Foster desperately needed in BC Lower Mainland *graphic*

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:19 am

Aww, glad he found a foster! Good Luck!

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:34 pm

So glad to see this..........damn those senior dogs, always pulling at my heart strings.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:51 pm

I. Love. This. Dog.

I went and picked up the big boy today and brought him to his foster home. I've renamed him Gabriel ("Gabe") after my old cat, who was also a fat-headed senior rescue.

Gabe is a total gem. A stately old gent, with a silly side. He's got the biggest head I've ever seen on a bullie, and his ears are just so sad.

His life so far has been awful. He's a mess of scars, and has a couple of abcessed old punctures on a front foot and a back foot. He's favouring one of his back legs, his ears are terrible, and I'm worried he's got entropian on one eye. He'll be headed to the vet this week for a work up to find out what all needs to be done.

Despite that, he's all wiggles and kisses. If you make kissy noises at him and call him "Pork chop" (he reminds me of a porkchop for some stupid reason), he falls over onto his back, grunts like a pig, and waits for belly rubs.

His head is gigantic - he could easily fit my head in his mouth :shock:

Anyway, here's a ton of pics and a little clip of him on his back

His sore legs

a closeup of his poor ears - there's literally NO ear left. They cut off the whole thing on both sides :(

At his foster home

Look at the size of his head!

getting silly when I called him "Pork chop"

I'll post the movie clip as soon as I get it uploaded :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:13 am

aw thanks for the update... what a love... like the new name too. I hope his former "owner" is being charged :po:

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 am

I don't know what will be happening with the former owner - I got the impression he's in jail on drug charges.

Gabe was owned by an alleged drug dealer, who was allegedly breeding pits for fighting. He was kept with three larger, younger, intact males who beat the snot out of him. He came into the spca at one point as a seizure due to the condition he was in (the earlier pics where his face is all mangled), and was returned to the owner on the condition that he be kept separate from the other dogs. This was supposedly followed, although the nasty punctures on his feet say otherwise.

Over the years, he's been a "frequent flyer" at the pound, coming in as an at large - the owner has always claimed.

Recently, Gabe and the other three male dogs were seized as "abandoned" (the pound seized them from the house, so I"m assuming the owner was arrested - that's usually the only time the pound goes into a residence and seizes dogs as abandoned). The other three dogs were immediately euthanized as they were apparently aggressive (fear aggression). The shelter hung onto Gabe hoping for a rescue spot, because he is so sweet with people.

This goes to show the amount of education that still needs to be done though - the shelter automatically had him labelled as "no other dogs" and did not have him available for adoption (rescue release or euth only), because of his scars and history. Yet he is NOT dog aggressive. He is quite polite on leash around other dogs, happy to ignore them, and is being very respectful of his foster sisters.

Here's a vid of him hamming it up on his back
Here's the little video clip

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 am

This goes to show the amount of education that still needs to be done though - the shelter automatically had him labelled as "no other dogs" and did not have him available for adoption (rescue release or euth only), because of his scars and history. Yet he is NOT dog aggressive. He is quite polite on leash around other dogs, happy to ignore them, and is being very respectful of his foster sisters.

Yes all dogs need to be assessed based on behavior not appearance or supposed history. I am so glad he is in your care now - he deserves the good life which I know he will get now.

Such a big lug in the video :) .

GSDBulldog
Addicted to PBF

Postby GSDBulldog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:57 am

:inlove:

oh man- he's too perfect.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:29 am

aww what a handsome old man :inlove: :inlove: I'm glad he's safe with you.

Good luck Gabe, that name really fits him.

LoveBullies
Matured Bully

Postby LoveBullies » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 am

I'm glad to hear he's at a foster home!!!! What a special guy!!!!! He's got an angel by his side.... I hope his "presvious POS owner" is in jail, and hopefully there are Males there bigger and intact and on his donkey. GOD!! Things like this make me sooo mad! :po:

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:11 am

His ears and his expression have turned around 100 fold from the first pictures, He's so danged handsome! I wish i had a big house and loads of money, the oldsters are always going to be my favorites.

Can't remember who said it....

Blessed is the man who has earned the love of an old dog.

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:10 pm

I love him! :inlove:

HersheyBear
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby HersheyBear » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 pm

What a stately gentleman he is! The first few pictures of him are so horrific.. it's wonderful to see how much he';s improved.

mydogroxy
Bully Ambassador

Postby mydogroxy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:09 pm

oh i loooove him!

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Looking AWESOME ! ! ! ! Gotta love these guys.

Now he just needs his home ! You cant ask for a better companion then a senior pit bull.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:34 pm

jtalt7 wrote:Looking AWESOME ! ! ! ! Gotta love these guys.

Now he just needs his home ! You cant ask for a better companion then a senior pit bull.

Well, as it turns out, he needs more than a new home, he needs (and will get!) some veterinary care. You can read the update here.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”