Stella - older girl

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Stella - older girl

Postby merriterrier » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Meet Stella. Stella came into the shelter yesterday. I wasn't supposed to take any Pit Bulls, but her demeanor and adorable factor just won me over. I guess she is about 30lbs. She is probably about 6 or 7, but it could just be poor diet that has messed up her teeth (she is in need of a good teeth cleaning). She is currently in poor condition, I think she has worms, and is underweight with a poor coat. But she is a total doll! Very loving and affectionate. She let me poke her and prod her and accepted 3 shots in good spirits (the dog she came in with was jumping all over me and cold fingers are not nimble :oops: , third times the charm I guess). She is very hungry and gobbled up her food instantly. She has not displayed DA (and previously lived free range with a male dog), but has not really been tested.

I am also wondering if she looks pregers? I have vehemently denied it, but my manager says she does (pregnant Pit Bull = euth, so I'm insisting it's worms).

Thanks for looking!

the_flamingo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby the_flamingo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:47 pm

She is such a pretty 'ol gal I just want to sit there and cuddle with her.

I shouldn't have looked. She is really pulling at my heart strings!

My first thought was wormy belly, till I read the sentance above it and she does look preggers. :(

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:53 pm

Aw, poor girl. She looks so sweet.
Jen

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Oh my Robin...she is adorable..I have such a soft spot of the old gals. She could be a good sofa warmer..LOL..kind of like Martha. Did you worm her?

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:44 pm

Oh man... definitely pregnant. Where are you located??? Will she be put down right away if she is pregnant?

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Either pregnant or has heartworms so bad it is causing ascities
She needs to be checked. Adults normally don't get bellies that are that distended from worms without some serious visual consequences in the stool. You would know.

It's not too late for any of those. She can be spayed, she can be treated for HW and she can be treated for worms.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:46 pm

I don't think she's carrying her weight right to be preggo. I took in a dog a few months ago that looked exactly the same and I ran her to my vet immediately thinking we'd be delivering puppies at any moment. The best analogy he could give me was "think of the starving children in Africa that you see on those 'feed the children' shows and that's what is wrong with this dog."

She wasn't wormy, just VERY malnourished and bloated. Within a few days (I did worm her) her belly had gone down to normal size.

Typically preggo dogs carry their weight further back and you don't have that waistline like this dog still has.

I'm not an expert. Just my opinion...and given the circumstances, I sure hope I am right. :sad:

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Ok, so I found out that Stella is about 10-11yrs. She was adopted from the Monte Vista shelter 2yrs ago and she was an owner relinquish. The original paperwork said she was 9yrs. Stella is supposedly spayed. She has horrible tape worms and round worms; she has been pooping tons.

I'm trying to get the shelter take her in to the vet. I'll have them add a blood panel and heart worm test to my tab.

I think she would love to be a couch potato! She is so lovey and cuddly. You can feel her sigh when you let her into your lap and cuddle her (I'm thinking she hasn't been cuddled in a while since she smells so bad like poo).

rambler72 - Yes, if she is preg. she will be euthed, but really it is trivial b/c she already has a date with the needle next Fri. She is one of those dogs the shelter won't bother with: she is not worth the time or $.

I wish I had a better set up; I would take her here in a heart beat. I'm trying to convince Morgan that since she is so old she has to come here cause she can't be outside at night. But, with our delightful sewage disaster I know he won't go for it until we have running water again. Damn, when will I get a small indoor/outdoor kennel setup? relying on foster homes is hard...

Jen - I was already planning on shipping her off to you. I figured with those ice storms Toes might need some help to warm the sofa. lol

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Ok, great...lol..Toes could have a decent cuddle partner, instead of Pave laying on top of him when there's no room..lol..when is your sewer issue going to be fixed? Can't you set something up in the garage for her? She's a old lady, she deserves to live her life comfortable...you can always pull the Chilli card on Morgan.

Libby
Addicted to PBF

Postby Libby » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Oh, that poor old sweet heart. I wish I had more room, I would take her in a heart beat.

Libby

3fatponies
Matured Bully

Postby 3fatponies » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:17 pm

MT--
where are you? Is this girl cat-friendly? Have you seen her interacting with other dogs yet, and if so, can you guess-timate DA levels or what social rank she may hold?

If I could find a place for my foster pup, I'd love to talk to you about her, but I doubt I have that much good karma built up for it to happen in time to save her, or that she would be a candidate for the zoo I have here.... :crybaby:

I'm a sucker for the old dogs who just want a warm bed and a kind word. The smartest adoption I ever made was when I adopted my Daffodil through mydogroxy's shelter (thanks to MaryEllen pointing her out)--Daffodil has turned out to be a true benevolent alpha (which is something I have not seen a lot of, so she has taught me a great deal) and every minute I have had her has been a gift.

People who won't consider seniors are really missing out on some of the best dogs in the system.... :frown:

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:44 pm

she is in colorado 3fatponies... oh if you could take her...she would have the life.....

3fatponies
Matured Bully

Postby 3fatponies » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 pm

CO? Damn!!! If closer, I might be in the car already....

It's times like this where I wish I wasn't fostering so I could say "test her and if you think it's a go, let's figure it out!!"

I'm seriously considering another senior once I place my foster pup, and my dream is to find another Daffodil who not only can cope with all the critters here, but likes them....

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:01 pm

val there is always this girl she is in baltimore Md http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=110470
or powder in PA http://pbf2.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=110590

3fatponies
Matured Bully

Postby 3fatponies » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:31 pm

MaryEllen, you are a bad influence! lol

Both are too cute! Thanks for sending them--wasn't aware of Powder, but Moon is actually on my "watch list." However, I can't do anything until the foster pup goes. AHHHH, the frustration!!

Cross your fingers that the puppy's forever home is found soon, because after that hubby gets a brief break from the madness while I put out the word for a senior. He works from home now, so a quiet, mellow senior would be just the thing....

Ooooh, you are so bad!!! :))

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”