Big blue pig needing some help in Northern CA

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Big blue pig needing some help in Northern CA

Postby caped dog » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:43 pm

He is at a local shelter. Neutered, chipped UTD on shots. Needs a savvy adopter that can diligently adhere to pit bull basics and moderate this big pig head at all times. Here's the deal; I love this dog, he is a LOT of dog but by no means unmanageable (think bowling ball meets disco light type of energy). He is solicitious, charming and will work for tortilla chips. His vice is only that he is himself, and not aware of the language other dogs throw this requires the human to prevent and at times intervene to prevent escalation. He's short on time outside sacramento.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 am

He IS cute. Big, blue, lunkheaded boy. :thumbsup:

HAPBTR
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby HAPBTR » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:53 am

Omg I want :crybaby:

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:55 am

really- this pig needs a miracle of an adopter to appear in relatively short order... TB? sound like a fun project?

zephyr
Newborn Bully

Postby zephyr » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:03 pm

My god, if only I had a way to figure out transport....he sounds (and looks!) so much like our Benny.

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:21 pm

Do you have details on him? You can PM. I have someone who could possibly pull him out and place him.

TB
Adolescent Bully

Postby TB » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:29 am

Oh boy, another big headed blue? Is it the spirit of Chance coming back to haunt me? lol

You'll have to call me and use your powers of persuasion :peace:

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:29 pm

I took Desi to meet DUH-dley this morning, and he is just a big (75# easy with no fat on him at all) ball of stupid and happiness. I had been warned that he was a compulsive humper, but he never once made a move on Desi. She lifted her lip at him and snapped at him and he took it all in good humor. There's no knowing whether he might turn into a turd once he settles in somewhere, but he did fine with Desi and was much more excited about being out of his run than meeting a new dog, which is not at all a bad thing.

Dudley is starting to get kennel stressed, so City would like him out for his benefit. They haven't placed him in the adoption runs because of the humping, but it's been a couple weeks since they even tried him with another dog, and his neuter a month ago seems to have finally kicked in. :thumbsup:

I do not have time for a new foster, or I'd jump at the chance to have a blue hippo in my house, but he is available for adoption or to a reputable rescue. I could board him for a few days, but that's pushing the limits of my resources right now.

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:40 pm

TB, I'll call you tomorrow.

Thanks adoptanapbt for having a look at him with Desi, it did provide some worthwhile insights. He was also, reportedly, on his best behavior. Humping, in and of itself, is not that serious and can be more a doofy solicitation of play than anything else. It's the yahoos that would take oll Mr clueless to a dog park or otherwise set him up to fail that concerns us and keeps him off the front page.

I did a meet-n-greet with him and a potentlal adopter who had a shy female and he was solicitious to the point of obnoxious. He was not hearing her decline, and she was headed toward a corner from which there is only "fight or flight" and flight was rapidly becoming less of an option. I intervened, but it was not easy, so I think there are more pitfalls there requiring management and I just want anyone interested to have the benefit of the full picture.

Siberian, in my PM to you I indicated the same hesitation, he has a relatively narrow adopter base. The last porky blue male TB took for me from that shelter she had for two years. I'm sure y'all will forgive me, as wanting what's best for him and the breed, by my wanting to be sure there is that kind of commitment.

some add'l pix of him being himself:

Last edited by caped dog on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Oneluckygirl
Matured Bully

Postby Oneluckygirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:44 pm

so he doesn't like other dogs or he likes other dogs? I got confused.

Oneluckygirl
Matured Bully

Postby Oneluckygirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:46 pm

maybe you should try to contact www.itsthepits.com they take pitbulls. they might love to take him in. They are in california

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:49 pm

He likes other dogs fine, his behavior is more a lack of communication skills than anything - a lack that could get him into a heap of trouble if poorly managed by a poorly qualified adopter or rescue.

Oneluckygirl
Matured Bully

Postby Oneluckygirl » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 pm

I get you. How old is he?

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:57 pm

I actually think he is older than anyone first thought. An adult, old enough to both build up tartar and round down his canines (inexact science full of holes) so let's just say about 3.

ETA: And as far as other dogs goes, I should clarify, as an only dog would be fine, although I hate to make a blanket statement that he can only be an only dog, it is surely an option espec. depending on someone's experience/willingness. He is too big a trigger to be placed with a male dog, and even a possible female is all about chemistry (see point A: narrow adopter base). bleh.

adoptanapbt
Super Bully

Postby adoptanapbt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:14 am

Well, keep me in mind if he gets desperate. Lola is leaving at the end of the month, but I hate to count on that as a given. And I still have a crapload of work to do on the house, but that's another story... :tongue:

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”