens with three dogs is one is the "top dog" one is the servant.. the third tussles with the lower dog to try to gain success to either prove himself to the top or take over the top as he matures. Older dogs are seen as a target if they are the "Top" dog (the most calm is ususally the top dog), as a young buck will try to gain enough confidence (picking on the weaker) to do a throw over.
You , in other words have your hands full.

I would start a new thread so others see your question and maybe get everyone on a good re start in your home .

Look up MIND GAMES- in the training thread..it was just bumped the other day, read (Really read) that,

Then start that new thread with more info of ages/speutered or non speutered/ and more info about your dogs and home .

:thumbsup:

SiamPitBull
Newborn Bully

Postby SiamPitBull » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:57 am

luvnstuff wrote:SiamPitBull, three dogs create a whole new world when it comes to dogs,
and at the age of your 10 month old, he is going to try to push everyone to see if he can rise to the top or where he belongs.

What happens with three dogs is one is the "top dog" one is the servant.. the third tussles with the lower dog to try to gain success to either prove himself to the top or take over the top as he matures. Older dogs are seen as a target if they are the "Top" dog (the most calm is ususally the top dog), as a young buck will try to gain enough confidence (picking on the weaker) to do a throw over.

I would start a new thread so others see your question and maybe get everyone on a good re start in your home .

Look up MIND GAMES- in the training thread..it was just bumped the other day, read (Really read) that,

Then start that new thread with more info of ages/speutered or non speutered/ and more info about your dogs and home .

Great advice, I've read Mind Games, NILF and just about every other thread I thought would help. I've started several of my own, starting a single thread to explain the whole situation is a great idea, but I could just about write a book with all the dramas I'm experiencing!

I've got the next week of work, I think I'll turn my house into some kind of doggie boot camp. Lots of exercise, strict discipline, several daily training session and the rest of they day they will all stay in their own separate corner of the living room.

Do you think things will improve as the dogs get older or should I just resign myself to a lifetime of hell?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:46 am

SiamPitBull wrote:[Do you think things will improve as the dogs get older or should I just resign myself to a lifetime of hell?

Without knowing and seeing you and the dogs in person , its really hard to say.
Right now I would say its 50/50.
There are so many variables human and dog wise.
But one can only educate themselves and give it a whirl.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:52 am

SiamPitBull wrote:
luvnstuff wrote:SiamPitBull, three dogs create a whole new world when it comes to dogs,

Great advice, I've read Mind Games, NILF and just about every other thread I thought would help. I've started several of my own, starting a single thread to explain the whole situation is a great idea, but I could just about write a book with all the dramas I'm experiencing!

I've got the next week of work, I think I'll turn my house into some kind of doggie boot camp. Lots of exercise, strict discipline, several daily training session and the rest of they day they will all stay in their own separate corner of the living room.

Do you think things will improve as the dogs get older or should I just resign myself to a lifetime of hell?

Sounds a lot like my house. Riley came into the house as the youngest, and as soon as she got comfortable she started resource guarding and challenging my older dogs, especially when they became infirm and weak. The only thing that works for us is keeping her entirely separated (with baby gates, a life saver for us) from the oldest dogs when she starts to pick on them. Our pack dynamics are constantly changing as the girls age, and we have to respond accordingly, so be prepared for that yourself.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

I occasionally have scuffles here between Luce and Mushroom. Hollering at them breaks it up, and they tend to crate themselves because clearly if they don't run to their safe spots, I'm going to eat them alive lol

OrsonDogge
Newborn Bully

Postby OrsonDogge » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:49 pm

wow, i just had a "red zone" scuffle (fight) between my two.
they were just playing and then BAM, a fight. Words couldnt seperate them, i had to grab the littlest one by the back legs and fling her onto the bed.
Its such a scary sight, i know they could kill each other if they wanted, but no blood this time. Luckily!

like Luvnstuff said, i get really freaked out and shakey after and have to take a while to calm down.

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Ugh... we had a "red zone" fight today... They are so far and few between, and magically happen when I am not at home. 8l
Get a call from my bf around 9:30 am at work. Apparently the two males we have went after each other. One had the other by the neck, and the other by the ear.
Needless to say, when I got home I had quite a bit of patching up to do . :po: It's gonna be a fun Vet trip in the morning, one's gonna need stitches.
I swear my bf has no idea about our dogs. Firstly, he let them interact when he was outside with food bowls out. Secondly, when the fight happened, he threw his hands into the scuffle and..... got bit. :sad: Only 2 small punctures, but still. Honestly thought he woulda learned the first time this happened.
Had I been home, it never would have happened, and if it did, they would have separated without too much effort.
Now he is determined to take one to the shelter tomorrow (not going to happen on my watch, the man goes before the dogs do) He can't comprehend that he is the problem and he caused the situation.
I would really like to find a dog behaviorist in my area to come help with our situation. To calm his anxiety and what not.
If anyone knows any Good Behaviourists/Trainers in the Central Florida Area, please PM me.

Return to “Training and Behavior”