Developing DA with familiar dog...

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Developing DA with familiar dog...

Postby buster!brown » Mon May 05, 2008 7:02 am

I've noticed that Buster is starting to develop DA towards a familiar dog. The other dog belongs to my in-laws and is a 10 year old APBT. They've been the bestest of buddies, playing, walking together, hiking, swimming at the lake, napping together. They'd get into the ocassional scuffle over a toy or food, but nothing that wasn't easily avoided. However, in the past few days, it seems that they are seriously not getting along. Buster's daddy is out of town and it seems he usually does unwanted things then (eat my couch, eat my shoes, etc.). The easy solution is obviously to just not have the dogs around each other as they don't live together. However, since Buster's been a puppy (he's 2 now) it's been part of the family environment to have the dogs together while the family is together. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the sudden DA? Both dogs are neutered, and as I said before they LOVED each other until about a week ago. Any suggestions as to how to handle this are greatly appreciated. Oh, and I haven't noticed any DA with Buster and his other doggy buddies.

mrpps
Adolescent Bully

Postby mrpps » Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 am

However, since Buster's been a puppy (he's 2 now) it's been part of the family environment to have the dogs together while the family is together. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the sudden DA? Both dogs are neutered, and as I said before they LOVED each other until about a week ago. Any suggestions as to how to handle this are greatly appreciated. Oh, and I haven't noticed any DA with Buster and his other doggy buddies.

The fact that they have been part of the "family environment" is a human issue that needs to be set aside. Both dogs being neutered does not negate the fact that two male dogs may at any time, develop issues with one another. Any suggestions as to what is causing it would be speculation as dogs act instinctively, not rationally.

Forget the "family environment" issue. The dogs don't have any idea what that means.

How to handle it is simple. Keep the dogs apart before you have a knock down drag out, bloody fight.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Mon May 05, 2008 7:24 am

I agree. I was just trying to find out if I'm doing something absolutely wrong that could be easily avoided. Thanks for the input.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 am

Pack dynamics between and among dogs, even those familiar with each other, can change over time. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong or that something is wrong with either dog. Often age can affect the relationship between two dogs, especially if one tends to be more confident/pushy than the other, and they can gradually become less tolerant of each other. The best way to handle it is simply to separate anyone not getting along.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Mon May 05, 2008 1:34 pm

If I cover anything that is obvious please dont take offense, just trying to cover all the bases.

-Keep toys, treats and food put away unless supervised
-Feed seperatley and monitor so they dont have a chance to try to steal eachother's food and pick up food blows when they are done
-Make sure each have their own cozy place they can retreat too
-Give them quality exercise time. Its like if you have to siblings stuck in the house on a rainy day they will be at eachother's throats. If you take those same two kids to the park they will be best buds again.
-Keep them out of situations they might try to fight over, even if its something as simple as getting on the couch, laying in bed with you, or a favored window spot. If they start to get snarky over the couch for example make them BOTH get down and go to there beds!

Is there anything in particular they get fussy over?

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Actually, the incident yesterday was really weird. We were in the garage and I was putting gas in the lawn mower. The older dog stood in front of Buster and then I caught Buster as he was about to bite him and the older dog kept following me as I pulled Buster away, snapping at him at the same time. No food, no toys (well except for the wonderfully fun lawn mower roflmao ). It was pretty frustrating.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it! :)

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Mon May 05, 2008 2:17 pm

I went through a similar situation with Sadie and my sisters dog Mookie (two females).

I did everything that was recommended and then I started to crate and rotate. It was just easier on everyone. After a few weeks of strict crate and rotate we began to reintroduce them out in the backyard where there are no territorial issues. We would introduce them for short period of time (for about 10 mins) for a few days and as the dogs seemed more comfortable we began to make it longer time frames. We also treated constantly for the first few times, but htey have NO food aggression whatsoever. We always gave to the dog that came first (Mookie) and knocked Sadie down a peg or two within the pack dynamics.

Take a look at the "2 Weeks give them a break" thread. One of your dogs (or both) just might need to be rebooted.

I also taught Sadie that when Mookie is out, she MUST have a toy in her mouth. The reason behind it is because Mookie is a big baby and Sadie plays rough. So now she bites down hard on a rope, a squeaky, or a kong and they chase each other through the yard. I did not put up any toys or treats, against opinions from here because Sadie needs the toy or she will use Mookie as a chew toy out of boredum. So its all within what you think your dogs can handle.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Mon May 05, 2008 4:42 pm

You mention that Buster's dad is away. This new behavior may just be because Buster is disturbed by the other stuff going on in his life. So I wouldn't freak out yet--just wait until Buster's dad comes back, and then bring the dogs together again in a calm, easily controlled situation (no toys, perhaps a parallel leash walk, or some other situation where you can easily walk between them to keep tensions lowered). When social dynamics change because people go away, dogs can change their behavior quite a bit. Good luck!

mrpps
Adolescent Bully

Postby mrpps » Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm

Pack dynamics between and among dogs, even those familiar with each other, can change over time. It doesn't mean you're doing something wrong or that something is wrong with either dog. Often age can affect the relationship between two dogs, especially if one tends to be more confident/pushy than the other, and they can gradually become less tolerant of each other. The best way to handle it is simply to separate anyone not getting along.

This is the only advice here that guarantees that the two dogs will not tear into each other. All other advice here may work, or if you try any of it, your next thread may be under "Health Issues" concerning your torn up dog.

They have a history of "scuffling" over items, DA has developed, and while it may have been triggered by the absence of one dog's owner, it was probably inevitable as one dog matured and they were together more and more. They do not live together and do not have to be together. It's not worth the risk.

SadiesHuman
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby SadiesHuman » Mon May 05, 2008 6:16 pm

This is the only advice here that guarantees that the two dogs will not tear into each other. All other advice here may work, or if you try any of it, your next thread may be under "Health Issues" concerning your torn up dog.

They have a history of "scuffling" over items, DA has developed, and while it may have been triggered by the absence of one dog's owner, it was probably inevitable as one dog matured and they were together more and more. They do not live together and do not have to be together. It's not worth the risk.

Put any two dogs, or any animals, together and you can have this problem.

But from the people I've talked to here, and what I've done with my two dogs.. I've been able to reintroduce them, under controlled circumstances, after a time of seperation and extensive obedience training.

If the scuffling is over specific items, then of course pick those up - but if its random and different then you need to reteach them how to behave around each other.

You can also crate and rotate for the rest of ever, if thats what you are comfortable with.

Bulldaddy
Matured Bully

Postby Bulldaddy » Mon May 05, 2008 6:39 pm

SadiesHuman wrote:

Put any two dogs, or any animals, together and you can have this problem.

But from the people I've talked to here, and what I've done with my two dogs.. I've been able to reintroduce them, under controlled circumstances, after a time of seperation and extensive obedience training.

If the scuffling is over specific items, then of course pick those up - but if its random and different then you need to reteach them how to behave around each other.

You can also crate and rotate for the rest of ever, if thats what you are comfortable with.

X2

Id like to add, when my dogs are playing together I dont let them growl or bark I believe t5his can cause a scuffle. If they growl I warn them once, the second time I take away the toy and put them both into a down stay.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Mon May 05, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks everyone! I definitely am not going to freak out about this until my husband gets back. However, as Jed (the older dog) is 10 and an old man, I don't want to risk Buster hurting him when they really don't need to be together. As long as they can be in the same house, separated, rotated in and out of the house, when my in laws watch Buster for me, I'll be happy. And since I watch Jed for them as well, I need them to be able to not necessarily coexist, but live under the same roof. I appreciate everyone's input. :thumbsup:

ColbyDogs
Bully Ambassador

Postby ColbyDogs » Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 am

The fact that they have been part of the "family environment" is a human issue that needs to be set aside. Both dogs being neutered does not negate the fact that two male dogs may at any time, develop issues with one another. Any suggestions as to what is causing it would be speculation as dogs act instinctively, not rationally.

Forget the "family environment" issue. The dogs don't have any idea what that means.

How to handle it is simple. Keep the dogs apart before you have a knock down drag out, bloody fight.

Good post.

The one thing that seems is being over looked is that the dog in qiuestion is an APBT at 2 years of age. That is right around the time frame when our dogs really come into thier own and do not care for other dogs as much as they use to.

This is a very common thing with our breed and it should be of no shock to anyone who owns them. No question that it sucks when you can longer have them interact with other dogs but it goes with the territory. I cannot count how many times i've seen this happen with the breed, dogs are best of friends one day and sworn enemies the next.

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Thu May 08, 2008 11:56 am

I really appreciate everyone's posts.

ColbyDogs, thanks for pointing that out. It really sucks that they were so amiable at first and just hate each other now. Luckily, only one of the dogs is mine, so the solution is quite easy. :)

buster!brown
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buster!brown » Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am

Just as an update, once my husband had been gone for about a month, Buster went back to being his old self - he must have had an adjustment period or something. :thumbsup:

Anyhow, his Daddy is back now and he is far more tolerant of Jed. So while this is awesome, because they can behave around each other, I figure I must be projecting something or not projecting something that I should because he acts strange when my husband isn't around. :dunno: So I'll have to work on that, I guess. :)

Return to “Training and Behavior”