Desperate Help Needed for Duchess in MS/TN/AL/etc

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Desperate Help Needed for Duchess in MS/TN/AL/etc

Postby Sierraraptor » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi all,

I work at an animal hospital where a gorgeous pit, Duchess, desperately needs a new home. Duchess was rescued as a puppy wandering the streets of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

Our vet made the 7 hour drive from Oxford, Ms to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina hit and brought back nearly 80 homeless animals. When Duchess arrived she was in poor health and had a terrible case of ringworm. While being treated she was isolated with 2 black labs who also had ringworm, and she did wonderfully with them.

Duchess stayed with us after most of the other dogs were placed in foster homes, reunited with their families, or permanently placed in new homes. She continued to be isolated from other animals due to the ringworm. By the time Duchess was healed from the ringworm, months later, she was full grown and lacked proper socialization with other dogs. She has been living in our boarding facility ever since, with a few months relief in temporary foster homes.

Duchess is house trained, is very responsive when on a leash (completed extensive obedience training), and is wonderful with humans. She is by far the calmest pittie I have ever met! She went to one home a year ago and was returned due to no fault of hers. The young man loved her and said she slept on the couch with him and in bed with him. Her new pet parent had to return to live with his parents who had 2 yorkies. It was agreed that Duchess does not belong in a house with 2 yorkies.

We are now at a cross roads with a tough decision. We have contacted Best Friends and Pittie Rescues over the past 3 years asking for help, but we get the standard “can’t help you.”

It is not fair to Duchess to live her entire life in a small pen with minimal human interaction. She is becoming increasingly depressed and unresponsive when we go to greet her each day.

We would love to find a wonderful pit rescue that could help out, but we also do not want her to be in a situation where she is euthanized inhumanely at a shelter by someone else.
She needs the right person/group who has the ability to help her find her forever home. We are reaching out once again for help with Duchess.

ANY suggestions/advice are much appreciated. We all adore Duchess and think of her as part of the family.

We feel that we have exhausted nearly every resource available and still haven't found a solution, so this a final plea to all you pit lovers out there.

If a rescue in any part of the country might be willing to help Duchess, we would be more than willing to arrange transportation.

Sincerely,
Sierra

Last edited by Sierraraptor on Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sierraraptor
Newborn Bully

Postby Sierraraptor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:10 am

Bump for Duchess

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKaeB2epsVQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zKaeB2epsVQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Sierraraptor
Newborn Bully

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:09 pm

aw, she is precious, great video! hoping she gets her forever home.....

btw even though she has not been socialized with other animals, does she react to them or can she "behave" around them - if so perhaps you should mention this, just a thought...hmmm, just re-read the above more carefully, so she does go on walks with other dogs with no issues so sounds like she can behave though there was the "incident" - just rambling I guess but more people are often willing to take on a DA dog if their need to please allows for good leash behavior around other animals and MAY be worth mentioning.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Re: Desperate Help Needed for Duchess in MS/TN/AL/etc

Postby Sierraraptor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:47 am

Another bump for sweet Dutchess!

Dutchess found a foster home for a few months, but now she's back at our boarding facility. :sad: Her foster dad said she was excellent in the house - no behavioral issues. She has also completed extensive obedience training and heels beautifully on the leash. Dutchess is such a calm girl, too - you won't ever meet another dog like her!

And, Nickdawg, I know this is a late reply, but she can and does behave herself around other animals while on-leash - she should never be off-leash around other animals, though!

Please help us find Duthcess her forever home before it's too late - any suggestions/crossposting/etc. will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sierra
Sierraraptor
Newborn Bully

Postby FBODGRL » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:54 am

Oh no...why is she back? Could the foster not hang on to her?
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sierraraptor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:04 am

FBODGRL wrote:Oh no...why is she back? Could the foster not hang on to her?

We knew it wouldn't be a long-term foster, as the young man was in the military and might have to leave at any time (which he did). He had nothing but good things to say about Duchess, though. This sweet girl has had such a sad life, due to no fault of her own!

I think the reason she's getting more and more depressed is that she [i]knows[i] what it's like to be in a home, and now she spends 24 hours a day in a run surrounded by barking dogs :( It's breaking all of the staff's hearts - we need to find a rescue/foster/forever home for her! I wish I could take her, but my poor apartment is more than maxed out with three cats and two pit bulls already. 8(
Sierraraptor
Newborn Bully

Postby merriterrier » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:05 am

Have you posted her on PBRC?
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby laiinkyree » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm not sure how they get their dogs, but there is an organization called A Rotta Love Plus in Minnesota that takes in pits to become ambassadors for their breed. If she's gone through all of that training, she sounds like the perfect candidate for that rescue. Maybe you could contact them and see what they say?

Here's their website: http://www.arottalove.org/

Here's their forum: http://www.arottalove.org/forum/

They've taken dogs from out of state before I believe.

I hope this helps!
laiinkyree
Matured Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm

You ever try Hearts Of Gold Pit Bull Rescue?

http://pbrc.net/webapp/cgi-bin/organiza ... c43?id=123

I have NO personal knowledge of them but they are in your area.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:36 pm

How about trying Animal Farm Foundation? http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org/ I know they are in NY, but they might give her a try if they have room.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Sierraraptor » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! I will definitely be contacting all of the organizations listed.

And, Ilovethepits, I have indeed heard of Hearts of Gold Pit Rescue - I adopted my dog, Veruca Salt, from them a year and a half ago :D Hearts of Gold is wonderful - Duchess was listed on their petfinder page for several months. I'm not sure why she's not on there right now, but I will ask if they can re-post her.

Thanks again,
Sierra
Sierraraptor
Newborn Bully

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:46 pm

She is breaking my heart.

You could try a heartfelt plea to Roo at http://www.pitbullunited.com/wallacethepitbull/

He is big in the bully disc dog world and might possibly know of someone looking for a disc dog prospect - not that Duchess is, but you never know. Plus he has tons of contacts.

Bless you for trying for so many years to help this girl. She deserves a home of her own.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:20 pm

is she on Dogster? maybe a face book page?

thanks for looking out for her so well, she is a doll.
Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs