Gabe needs your help - updated!

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Gabe needs your help - updated!

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Most of y'all have already read about Gabriel, formerly Kevlar, who just came into our foster program. Not surprisingly, given his background, his vet visit turned up some medical issues. Gabe has an infection in both ears, due to their being impacted, which is now being treated. He also has mild arthritis in his hips and his right elbow, and is on medication for that.

The good news from the vet visit is that Gabe appears to be younger than we initially thought and is estimated to be about 7 years old - a middle-aged dog with many good years left in him.

Gabe went in for his neuter on Saturday, and we had something unexpected come up - the vet discovered Gabe's spleen is enlarged. The vet tells us there could be many causes for an enlarged spleen, and we are just beginning the investigative process. Gabe's vet bills are quickly adding up, and there will likely be more as we first diagnose and then treat the problem.

Gabe is an amazing dog, who deserves so much more than he's gotten so far. Despite having been abused, neglected, and severely injured over long periods of time by other dogs, Gabe remains a silly, snuggly, loving boy, who is respectful of other dogs (proof that fight scars don't mean a dog is dog aggressive!). Everyone who's met Gabe is instantly won over by his gentle demeanor and cannot resist kissing his gigantic noggin.

Please, if you can, sponsor Gabe via our Lovely Fund, I know he will appreciate it!

Last edited by HugABull1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:08 pm

have the vet test for cancer (lymphoma type ones), diabetes too. enlarged spleens are one sign, and can also be a sign of lyme disease if you have ticks up there..

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Maryellen - got your PM, thanks!

Cancer is, of course, what we're most worried about, although the vet keeps assuring us it's not that likely. He's getting a blood panel done this week, which should tell us more.

If the panel shows infection, we'll put him on a stronger course of antibiotics (he's already on some), and x-ray the spleen again in 4 weeks. If it's normal, then we just x-ray the spleen again in 4 weeks. Either way, if the spleen is still enlarged in 4 weeks, we'll need to do an ultrasound-guided biopsy.

Of course, if the blood test shows other abnormalities, outside of infection, we'll have to adjust the diagnosis and treatment plan accordingly.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:25 pm

time for an update!

Gabe's preliminary bloodwork came back, and the good news is, his liver and kidney function are normal. Bad news is, his globulin levels are high, and his spleen is still enlarged.

We don't know why his spleen is enlarged. X-rays didn't show any tumours, which is good news, but doesn't rule out cancer, unfortunately. If cancer is the cause of his enlarged spleen, we can be fairly certain it hasn't spread to his other organs, as they are functioning normally, so that's good news. Other possible causes of the large spleen and high globulin include infection, particularly a blood-borne bacteria caused by tick bites, allergies, and certain immune disorders.

The next step is to aggressively treat Gabe with antibiotics and prednisone, to rule out infection as a cause. Because his bloodwork was otherwise "okay", it's fairly "safe" to take this more cautious approach, versus just taking his spleen out right away. In a month's time, Gabe will be examined, and if his spleen hasn't gone down in size, it will then be time for the next step - taking out his spleen.

Gabe's vet bills are adding up quickly. He's already had two sets of x-rays and a course of antibiotics, ear meds, and meloxacam (for arthritis), along with a blood panel done. He's now going to be starting more meds. Ultimately, if he needs his spleen out, that surgery alone will cost about $800.

Please, mention Gabe and the Lovely Fund to your friends, family, and coworkers - he needs your support. Believe me, this boy is WORTH IT.

I'll be keeping this updated, and we'll soon be posting an update on our site and blog. I'll also be planning some specific fundraisers for Gabe and the Lovely Fund, and will keep y'all posted.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am

Man alive thats one sweet boy. I dont have much through the holidays to donate, but certainly will next payday.

I am hoping for the best outcome for this boy and look forward to updates.

pittymomma
Bully Ambassador

Postby pittymomma » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:52 pm

we will send a lil something....

Poor boy has had a hard go hasnt he.....

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:56 pm

pittymomma wrote:we will send a lil something....

Thanks guys! He really has had a hard go, and I just love this dog to death. True, I love most of the dogs I pull, but this boy is special. If I could fit him into my household, I would, in a heartbeat.

OT, but: pittymomma, would you believe we STILL get applicants from Ontario? If anyone from Manitoba east inquires about adopting, I always refer them to Bullies in Need - is this still the best thing to do? Can people in Ontario adopt Pit Bulls in Ontario? How does the ban work around that part of things?

We also, sadly get just as many emails from people, shelters, etc. in Ontario wanting us to take Pit Bulls, which we don't do (we don't take dogs from out of Province, and don't send our dogs out of Province). I am also referring them to you, saying while I doubt you have space, you can likely connect them with more local resources. Is this right?

Last but not least, pittymomma, while your donations are always welcome, please don't feel obliged. You guys have it so tough over there, I'd rather see every penny go to the Ontario dogs.

BTW, HugABull is of course in opposition of the ban, and we do our best to support the fight against it, through spreading the word, and donating where we can. Our executive director did a great little "contest" recently on our forum, where she sent $100 and any member who matched or beat her donation got a free HugABull t-shirt :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:36 pm

how is Gabe doing? any idea of what is up in terms of the enlarged spleen? no $$ now but can contribute in the new year.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:43 pm

HugABull1 wrote:
pittymomma wrote:we will send a lil something....

Thanks guys! He really has had a hard go, and I just love this dog to death. True, I love most of the dogs I pull, but this boy is special. If I could fit him into my household, I would, in a heartbeat.

OT, but: pittymomma, would you believe we STILL get applicants from Ontario? If anyone from Manitoba east inquires about adopting, I always refer them to Bullies in Need - is this still the best thing to do? Can people in Ontario adopt Pit Bulls in Ontario? How does the ban work around that part of things?

We also, sadly get just as many emails from people, shelters, etc. in Ontario wanting us to take Pit Bulls, which we don't do (we don't take dogs from out of Province, and don't send our dogs out of Province). I am also referring them to you, saying while I doubt you have space, you can likely connect them with more local resources. Is this right?

Last but not least, pittymomma, while your donations are always welcome, please don't feel obliged. You guys have it so tough over there, I'd rather see every penny go to the Ontario dogs.

BTW, HugABull is of course in opposition of the ban, and we do our best to support the fight against it, through spreading the word, and donating where we can. Our executive director did a great little "contest" recently on our forum, where she sent $100 and any member who matched or beat her donation got a free HugABull t-shirt :)

We can still adopt pit bulls in Ontario, they just have to be older then 3 (born before the ban in 2005) and neutered. The Toronto Humane Society has tons of legal pits.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:08 pm

I think about this guy a lot............no room at the inm though.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:05 am

Gabe saw the vet today and had another set of x-rays to check his spleen...

... it's back to normal!!!!: :nana: :yay: :yipee: :cheerleader:

Gabe now has a clean bill of health, aside from arthritis, which will need regular medication.

His total vet bill, prior to the x-rays and meds today, is $840 (plus another $110 from today). So far, we've received a much appreciated $350 in donations to Gabe's medical expenses, and we could really use some more help.

You can donate to Gabe's medical costs via the Lovely Fund.

Gabe's enrolled in Pit Ed, so if you're in Vancouver and looking to meet him in person, sneaking by after class would be a good opportunity :wink:

Gabe will also be going up for adoption next week. Anyone interested should visit our website http://www.hugabull.com and fill out an application form.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”