Manolo in need of home

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Manolo in need of home

Postby sahara311 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:40 pm

This absolutely breaks my heart to write this.
I have decided that trying to find Manolo a new home is what is best for him.
He is 4 years old, beautiful fawn and white, and just can't get along with my oldest dog. I have tried everything. And as soon as I leave the house and my boyfriend takes over care of the dogs, a fight breaks out. The bf has had it with the fights, and says Nolo has got to go. I would rather see him go to a great forever home then to the HS like bf is threatening. So I'm kinda in dire straights.
Nolo gets along fine with our female, and other females so far fine. Just not with Cane. He lives in our kitchen and I would like to see him in a one dog type household situation.
I dont know if the mods will delete this, or if i am able to post this here, but all other efforts to rehome him have only produced crazies, and I would like to see him in a APBT-knowledgeable home.
He is the one to the right
He is the one in my avatar, looking at the camera
So, if anyone would like to contact me, please PM me. Or if anyone has any advice, please feel free to give it. I would do anything to keep him and not have the constant fear that if I go out of town, something bad will happen.
(please don't flame me, I'm trying to do what is best here)

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:34 am

Pit bulls need to be separated when home alone or when unqualified caregivers are there. Your BF doesn't have what it takes to manage them. I'd start a crate and rotate system.

Your dog depends on you to make smart decisions about his life. If you can't keep him, he needs to go back to the shelter or breeder he came from. I would like you to think long and hard about that decision.

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 am

They are always separated.
I'm not an idiot, tyvm.
Crate and rotate, we do that.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

They are always separated.
I'm not an idiot, tyvm.

Why ask for advice if you are going to get snotty and defensive?

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:29 pm

If you are doing that, how are they still getting into altercations? I am not asking to be a smart ass, I am just asking because if done properly, all dogs should be safe.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Maybe Manolo needs to be crated whenever you leave. It kinda seems like the BF might not garner much respect.

Since it would appear that you are a long term member, I bet you already do these things, but since you are trying to re-home your dog I'm going to offer anyways. Do you NILF? With a dog behaving like Manolo I would kick NILF into high gear. What is his level of training? Not that training can fix DA, but it can make it easier to manage. I would work on brushing up on his skills (maybe have BF work with him?). How much exercise does he get?

IMO a dog who has the above basics covered is easier to manage even if it is DA, and will not be negatively impacted by being on a permanent C/R situation.

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:12 pm

lauren99 wrote:
Why ask for advice if you are going to get snotty and defensive?

Ok, I am sorry for sounding defensive. I did ask for advice, and that is what was given.

I guess I didn't say that we have tried nearly everything. Behaviorists, obedience, walking, you name it. And somehow every couple of months, I am stuck with a vet bill and dirty looks from the condescending vet at the er. I understand that they are apbts and that they may fight if given the chance.
One is always separated from the other. The only way that they could get to one another is during the transition period when rotating. And that's when it happens.
Like I said, it never happens when I am home. The bf (who was once understanding that he has apbts and the stigma and work that goes along with it) Has now gone to the standpoint of sick of having them around and doesn't want to do anything with them anymore. I feed them, walk them, vet them, everything, because he wants nothing to do with them. That alone breaks my heart, and I am distraught over his apathy to our "kids" he once cherished. I very seldomly even ask him to help with the dogs, but this last time I had to work late and run to school, and didnt have time to run home and let the dogs out, etc.
Somewhere between letting one out and closing the gate, (he says) one lunged through the baby gate (4 foot metal pet gate) and just viciously attacked the other without provocation. I seem to think he is exaggerating or didnt see what was happening before the squabble.
But the point is, he is ready to just take the dog to the pound when I am not home, and that's not what I want. Lots of kill shelters around here.
and no I cannot return him from where he came from because he was abandoned to fend for himself while his "owner" moved away.

I am sorry if i sounded snotty, I am just emotionally drained from all of this and came here for help, not a lecture.

Our house is small, and the crate is in the kitchen and the only passageway in and out of the kitchen is where the fights occur.
amyd
If you are doing that, how are they still getting into altercations? I am not asking to be a smart ass, I am just asking because if done properly, all dogs should be safe.

amyd, if you have tips on crate and rotate, I am open to them. I think tonight I will see if I can make room to put the crate in the back bedroom, see if that helps any at all.
I really don't wanna give this guy up, I just want him to be happy and healthy.

lauren99
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby lauren99 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:15 pm

Ahh I see...You are in a really hard position..Honestly if it was me the dog wouldnt be the one leaving lol. Your bf sounds like he is either very nervous of the dogs or feels like he cant handle them, therefore its easier to get rid of one.

Whatever your decision is, good luck :hug:

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:16 pm

merriterrier wrote:Maybe Manolo needs to be crated whenever you leave. It kinda seems like the BF might not garner much respect.

Since it would appear that you are a long term member, I bet you already do these things, but since you are trying to re-home your dog I'm going to offer anyways. Do you NILF? With a dog behaving like Manolo I would kick NILF into high gear. What is his level of training? Not that training can fix DA, but it can make it easier to manage. I would work on brushing up on his skills (maybe have BF work with him?). How much exercise does he get?

IMO a dog who has the above basics covered is easier to manage even if it is DA, and will not be negatively impacted by being on a permanent C/R situation.

Yes, I have been a member since getting my first pit 6 years ago.
All my dogs have had at least basic obedience classes, the oldest getting to the highest level and winning best in class several times.
Yes, we do NILF. well, I do. They get nothing for free.
No, the bf has no authority with them anymore, except with the female who is submissive to everyone. He really just doesn't even care anymore.
It's really starting to cause tension in our relationship as well.

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:23 pm

amyd, if you have tips on crate and rotate, I am open to them. I think tonight I will see if I can make room to put the crate in the back bedroom, see if that helps any at all.

If you can explain the layout of your house, I may be able to help you a little more.

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:59 pm

ok
front door leads into living room. living at the far north(or startight ahead) leads into hallway where the bedrooms and bathroom is. That hallway is small, all 3 doors from teh bedrooms and bathroom are in like a semicircle at the end of the hallway.
standing at the front door, to the left is the entryway into the kitchen. here is the baby gate where the fights begin. The kitchen is quite large and has the backdoor that goes into the backyard.
i tried drawing a schematic, but the formatting didnt come out right and it just was a jumble of "l"s and "_"s. :sad:

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:47 pm

So, I hope this article will help you understand crate and rotate a little more(If you have already read this, I apologize):
http://www.pbrc.net/rotate.html
For now, why don't you keep Manolo crated in a bedroom with the door shut, while the other dogs are out. Set a timer, then switch. Crate the dogs while Manolo is out.
I would also double up on your baby gates, and where the fight begins I would put one gate at the beginning of the entry way and another after that. (I hope I am understanding your floor plan.)keep dogs out of that area if it is an issue.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:56 pm

sahara311 wrote:No, the bf has no authority with them anymore, except with the female who is submissive to everyone. He really just doesn't even care anymore.
It's really starting to cause tension in our relationship as well.

I'm sorry, that sucks.

I would be calling the shelter and asking if they have room for a housebroken male, does he do dishes? That would increase the BF chances of being adopted. :tongue:

It sounds like you do have an awkward situation with your house layout. How many bedrooms and how many of them are in use? It is just 2 dogs that have an issue right?

sahara311
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby sahara311 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:16 pm

merriterrier wrote:
I would be calling the shelter and asking if they have room for a housebroken male, does he do dishes? That would increase the BF chances of being adopted. :tongue:

roflmao

too bad it's his house..... :sad:

It sounds like you do have an awkward situation with your house layout. How many bedrooms and how many of them are in use? It is just 2 dogs that have an issue right?

I do have a very awkward layout in a small house. Only 2 bedrooms, one we use, the other is all storage and computer room.

where the fight begins I would put one gate at the beginning of the entry way and another after that. (I hope I am understanding your floor plan.)keep dogs out of that area if it is an issue.

it's only 1 doorway, so 2 gates aren't an option sadly.
I think I'll clear out this spare room and put the crate in here, see if that configuration works at all.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”