I'm weak! I put her on drugs!

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
BullyBud
Bully Ambassador

Postby BullyBud » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:15 pm

How do I talk about SA without scaring them off!

Well, if I were screening potential adopters for this dog I would try to scare them as much as possible!!!! These SA dogs are the type that so often get passed around because people with good intentions dont know the work involved.

So I say scare them to death and if they still think they are capable of handling her then you know you are good to go! lol

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:04 am

I tried. I really tried. But they still like her.

I went over anxiety in general, separation anxiety, owning a pit bull mix. That it has taken Desi 2+ years to be the somewhat well-adjusted dog she is today. That Lola has to have consistency and patience. That if the other housemates can't follow her training program, they should not interact with her unsupervised. That there are no guarantees how/when her anxiety will manifest after moving to a new household. The joys of being jumped on by a sopping wet drooly dog. Taking only baby steps and that progress is not measured day to day but week to week (if that quickly).

The final decision belongs to the adoption committee. The applicants are going on vacation at the end of May, so even if they are approved, I have Lola for another 5 weeks. Time to buckle down on training!

I realized today how emotionally charged picking up leashes is, so I am going to practice picking up leashes randomly. Also need to tackle her stress at riding in the truck.

However, when I got home last night, her crate was bone dry!!!! :cheerleader: I don't know if it was because I accidentally left the light on in my room or because I took a shower earlier than usual and the process of getting ready for work was done slowly over a couple of hours. I'm crossing my fingers for another dry crate tonight!

monkeycrane
Newborn Bully

just wondering

Postby monkeycrane » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:52 pm

was she medicated on Sunday? I don't think it's a bad thing if it's necessary, my concern is a false security. the adopters not realizing how it works and the highs and lows of it. and just because today is a good day that doesn't mean tomorrow will be. she sounds like the dog that would benefit the most from a stay at home mom adopter or a couple that works alt schedules. do you have the option to say you don't think she's ready for a change now that you've just start with the medication and working with the SA ... however good luck with everything :)

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Mon May 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Well, this is the start of Lola's 3rd week on Prozac, so it should just about be kicking in, but I can't see any difference. She doesn't have any real problems when I leave for/return from work because then EVERYONE gets left behind. It's when she has to stay behind while I take another dog out that she gets really worked up and I come back to a sopping wet dog. She's also been working on her anxiety about riding in the truck, and now she will leap into the back to eat her dinner! This week I'm practicing with the engine running, and we may get up to having her eat in a crate in the back next week, depending on how she reacts to the engine running.

The potential adopters were approved, and were given multiple lectures by 3-4 people now. Now it's up to the landlord, who has now decided he wants a letter of reference. :huh?:

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Mon May 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Do the potential adopters have another dog? If not, she might not have this type of SA with them (not to say, she might not have SA). It seems the SA is more stemmed from another dog having all the attention she feels she should have.

Also - if they are the go-everywhere, go-anywhere type of people, maybe that would be good for her also. Does that mean, she'll be with them always? What does a schedule look like within their household? I would ask for a very specific schedule to see when and for how long she would be crated and alone.

And in your house, would it work for her to be crated in a separate room than the Desi? Maybe then if she doesn't see an empty crate it wouldn't be as bad for her. We crate all of our dogs in separate bedrooms for this reason.

Keep in mind, just because they are first time dog owners - doesn't mean they might not do a good job. They might be so nervous to screw up that they'll do an over the top great job with her. Make sure they don't baby her though, or it could take her backwards.

redsand
Matured Bully

Re: I'm weak! I put her on drugs!

Postby redsand » Mon May 12, 2008 11:32 pm

adoptanapbt wrote:Lola only has mild separation anxiety, and she's driving me up the wall, so my deepest sympathies to those of you who have dogs with full blown separation anxiety!

I have that problem too and it really is driving me nuts! :crybaby:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 am

You mentioned that your crating while you go out and ride your bike doing your exercise routing.. there are attachments you can get that will allow you to hook your dog to your bike and they will not get caught up in the bike.. but a pit can pull hard and pull you down if they are not leash trained.. Also I take my dogs out to the desert to run them nightly for a couple of hours.. I get to do a hard walk and they get to run and molest desert creatures.. its a win win ... roflmao

We allow our dogs to run loose in the desert..they are very well controlled under voice commands but they wear shock collars too just in case because there are coyotes that would love to eat a cute little pit bull...

We also have quads and I can't remember who it was (Red maybe) posted a picture how they rigged their quad up so they can run their dogs while they ride.. I showed it to my husband and he did the same thing for Jazmine..

Ok I have babbled on long enough.. Good luck..

Debby

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Tue May 13, 2008 4:44 pm

Desi & Lola get biked first thing so they're tired when I go for my bike ride. I go 15-20mi a day, and the farthest I've taken the girls is about 2 miles at a stretch. roflmao

Maverick
Matured Bully

Postby Maverick » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Sorry for resurrecting - how is your dog doing now that some time has passed?
Nick

BlueLemonade
Adolescent Bully

Postby BlueLemonade » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:52 am

I am dealing with a dog that has serious separation anxiety issues as well-she hurts herself in her kennel and destroys my house-had shredded an entire couch...i wish you the best because its tearing me up trying to deal with this-keep us posted as any help to future people is a big help. PM me if you get something that helps!

Return to “Training and Behavior”