First time Foster.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

First time Foster.

Postby Sanddi » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 pm

I've got some questions to ask someone who fosters for a rescue.
I'm not sure if I can post pictures of her yet. She's not a pibble. (I couldn't bring myself to foster one knowing I'd want to keep it. lol)
I just have some questions. If you could PM me or contact me thru yahoo messenger @ sanddi_canddi, that'd be great.

Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sanddi » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:26 am

Thank you for all of your help, Heather. :D

Since she is in my house, there's no reason why I can't show a few pictures of her, right?

Might help out with the before and after photos.

Introducing!!! Carmel!

They had her listed as a doberman... I guess I can kind of see it but I think she's just a super mutt. lol

hwillm1977
Addicted to PBF

Postby hwillm1977 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 am

Awww... she's adorable!

Hope everything goes well for your first foster :thumbsup:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 am

she's totally adorable :)

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 am

Awwww.... She's so adorable! Thanks for fostering! :thumbsup:

LowLady
Adolescent Bully

Postby LowLady » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:02 pm

aww she looks like a dobie and pointer mix but who knows, congrats on fostering i just got my first foster 2 weeks ago and shes actually leaving me soon

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 am

Sanddi, why don't you just ask on this thread? It might be helpful for other people who are thinking to foster too.If you really don't want to talk about it on here I'd be happy to chat with you trough PMs.

Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sanddi » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:56 am

Red wrote:Sanddi, why don't you just ask on this thread? It might be helpful for other people who are thinking to foster too.If you really don't want to talk about it on here I'd be happy to chat with you trough PMs.

Oh.. Heather helped me out. But thanks for the help.

She's doing wonderful, by the way. Such a sweetheart. Someone's already interested in her! yay!
She's got kennel cough but they're sending me medication for it. After it clears up, I'm taking her to the vet to get spayed and up to date on shots. Then it's time for adoption events if the first one falls thru.
I'm all excited. lol

medagrl

Postby medagrl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I am a new foster too...hmmm should I have some questions? :tongue: :huh?:

Spurby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Spurby » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Carmel is adorable, nice to hear she has someone interested in her :)

Don't forget you can always ask the rescue you are fostering for any questions you may have, they should always be there for any help you may need :thumbsup:

Sanddi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sanddi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:28 pm

So... here's an update.
When I brought Carmel home, I introduced her to Keeyah. (Bad mistake, I know that now.)
She barked very aggressively at her. At first, I didn't think it was aggression because she was wagging her tail. I didn't just let them meet face to face at first so please don't think that. Then she tried to bite at Keeyah. I was like, okay.. that's enough.
They have been seperated compleatly. Carmel stays in my game room and the other three stay in my bedroom. They catch a glance at each other from time to time.
I came home today (I took my three with me and my room mate stayed and watched after Carmel), I didn't know Carmel was outside. The three ran up to the back sliding glass door to go outside but Carmel saw them and started barking and frothing at the mouth. I took the three and put them up until Carmel was done outside and then switched them.

(BTW, Heather thought I ought to read the sticky 'Two weeks' and I did.)

Anywho... On to the update.
I recieved an email from one of the rescue ladies today asking if anyone wanted to switch dogs. There is a dog in a foster home right now that isn't getting along with the two smaller resident dogs. I emailed her back and asked if she was sure the foster dog just didn't like dogs all together since I'm having a problem with Carmel being aggressive to the others.
She said she had no idea that Carmel was dog aggressive since her original shelter ad had stated that she did well with other dogs. She didn't want her to go back to the shelter and couldn't take her since she already has two resident dogs and a foster. She said she would get in contact with the founder and see what she thinks is best.
I then recieved an email from the founder. She said that she is going to find Carmel a foster where there are no other dogs. Poor girl.
I apologized that I didn't say anything before this. I just thought she was scared and acted out. She responded with
Not a problem sounds like she is a little bit more work and I appreicate that you are willing to work with her. A lot of people would have dumped her. We do appreicate it and she will find a home but it will have to be with no other dogs. Thank you for your help and you have nothing to apoligize for. We believed her shelter ad also so I guess we may find her better later or she may have been scared at the shelter or vice versa.

So.. as it stands now. I still have Carmel. I'm not actually sure what's going on. I don't know if I'm going to continue to foster Carmel or if they're going to put her in a dog-free foster home. I don't have a problem with continuing to foster her since I've got the crate and rotate situation down. But they know what's best for her and I have to follow what they say. I know I haven't had Carmel for that long but like I said, they know what's best.

Kind of good news/bad news at the same time, right?
P.S. She's doing so good. She's opening up more and more to me all the time and LOVES kids.

Just thought I'd fill people in on what's going on.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”