When did your dog's Dog Aggression appear?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.

When did DA first appear?

My dog is a full grown adult (above the age of 3) and loves all dogs, without exception
15%
Before s/he was 18 months old (1.5 years)
57%
Between 18 and 30 months (1.5 - 2.5 years)
13%
Above the age of 30 months (2.5 years)
15%

Total votes: 53

luvmypitties
Super Bully

Postby luvmypitties » Thu May 01, 2008 11:29 pm

Ellie had just turned a year old and we went to Petsmart to get her a toy. We introduced all the dog to this English bulldog and then it was Ellie's turn and she latched on. It was her first time ever doing soemthing like this. She normally loved dogs as she grew up in a kennel (she had free roam) and was always around other dogs. Since that incident it has gotten worse, it was any dog who acted crazy around her, then it was big dark colored dogs and now it is anything that moves!

I blame her breeding as she was confiscated from owners who were raising her to fight... and came from known fighting line around here. (The guys kennel has been busted a few times, we finally got him for actually fighting the dogs all were taken from him.)

picara
Bully Ambassador

Postby picara » Fri May 02, 2008 6:12 am

Horace used to be agg when he was a tot; that's why he got thrown out of puppy playschool, but now he's soft with others but plays HARD.

Hazel's been a snarly beeotch from the get-go, she's still under a year. I let her meet dogs for practice, but it always ends up with her going all growly and snarly. It's truly the sound for the awakened demon in a horror movie soundtrack. I haven't had any biting issues with her, though.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri May 02, 2008 8:59 am

rufus started at 9 months old after he got into a fight w/ my trainers female border collie over a toy. he is selective DA as some dogs he is fine with and some he isnt. every dog he meets he immediately takes a dominant stance, and tries to dominate from the start depending on the dog. with puppies he is awesome, and very good with them. he will however behave in public if he sees a strange dog.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 am

dam edit button.

he is now 5 1/2 years old and the older he got the more intolerant of strange dogs he got. any dog he knows since puppyhood he is fine with though

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Okay...I'm going to be difficult; I'm still not voting...I'm still confused. :))

Today we went to PetsMart; it was wall to wall dogs. Veronica did great. She met a little pit puppy, who jumped on her head and smacked her in the face. I think she was a little intimidated as she actually walked away. She said appropriate "hello's" to 2 adult pits, (laying down, crawling over), 1 pit/lab cross, a rotti, a weinmaraner (too lazy to look up spelling) boy who jumped on her head and barked in her face (play bark, not snitty bark), 2 labby looking dogs & a sherpherd. At one point a lab puppy knocked her over & the weinmaraner stepped over her and she just lay there wagging her tail.

Then we went for a walk. Out of nowhere comes an unleashed sherpherdy/rotti looking dog running up to Veronica. My husband was there so I wasn't totally panicked. The dog got up to us, they did the sniff & greet. Not sure who barked first, but I'm pretty sure the other dog postured & maybe growled and Veronica did her growly/snarly act. DH shooed the dog off, I picked up Veronica and then we were on our way.

So do I say she is "dog selective"...and if so, how is this different from just about any other dog under the sun?

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Sativa's dog aggression started showing around 11 months. She was fine with puppies until she was about 2 years old and by 3, she couldn't even stand the sight of another dog.... she did sucessfully live with Treyce for 2 years though and he was introduced to her when she was around a year old and he was 10 weeks old.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 03, 2008 5:30 pm

Jazzy wrote:Okay...I'm going to be difficult; I'm still not voting...I'm still confused. :))
{snip}
So do I say she is "dog selective"...and if so, how is this different from just about any other dog under the sun?

Well, JEEZ.
8)

I would say yes, what you described is "dog selective" and how it's different is that you've got a pit bull whose instincts when involved in a scuffle are very different from the average mutt you'd run into in Petsmart. You've got a pit bull - a dog that is bred to back up her aggressive tendencies, to the point of death. So if there's a chance she could have been involved in a full-on fight if you hadn't stopped things (when most likely most dogs would have a quick nippy scuffle and be done with it) I think that's the difference between the divine Miss V and another dog. :thumbsup:

I asked the question because I think we see so many new-comers to the breed who say "but this twelve week old pup loves the neighbors dog" and don't realize that it's not a from-birth thing, and it's not even a "full-size" thing - a lot of our dogs developed this personality change after they were physically developed, or after we'd established training or other groundwork.

We all read over and over Never Trust Your Pit Bull Not To Fight and yet for some reason people think "oh, but that doesn't apply to me, my puppy's not dog aggressive."

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Sat May 03, 2008 5:47 pm

Amie wrote: how it's different is that you've got a pit bull whose instincts when involved in a scuffle are very different from the average mutt you'd run into in Petsmart. You've got a pit bull - a dog that is bred to back up her aggressive tendencies, to the point of death. So if there's a chance she could have been involved in a full-on fight if you hadn't stopped things (when most likely most dogs would have a quick nippy scuffle and be done with it) I think that's the difference between the divine Miss V and another dog. :thumbsup:

OK, I'll buy that. (look at me being all agreeable lol ).

So it is less the reaction (which is common to alot of breeds) and more the proclivity and ability to back it up if push came to shove. That I accept; and I would never ever take a chance. I am actually very mindful and cognizant in all instances when V. does have canine contact. I guess it just sort of irks me to have the breed as a whole singled out as being DA; when I see so many DA dogs of other breeds. But for the new comers and the less paranoid (I consider myself a new comer, but what I lack in experience I make up for with a cautiousness bordering on paranoia :)) ); it is good to stress the importance of not taking chances and looking forwards towards potential outcomes.

But I think I waited too long to vote :twisted: . Can you put me down for puberty? V. was at least 8 or 9 months before we heard the "demonic snarl of death".

Amie

Postby Amie » Sat May 03, 2008 6:33 pm

I think for many dogs, fighting is a dominance thing - there's a scuffle, the winner is named, and things carry on with the dogs knowing their place in the little mini-pack they've formed. For pits, fighting is instinct.

No, not all pits are, and the poll shows that too - it's been teetering around 15% showing no signs of DA at all. When describing the APBT temperament to "outsiders" I always say they tend towards DA, but mine is not. I would (and have) let him off leash with other dogs (if I trusted their owners) and not had a problem.

But I know that were it to come to a fight, it would not end with Oscar being named King of the Mountain, it would end with vet visits. A lot of new owners don't get that (I didn't get it myself for sometime, and I count myself incredibly lucky that I didn't get into serious trouble with my well-meaning ignorance).

snoopsnoop
Forum Junky

Postby snoopsnoop » Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm

Snoopy turned on around a 9mo-12 mo. He was a real firecracker. Couldn't be within 50 feet of another dog and was throwing a fit. Oddly enough, even while he was being a jackass to other dogs his bestest friend in the world is an intact boy dog. Snoopy has a real dislike for rude dogs and dogs that challenge him. He likes to pretend he is dominant but in reality he's insecure. He gets along fabulous with Dawn, but Dawn is true dominant dog and doesn't pick fights with him.

I have not seen Dawn in action but from my understanding she super dislikes other bitches but typically will not seek out a fight but certainly will finish one if provoked. I am not sure when she turned on. She just turned 6 and has only been with me for a short period of time.

someday
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby someday » Tue May 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Annie turned on about 9-10 months. With a lot of work she's able to be introduced carefully to select dogs and be ok with them. She will thrown dow nat the drop of a hat though.

I didn't vote for Bear, as I got him as a 5 year old. They said he was fine with dogs, but i've found he will happily eat small dogs, but is fine with medium to large dogs and is very appropriate with them.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Tue May 06, 2008 2:37 pm

Sadie started aroun 9mnths of age being dog selective.

She would love to eat small dogs. She would love to chew on medium sized dogs. And she loves to try and bully dogs that are 3xs her size. lol. She's a firecracker, I never know what to expect.

However, I think Sadie is more misunderstood than anything because she is a SCREAMER! So, its hard to get her to meet other dogs because the other owners are normally terrified because she's screaming. We're workign on not being as vocal with other dogs and seeing if that helps create a happier calmer Sadie, only time will tell.

Since she got closer to 2 years of age though, she has gotten better around other dogs. We've been rushed by off leash dogs with no scuffle, we've gone swimming where she got past me and rushed an on leash dog with no scuffle, btu if she's on a leash and sees another leashed dog she's a screamer and a nutcase.

*leenie*
Addicted to PBF

Postby *leenie* » Tue May 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Ginger is almost 6 and LOVES every dog she sees.
Emma is almost 3 and she turned DA when she was around 1, but now she is doing a great job at keeping her cool

Zagari
Addicted to PBF

Postby Zagari » Wed May 07, 2008 5:09 pm

It's hard to tell really. Emily is dog selective. She does a lot better with non-pit bulls. She gets along best with dogs that are smaller than she is. She also likes to be the leader.

I voted between 1.5-2.5 but I'm not positive.

OlympianAB
Addicted to PBF

Postby OlympianAB » Wed May 07, 2008 6:42 pm

i didn't vote..yet

but cap started getting DA towards a rottie in a puppy play class when she was 5months old.. it got worse til about 15months old..

now at 4... onleash she can usually 99.5 time deal w any dog.

off leash idk i'm not going to try it. She does play with Dewi. She's very good with submissive males. she was okay with Alinda's female this summer, but hated my foster Polly.

she at this point she's selective off leash, but she doenst show it like a normal dog. She wont growl, but man will her tail really start to wagg when she's ready to try to do some damage..

also she's fine with most of the strays on the other side of the fence in my neighborhood..

Dewi is an AB pup 15weeks old..not DA, just doens't seem to know how to play w furry dogs...

Return to “Training and Behavior”