Meet Guinness

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Meet Guinness

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:38 pm

Guinness was picked up just before Christmas time. Skinny, raggedy and seriously neglected. We met him in the shelter after he had put on some weight and was looking a little better. He's a deep deep red, almost a chocolate brown but with deep red and gold highlights and he may have some brindling. He's a medium sized dog, his back hits about knee high. He weighs about 55 lbs now but needs to put on some weight and fill out. He may fill out to be a large dog at over 60 lbs. Of all the dogs to choose from in the shelter, he stood out in so many ways. But the most clear when you meet him is his heart of pure gold. Instead of running around in the shelter play yard, he just wanted to come over, get real close and put his head in my chest. We think he's an American Bandogge Mastiff which is a cross between an American Pit Bull Terrier and a Mastiff type. In his case we think maybe a Dogue Du Bordeaux (french mastif). His coat has some patches missing and those are starting to fill in nicely. He's neutered, vaccinated, microchipped, & Hw tested/negative.

He may not be not the prettiest or the youngest but he's the absolute nicest and sweetest! He is a good looking, impressive boy and just the coolest dog you'll ever meet. He has a bomb proof temperament and is just a real gem. He's good with other dogs and appears good with cats. He is a mellow love bug. He's such a quiet and easy low maintenance dog. He is quiet in his crate and responsive to direction. He is learning house manners and needs some leash training. He pulls hard on the leash right now but is learning. He has a few commands. He would be a good choice for any home, even a first timer to the breed. He loves attention and is affectionate. He will just come and sit beside you anywhere and rest his head on your shoulder. He doesn't really like to be outside on his own now that he has a taste of being inside on a soft bed. He does his business as quick as he can so he can come back in the house. He doesn't mind if you play with his food when he's eating. He does take treats with his whole mouth and needs to learn to take delicately. He doesn't take it rough, your whole hand just goes in his mouth and gets slimed - so we're working on that.

He's such a mellow mellow boy - until the tennis balls come out. He loooves tennis balls. His eyes light up as soon as he sees one. We're working on fetch and also giving back the ball instead of trying to shove the next ball in on top of the first. He can hold three tennis balls at a time.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:02 pm

:inlove:

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:48 pm

hes gorgeous, although I'm not entirely sure he'll appreciate being ''exposed'' on the internet lol

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:08 pm

He may not be not the prettiest

But he might be the handsome-est! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
He sounds like such a great dog.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:38 pm

What do you guys see when you look at him. I know he's not a purebred but I don't see anything other than maybe DDB though he is way too small so it wouldn't be much. His hair is coarser and just slightly longer than a pit. Someone at the vet today said he looked like a chocolate lab - but I don't see that at all.

RescueAPBT
Matured Bully

Postby RescueAPBT » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Hmmm. I could see some Lab in there possibly. Actually I've known quite a few Labs with very similar looking facial expressions, lol. Also, when I compare him to pictures of Bullmastiffs...I can kinda see similarities in the head/face too...just not so many wrinkles. :dunno:

amyd
Bully Ambassador

Postby amyd » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 pm

The coarse fur and his ears;I could see Lab.

APBT<3er
Forum Junky

Postby APBT<3er » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:20 pm

I see mastiff.. anyone ever seen the movie Turner and Hooch.. he looks kinda like hooch. same color to.

chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby chinsNdobermans » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:38 pm

APBT<3er wrote:I see mastiff.. anyone ever seen the movie Turner and Hooch.. he looks kinda like hooch. same color to.

I can see DDB in his stance/build but chocolate lab in his facial expression/color/size... hmm... a mystery! Whatever he is, he is certainly handsome!

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:21 pm

He is really cute!

He looks like the "grown up" version of WakeMeUp's puppy Io, with natural ears (I think a lot of the "bigger" type of APBTs have ears like this), a bully type dog. Sometimes dogs that aren't bred to UKC/ADBA standards in one way also have other things like ear set, excessive skin, size, coat length and feel, temperament, etc. that are also not to these registries' standards.

If he is only 55 or 60 pounds and only knee-high it would probably have to be a very small mastiff he is mixed with; those big red weight pull dogs that are "rumored" to be mixed with DDB back in their pedigrees are often upwards of 90 or 100 pounds (Chevy, Whopper, etc.) or even 120 pounds on their websites, which makes sense because the DDB is often 120 or more pounds, and 24" tall at the withers and up.

I think he is adorable, and he's lucky to have you looking out for him! I'm glad to hear he is so slutty and sweet.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeah, I can't figure out his mix. I really dont' think it's choc. lab. The color isn't quite right, it has some dark red and some light red and I think is a brindle just very faded out. His ears are really really soft, very thin cartilege. His ears would never have stood if they were cropped, no matter how short they were cut. They are just so thin and soft. His coat is not quite pit bull but I can't decide if it is "I've had icky skin all my life" or if it means he's mixed. It's not too much longer than a pit bull or a badly bred pit bull but it is very coarse. Not like lab coat though. He's got a whippy tail and has happy tail.

His bones are really large and he was 45 pounds when he was neutered and underweight. He has a large frame and I think should be about 60 lbs. I'm not thinking he's half and half DDB but maybe there is some DDB in there somewhere. He's just got that droopy deputy dog look

He's really really soft, really soft in temperament.

nygemma
Matured Bully

Postby nygemma » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:44 pm

He looks like a mushy luv boy.
My little dog is named Guinness, hopefully this guy will find luck with a new home

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:07 am

bump for this guy!

I bet with good food and an attentive loving home he will be a real looker.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”