Legitimate Southeast Rescues?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Legitimate Southeast Rescues?

Postby AmphiGorey » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:17 am

This is my first post so be patient with me...I hope I'm posting in the right place. I have done small breed and Great Dane transport for years, as well as working with exotics and feral cat trrap/neuter/release in my area I moved to last fall. Since the move to this rural area we've had several dogs dumped or tied to fenceposts or fire hydrants. Animal control is rarely here. And of course I believe we have an active pit fighting ring somewhere, because I've heard and seen some odd things in the past few months. Why am I posting here? I've taken in two emaciated staffy/pit mixes (not sure what they are, obviously poorly bred) because our neighbor who helps with the "dropoff dogs" is scared to have them on her property and I have a spare kennel to house them in. They are great around horses and other dogs, but want to chase the neighborhood cats that wander up here (who are semi-tame, I've already TNR'd after confirming no ownership most of them I have seen). I fear that they can never become the indoor fosters I'd prefer them to be, and I really don't want them to have to stay in a kennel forever. I can't trust them around the elderly toy-sized dogs that are our permanent residents. On top of it, I've got a few surgeries coming up over the spring/summer and they really need proper attention. They are spayed & neutered, wormed, vaccinated, etc. and I feel that is all I can offer them at this point in my life. They need to be somewhere where they can get love, further training, and hopefully a forever home. So...this leads me to the question: Are there any legitimate rescues in the Southeast? If not, are there any that will take dogs if I transported? I am willing to transport them anywhere in the continental US to ensure their safety before or between my surgeries. I just don't want to be a let-down to these two wonderful dogs. Thanks for your time everyone.
AmphiGorey

Postby moto1320 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:30 am

:) Welcome Amphi, thanks for what you are doing. I am in GA and there are some good rescues here. My first suggestion would be to get on www.pbrc.net or www.petfinder.com and see what bully rescues are posting in your area. If I'm not mistaken you can post pics and bios of them yourself. You probably won't have to travel that far at all. The lion's share of us here rescue, so we should be able to figure out something. Due to the overfilled rescues you may have to hunt around a bit. Keep us posted. :thumbsup:
moto1320
Regulator

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs