*help this lil guy please*

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:59 pm

Amy Hendrickson wrote:You file a found report with your local shelter with the dog's description and your contact information. The shelter will tell you how long you have to hold onto to the dog before you can "claim" ownership and rehome it if you don't want to turn it over to them.

Finders keepers doesn't apply to this situation, unfortunately. He looks like he is at a good weight, good body condition, nice shiny coat, bright eyes. Despite what we think about his owner's not keeping track of him, he still looks pretty well cared for and not like he was chained outside unattended. They are probably broken hearted.

You have to report this dog to the proper authorities. If this was my dog and it somehow got out of the house and you rehomed it without even trying to do filing a report or looking for me....I can't even tell you how livid I would be.

I know you are trying to do the right thing, but do the legally right thing.

I did the right thing, I took a stray dog and found it a great home. Period

I do not have to report this dog, I did not have to take this dog in and find it a home. I could of left it in the warehouse it showed up in. If it was your dog and it got out of the house, you should of had it taged to be returned to you.

This whole liberal mindset is retarded. If you opt to own a pet animal, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT. If I find it and you were not responsible, then sucks to be you. Dis How we do stuff around here. But if it makes you feel any better next time I'll just look the other way and let the pup get picked up and go to kill shelter.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:15 am

chocolate happens, puppies run off after rabbits... just because he showed up at a warehouse does not mean he doens't have owners looking for him.

It will be MORE heartbreaking if the owners show up a week later and say "Thats my dog!!" to the new owners than if you give it a REAL effort and try to find the previous owners.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 am

Camfather I think you are hilarious (and no that is not sarcasm) but I am quite bummed I'm a couple days too late! I would love that pup, he's soooo cute!

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 am

Misskiwi67 wrote:chocolate happens, puppies run off after rabbits... just because he showed up at a warehouse does not mean he doens't have owners looking for him.

It will be MORE heartbreaking if the owners show up a week later and say "Thats my dog!!" to the new owners than if you give it a REAL effort and try to find the previous owners.

We've tried our best. How do you prove real ownership anyway? You yourself could show up here tomorrow and claim thats your dog cause you like him or something. When you break it down, no effort was made to record the dog to the original owners, so what, let any asshat show up and claim that is their dog? Will there be a dna test involved? I don't think so.....

So even if someone shows up in a day to claim their dog, how the fizzle do you honor that claim?

retarded.

Record your pets, name tags help, micro chips rock :headbang:

PEACE dog loving peoples :peace:

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 am

Darlazmum wrote:Camfather I think you are hilarious (and no that is not sarcasm) but I am quite bummed I'm a couple days too late! I would love that pup, he's soooo cute!

Thanks as I'm feeling not so much love to come from this board toward me very soon. roflmao

I can't belive some of the stupidity I'm encountering here trying to help a DOG have a life :po:

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:58 am

So even if someone shows up in a day to claim their dog, how the fizzle do you honor that claim?

When I find dogs I have fliers up with my phone number.I do not put pictures nor my address, just the breed or if it is a mix then I say "it appears to be a....". and an approximate age.The person who call has to describe the dog in details.On the flier I add that unless whoever call can describe the dog nearly perfectly not to bother calling.If it sounds like they know what dog I have and they have pictures I ask to bring them along.That kinda helps.I live on a military base so I feel to leave my number but if you are worried about that then you could put your e-mail address on the flier.

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:08 am

Red wrote:

When I find dogs I have fliers up with my phone number.I do not put pictures nor my address, just the breed or if it is a mix then I say "it appears to be a....". and an approximate age.The person who call has to describe the dog in details.On the flier I add that unless whoever call can describe the dog nearly perfectly not to bother calling.If it sounds like they know what dog I have and they have pictures I ask to bring them along.That kinda helps.I live on a military base so I feel to leave my number but if you are worried about that then you could put your e-mail address on the flier.

That is SOLID advice but honestly...........

How often does that work out?

I can only put so much effort into returning a dog to its irresponsible owner over so many years.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 am

camfather wrote:
That is SOLID advice but honestly...........

How often does that work out?

For me it has worked often but keep in mind that I live in a military base and not a large city.If I find a dog off base...ugh.One time I took care of a pit bull male that ended up at the local AC and then the rescue on base.The dog was at the rescue for 3 weeks and one day I go to get him out of his kennel and he was gone.The owners were on vacation and had friends "watching" the dog.The dog escaped and I guess the owner either were not told about it or took their sweet time to come back.They brought pictures at the rescue and the dog was theirs for sure.In those 3 weeks the dog could have been adopted out since he had no microchip, nor a flipping tag, just a bandana on his neck.
Nobody claimed my ex fosters Tigger and Jack, both found on base.So no, sometime it does not work out.

I am of the opinion that there is little excuse to make when a dog is left without a tag or microchip.It tells me that someone did not care enough to make sure their dog could find his way home if he got lost.Then again if one start think about the if and but it could have been a dog slipping out of the house, the owners are in lalaland and don't even know what a microchip is, or they were waiting on taking the dog to the vet to do it.Or...they don't give a rat's ass about the dog and they are not doing enough to find it.Frankly, if I don't see fliers up on the second day I think that I might have to end up deciding what to do on my own.Give it what sounds to be a reasonable amount of time and then do what seems to the best for the dog.

Speaking of how long it takes sometime for the owners to find their dogs...at the same rescue we once had two huskies.They were there for 5 months when the owners ended up contacting the rescue.The dogs escaped 50 miles from the facility! I don't know why but those two dogs traveled for 50 miles and end up being picked up by AC, on base.The owners looked on line, everywhere they could think of, and finally found the dogs on the rescue website.Of course they did not look that far, initially.It was a miracle they found the dogs.

TacoFlavoredKisses
Bully Ambassador

Postby TacoFlavoredKisses » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:51 am

I understand you situation I too picked up a puppy and was unable to take it in for 30 days but what I did do was find him a home and I told them that in one month if I don't get a call then its yours.

I did what Red said to do. I got several calls but noone gave a description anywhere close to the pup I found. I also called neighboring shelters to make sure no one called up there or made a report. Noone ever showed.

You never know the situation what if the pup had tags but they where taken or came of. The dog could have been stolen then dumped many things could happen that doesn't necessarily mean they are uncaring bad owners. Taco doesn't have chip (I can't afford it right now) god forbid if he had his collar off for whatever reason and got out I hope whoever found him would give me the benefit of the doubt.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:35 am

Honestly, where was the owner??? Where were HIS signs, where was he walking everyday calling out his dogs name? Cmon...I just went through this with a neighbor who ended up paying for their neglegence. They lost the dog, no tags, hadn't got him fixed (yet..whatever, I HATE hearing that) it wasn't registered (even though I gave them a place to get neutered, shots and registered for $50, $15 more gets a chip) She came to me all upset about her lost dog. They put up signs 3 days later. 3 days. can you feel it people?

Anyway a neighbor found it, took it to the shelter after 2 days with no signs up she didn't know who's it was. The shelter adopted it out the same day, and the owners just got lucky they showed up that same day.

$235 later they got their dog back. that is a nice financial slap on the hand, they could have saved a lot of money if they had listened.

People listen when they want. I agree with the OP.

Sweet72947
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Sweet72947 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:50 pm

So, hypothetically, if somebody's dog gets stolen, collar removed, and dropped off 50-100 miles away from where they live, and they only look around and put up flyers maybe 10-20 miles away, they are a bad owner? (Some people are afraid to microchip their animals because microchips have caused cancer in lab rats, so they are afraid their animals will get cancer.)

Also, some dogs can cover a lot of ground. A dog gets out and runs 50 miles away (it can happen, especially with breeds like greyhounds) and the owner is bad because they only think to look 20 or 30 miles away?

Did you check craigslist? Some people post on craigslist about lost/found animals. Did you check various lost animal websites on the internet? There are three or four different ones at least, for example www.dogdetectives.com.

I remember a story once about a cat who some people lost. The cat was microchipped. In CA, a cat was scanned for a microchip, and when the number was checked it turned out to be their cat! They lived on the East (don't remember which state), across the country from CA. Nobody knows how their cat got all the way over there, but they flew over there to get it! Weird things happen sometimes. This story was on Animal Cops San Francisco.

nena103102
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nena103102 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:32 pm

I've basically done the same things that red said and I've always been in bigger cities. Whenever I've found stray cats or dogs I've put up fliers without the pic and my email address and have people discribe the pet, also craigslist has a lost and found section that I look at daily (incase I see any strays I might recognize). Hopefully the owners ARE out there looking for him and will find him if not then hopefully he'll be very happy in his current living conditions.

camfather
Newborn Bully

Postby camfather » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:50 am

If one of my 3 dogs got lost, Id only hope they ended up in a nice home.

If you loose your dog, you suck. htf do you loose a dog? Dogs don't get lost, stupid ass people dont pay attention, simple.

Just saying......

If you can't afford a collar, name tag or a micro chip, you can't afford to have a dog. Don't give me that it cost to much money bullshizzle, you took this animal in as your PET. Do it right, monthly internet access is probaly the same cost as a micro chip, if not skip two months.

Just saying.......

If one more irresponsible pet owner chims into this thread ima have to :bully:

just saying

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:50 pm

It's really not that unfathomable that the puppy was dumped. I think they took the right steps... if the owner of the pup comes forward and wants to throw legalities out there instead of THANKING the person who took on their puppy and kept him safe then umm, well, be ready for a fight from me!

Remember Traffic anyone? Chances are 99.9% that he was dumped. He was a healthy weight when i found him, GORGEOUS, GORGEOUS, and it had been raining ALL night long so the roads were soaked, but when I found him, his underside was just barely dirty and damp... as if he'd been out running the streets for all of an hour or less. He came right up to my car, knew a few basic commands, but, had phyisical markings on him leading me to believe he had been neglected and treated poorly for sometime recently as well as some questionable fearful behavior.

I put up signs THAT DAY, took him to get microchipped scanned and left my info with several vet's in the area, as well as feed/pet stores within the vicinity he was found. I called around to all the local AC's/shelters/humane societies, posted on craigslist AND the forums, and even took a few days to drive around looking for any "LOST" signs posted. Needless to say, I got a few dead end leads thru craigslist (including random people that had seen him running in traffic but couldn't pic him up wanting to thank me for taking him in!) and he was finally adopted after 4 months of being my foster.

Hard to believe a dog that looked this good was just dumped, right? AND, somebody paid a pretty penny for his crop job but didnt bother with a collar, microchip, or nueter. You tell me who he was better off with... there was certainly nobody looking for him... they could have easily found my info.

GOOD LUCK OP, and I noticed the person who's holding on to the puppy joined too, so thanks for looking out for this little guy... hopefully he's landed himself in a more responsible home now!

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:33 pm

To the OP, I've been in your shoes and done the same thing. I also have been on the other end of the conversation (having to hold for 30 days... legally). I've done it and had to return an unchipped, untagged, pup to an irresponsible owner who didn't BOTHER to look for him for 4 days b/c it was the weekend - I guess, a weekend is Friday through Monday.

It sucked to have to return him.

The one I took off the side of the highway (at dusk) had no tags, chip, nothing. I posted, drove house to house up and down the highway for a 5 mile radius. Vacc'd him, neutered him, dewormed him. $3,000 in parvo treatment later, I placed him. Screw his former owners. Pup would have been dead on the side of the road or died a horrible death from parvo.

Legally, you should have held him for the 30. Ethically, probably the same statement would apply but, in my town and immediately surrounding area, too many people let their dogs run and just don't seem to care about the leash/containment. I'll give my best efforts (truly, BEST) for 8 days - then I'm done. Dog is placed.

~k.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”