Looking for the "New Paco"

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Looking for the "New Paco"

Postby pacopoe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:09 pm

So we're officially looking for a new dog now. I know it might take a while to find the right one (our list of requirements is long), so that's why we're starting now.

Anyhow, here's what I just sent out to our e-mail list (feel free to cross-post or send wherever):

The recent and sudden death of Paco has left us with a Paco-shaped hole in our lives, one that needs filling. Now, we're not naive enough to think that he could truly be replaceable, but the company is stuck without a mascot and Ana Poe is lonely without a pit bull, a situation that needs to be remedied.

But the problem is that Paco had a very specific job so we need a dog who can fit into that role, and that's where you come in. We need help finding the perfect candidate. Sure we've been cruising Petfinder.com, but some of the best dogs don't show up there or are still in the shelter. We need you to pass along this e-mail message to anyone or any rescue you think can help us locate the perfect dog.

Don't worry, you will be kindly rewarded for your efforts. If you send us the tip that leads us to the perfect dog, you will win the Paco Collar of your choice! If you already have a Paco Collar, you can choose to donate the new one to rescue, but that's up to you ;)

Job Description: The new dog must be willing to act as the new face of Paco Collars, model when necessary, greet customers at the store, and make public appearances. This means a non-fearful, stable temperament is a must. The new dog will also accompany Ana Poe just about everywhere and will need to be small dog (Xochitl, aka. "The Roach"), cat (Pirate), and child friendly. The ability to focus, learn new tricks, settle when the job is done, handle new things, and an outgoing personality are a plus. Oh, and be willing to cuddle at the drop of a hat. Basically, we're looking for a quintessential pit bull.

Requirements: the dog must be
- a Pit Bull or Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- a rescue dog
- male

Preferences: (the following is a guideline only... kind of like stating, on Match.com, that you'll only date guys that are over 6'3" but you know you'll settle for shorter if the fit is right)
- Under 50 lbs.
- good lookin'
- solid color (mostly)
- rose ears
- underbite

Basically, the perfect replacement dog is more like an old style APBT, one that can fit in your lap if need be, has lots of drive, and is handsome. Ideally the dog will be hosted by a recuse group so we can do a trial period to make sure the fit is just right. We know it may take a while, months even, to find the perfect dog, so that's why we're staring now... you can't see the rainbow if your eyes aren't open.

If you have any questions or a lead on what you think is the perfect dog for us, shoot us a note at info@pacocollars.com. Paws crossed the right guy comes our way!
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby bellabear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm

Good luck in finding your new companion, I know it will be nothing like Paco, because they are all so unique, but hopefully your new addition will help fill the void in your heart :hug:
bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Its too bad you are so far away, I would love for you to meet my Virgil. Silly big bully that he is .
Good luck, thank you for going thru rescues and putting yourself out there to take the time to find the one that fits your personal groove.
:thumbsup:
I tell folks all the time, look around, you will know when the right one looks you in the eye.!
luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby FearSheeple » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Good luck on your search! I'll be excited to hear when you find the perfect one. :)
FearSheeple
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:25 pm

awww I really hope you find your match!! My question is.. would you be willing to travel, if the perfect dog is in another state?!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby bellabear » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 pm

ilovetyson wrote:awww I really hope you find your match!! My question is.. would you be willing to travel, if the perfect dog is in another state?!

I was thinking of her, while I was just reading about Atlas.
bellabear
Forum Junky

Postby Angela Adams » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:35 am

Fear_the_Sheeple wrote:Good luck on your search! I'll be excited to hear when you find the perfect one. :)

x2 :)
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:32 pm

Email sent to our friend who found Levi for us!
FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 pm

hehe yea, Atlas would be a good Match
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Ana - what about a puppy?
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby BabyReba » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm

ah, if only we could get you and button in the same place to meet and see if his wrinkly baby weirdness would do the trick.
BabyReba
Regulator

Postby pacopoe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 pm

BabyReba wrote:ah, if only we could get you and button in the same place to meet and see if his wrinkly baby weirdness would do the trick.

Ha! Siberian already said a few weeks back she saw a picture of Button and thought he would be a perfect dog for us.

Ideally we want a young dog but not a puppy. Not to say that we're totally opposed to the idea, but The Roach is not even 4 months old yet so two puppies would be a major handful. Plus I want to know what the dog would look/act like full grown and, unless you have one or both of the parents around, it's kind of hard to tell.

The perfect candidate would be around a year old (I know, all sorts of wishful thinking).
pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby heartbullies » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Nah, I don't think that's wishful thinking. Eight months to two years is when most pit bulls get dumped, the overwhelming majority of pit bulls I have ever brought into the shelter are in that age range.

Given the vast numbers of pit bulls and pit mixes going into shelters and never getting reclaimed, I think this is definitely a breed that adopters can (and should) be very particular and selective about-- there is such a huge and varied pool to choose from and it gets replenished every day, week, and month. It's completely depressing, but it also means it's much more likely that if, say, someone wants a pit bull but wants it to be dog-friendly, low-drive, fawn brindle 1 year old female dog with an eye patch, they can probably find what they're looking for eventually.

However if you wanted a one year old male Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever with no white on his face, well, that might not be too realistic, at least around here. :)
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby merriterrier » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Good Luck! I hope you find the next greatest dog!
merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Ana, I have an idea. It would be really hard for me, but ... I'll give you Betty. We'll dye her, and put a prosthetic wiener on her. I mean him. Yeah him. She is going to be 9 but she seriously acts 8 mos old still. And I ain't lyin.

I have my eyes peeled for a suitable rep for Paco Collars!
KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs