Weak Nerves and terrified of the world

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Salival
Super Bully

Weak Nerves and terrified of the world

Postby Salival » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 am

It has been a really long time since I have been active on this board, and holy stickies! Anyway, to the main pain in my a** lately....

8 mo pit male - still intact

Absolutely terrified of people and dogs

I have tried utilizing food drives while in very quiet environments.
I have tried to utilize prey drives while in very quiet environments.
I have tried just sitting and waiting for him to lie down - anywhere outside.

The second this dog steps foot outside his house he is shutting down. No food, prey or praise will comfort him. He won't budge.

When it is dark out and people are inside he is somewhat more workable, but still panics at any noise.

At 13 weeks he was pulled out of a garage where he spent all of his time in a tiny crate.

He also has a severe clinging issue inside the home. He will fight to be touching you. He can not function without touching you.

He has growled at someone while at work with me. She walked into the back room where I was preparing meals for the animals and he ran under the table and proceeded to growl at her. I finally got him out once she stepped out of the room and he went back into his crate for a while where he ignored her when she returned.

Oh yeah, the best part: he is so sensitive that he will get screaming diarrhea almost instantly upon being stressed. Taking him for a walk is ridiculous as he basically s**ts all over himself while walking, pees on himself as well. This dog has had chronic diarrhea his entire life because of stress.

So now what do I do? All of my suggestions and attempts at working with him are completely fruitless. So now I would like for his owner to hear other opinions outside of mine as well.

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu May 01, 2008 11:29 am

howdee Angie!!!

Aww, there is nothing that I know that you dont already know. Sounds just like, well sadly a "Weak link" in the dog with a lack of nerves.

My only advice is to just keep building and building and be sure that no one in his life (besides you-for I know you arent) coddling him or reassuring him for being fearful.

He really should be able to move forward at this age under your care.

PS
you should of adopted Meatball.. LOL
(had to say that....)

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Thu May 01, 2008 11:45 am

haha I don't know I am a little bit drawn to the white boy you have ;) Meatball is a great boy though.

This dog though. I am thoroughly convinced it is a genetic defect. Good lord even Beau was easier to deal with than this dog and he was 180 lbs and ready to defend himself from anything.

Kemper - the pup - goes into oblivian almost instantly upon hearing someone or something. Damn near ripped my arm out of my socket numerous times. He takes off mid-poop in a panic if he thinks he hears someone.

Kids, adults, seniors, dogs etc... he is not discriminating, he is scared of everything.

The problem with me now is I have no doubt in my mind that this dog will end up reacting before it thinks and bite someone out of his fear. If you are even mildly frustrated with him he will pop up at you and start mouthing your arm and has even started going toward your face. He is just a big pain in the a**.

I am so tempted to put him in a kennel for a week and just leave him completely alone. I just don't think that will change anything :(

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 am

wait... YOU take him Stac :twisted:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Thu May 01, 2008 12:10 pm

Salival wrote:wait... YOU take him Stac :twisted:

I will trade you for my..wait..what was it ... FREAK OF A FUZZBALL?

LOL

yes.. I have to agree, hearing this from YOU, that is probably is literally a weak link/genetic defect.
Poor dog.

You could try the kennel..but in a dog such as this , it could drive it further and more apt to turn into a fear biter and even worse in fearful behavior, but you could try for a few days see how he does.

ugh.. .. I know the condition you found this pup was horrible, it could of suffered some mental breakdown or medical break down.

I think we both know what road this dog could be on. :0 (
and that really sucks.

Just remember CopperTop and how hard I tried with her, for the outcome only to be what it was. She was just to mentally sick.

You tried and are trying Angie, you really did. :frown:

ps

I did see the cutest (!!!) lil Amercian Bulldog puppy looking thing at the pound last night.. omg.. cute.
They are listing him as a Jack Russell/pit bull (huh?) looked like a mini ABD to me....

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu May 01, 2008 12:31 pm

honestly , he sounds like he needs to go to the bridge... if he is chocolate and peeing on himself just being taken out of the house into the world what kind of a life is that? he is terrified, and while you have tried and tried and tried, his genetic makeup is yelling demons in his head that he cant control ... it would be kinder to give him a peaceful trip to the bridge, where he will become whole again and wont have demons in his head screaming to him... only then will he finally be at peace, and i am sure he will be thankful for you doing that for him.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Sun May 04, 2008 8:07 am

Neuter him immediately, of course, to see if that helps. Then try a two week shutdown (it's in the stickies for new adopted dogs). And if he's still terrified, then it really is time to consider euthanasia. Poor thing.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun May 04, 2008 9:24 am

tiva wrote:Neuter him immediately, of course, to see if that helps. Then try a two week shutdown (it's in the stickies for new adopted dogs). And if he's still terrified, then it really is time to consider euthanasia. Poor thing.

I'd agree...a strong two week shut down but it may be too late at this point. It sounds like his fear is so embedded, it IS him now, not just a part of him...

Salival
Super Bully

Postby Salival » Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and the shut down process is by far the most consistent and fairest. Sadly I have been doing the 3 week, 2 month and constant regression out of him no matter how I approach the issue.

Although the neutering might take some of the nerves away because of the lack of hormones and then again it may not. Chances are the owner will be able to neuter shortly though and I will recommend a 4 week break for the hormones to level. After that though I think he may be on his own with this one. :frown:

Return to “Training and Behavior”