Establish an order, or treat dogs equally?

Tricks, obedience, behavior, and more.
Belle*a*rina
Bully Lover 4 Life

Establish an order, or treat dogs equally?

Postby Belle*a*rina » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:03 pm

I hope this goes in this section. Mods, if it doesn't please move it and tell me what the appropriate section is.

My ex-husband and my mom both feel that you should establish an order in your house if you have more than one dog. (They both think the alpha dog is the oldest dog. I think it's the one that dominates everything and keeps the other dogs in line but that's beside the point). Anyway, they think the alpha dog should get things first and then you work your way down the pack to the youngest. So, the alpha dog always gets their treats and food first, gets to get in the car first, etc. My friends and other people think no matter what, you treat all dogs the same, no matter their age, dominance level or size, etc.

I'm just putting my feelers out there to see what the PBF members think.

Do you think treating two or more dogs the same will aid in starting more fights or prevent them?

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:11 pm

We have an established pack order in my house with the dog. My chihauhua is the top dog (mostly for his safety) And Cowgirl is the bottom of the totem pole. Without an established pack order my house could easily be chaotic and unsafe for the dogs.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Let them show you what order they want to be in, and keep it that way unless it's somehow unacceptable, then enforce the order you want them to be in (as long as there's not major friction).
In no way should 2 dogs or more in a household be treated equally.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:48 pm

msvette2u wrote:Let them show you what order they want to be in, and keep it that way unless it's somehow unacceptable, then enforce the order you want them to be in (as long as there's not major friction).

I second this. When I brought Cyrus home, I tried to establish Deja as "higher" because she was the resident dog. Through trial and error, Cyrus became "top dog." He goes outside first, eats first, etc. And Deja, well, seems she could care less lol

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:54 pm

lpyrbby wrote:
msvette2u wrote:Let them show you what order they want to be in, and keep it that way unless it's somehow unacceptable, then enforce the order you want them to be in (as long as there's not major friction).

I second this. When I brought Cyrus home, I tried to establish Deja as "higher" because she was the resident dog. Through trial and error, Cyrus became "top dog." He goes outside first, eats first, etc. And Deja, well, seems she could care less lol

x3

chia pit
Matured Bully

Postby chia pit » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:00 pm

:thumbsup: i agree

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Dogs are treated equally here.There is no order in which they eat, they get out, they go for walks, or they get attention.The idea of top dogs, alpha smalfa and what not are not considered here.I don't believe in the "pack theory".It is old stuff that does not make much sense in the domestic dogs.Amazingly, most people still believe in it, regardless the fact that even among wolves (which is where all this come from) social structure was actually quite loose and no so strict as people made it out to be.In my house there is me and them, I have no need to enforce any "pack order".Behaviors are addressed, not "ranks".

Tahla9999
Bully Ambassador

Postby Tahla9999 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Red wrote:Dogs are treated equally here.There is no order in which they eat, they get out, they go for walks, or they get attention.The idea of top dogs, alpha smalfa and what not are not considered here.I don't believe in the "pack theory".It is old stuff that does not make much sense in the domestic dogs.Amazingly, most people still believe in it, regardless the fact that even among wolves (which is where all this come from) social structure was actually quite loose and no so strict as people made it out to be.In my house there is me and them, I have no need to enforce any "pack order".Behaviors are addressed, not "ranks".

I prefer Red's way. :)

L Boogie
Bully Ambassador

Postby L Boogie » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:18 pm

Tahla9999 wrote:
Red wrote:Dogs are treated equally here.There is no order in which they eat, they get out, they go for walks, or they get attention.The idea of top dogs, alpha smalfa and what not are not considered here.I don't believe in the "pack theory".It is old stuff that does not make much sense in the domestic dogs.Amazingly, most people still believe in it, regardless the fact that even among wolves (which is where all this come from) social structure was actually quite loose and no so strict as people made it out to be.In my house there is me and them, I have no need to enforce any "pack order".Behaviors are addressed, not "ranks".

I prefer Red's way. :)

Ditto. All dogs are equal in my home, and I am the leader. If anyone displays dominant behavior over the other, I correct them.

Never had a fight.

dawnapbt
Addicted to PBF

Postby dawnapbt » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:21 pm

I concur with Red. I have rules, and I enforce them equally, and I try to treat my dogs equally. Neither one gets fed "first." They are fed in separate areas, so frankly, they don't even know who gets fed first. With treats, whoever does a behavior first gets it (i.e., if I say sit, the first one to sit gets the treat).

I've noticed that, among dogs, as Red says, the whole "dominance" thing is loose. Yes, if one very dominant dog is paired with a very submissive dog, that's going to hold (just like in people!) but for the most part, even amongst the dogs here, I see it situationally based and moderately variable from day to day.

elegy
Bully Ambassador

Postby elegy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't reward status, I reward manners. Dog who sits first goes out first, dog who sits first is leashed/unleashed first, etc. Mushroom usually eats first because his crate is closest to where I prepare food.

Luce is very much the self-appointed queen bee, and that's fine. But she's not allowed to be a jerk anymore than Mushroom is allowed to be a jerk, and she doesn't get anything special just because Mushroom defers to her.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:53 pm

All dogs are treated equally here. I don't let there be a real dominance structure. However, I do practice what elegy said.

elegy wrote:I don't reward status, I reward manners. Dog who sits first goes out first, dog who sits first is leashed/unleashed first, etc.

b square
Adolescent Bully

Postby b square » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:50 pm

I agree with Red. All dogs are treated equally, no special treatment . It's my way or the highway, no if and's or but's. As far as them establishing a pecking order betweem themselves, it's totally their call as long as they know I'm numero uno on the food chain.

30liveStar
Newborn Bully

Postby 30liveStar » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:11 pm

all three pitbulls are treated equally here....

the old terrier mix i have (18 years old) is an exception though. she is sheltered from the hooligans, because they could accidently step on her and kill her. lol but they do all interact well together, sometimes getting rough over toys - once that happens though, daddy comes and takes the toys away, and everyone gets put up for "time-out" roflmao

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:28 pm

b square wrote:I agree with Red. All dogs are treated equally, no special treatment . It's my way or the highway, no if and's or but's. As far as them establishing a pecking order betweem themselves, it's totally their call as long as they know I'm numero uno on the food chain.

This is exactly what I believe. It makes me crazy when people think they will dictate the hierarchy based on who they believe "should be at the top". It is a bit like nepotism in the Corporate world, which just exhausts the people who have to work for ineffective leadership.

Return to “Training and Behavior”