I forgot how frustrating it is

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
BabyReba

I forgot how frustrating it is

Postby BabyReba » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:37 am

So I have been out of rescue till I took in baby Button. Somehow I deluded myself into thinking one puppy placement wouldn't be too difficult. But every applicant I get is so strange. One woman who had a bunch of house rabbits and wanted a dog that would be ok with them (?). And then last week I got a promising looking app from a guy who said his last pit bull was put down due to cancer. Started calling around and turns out it was his girlfriends dog. No biggie. Call around some more and find out itvwas the girlfriends parents dog. Call the parents who tell me that it is they who want to adopt, and the dig will live with them. Call the original applicant who tells me that he has no time for a dig right now and wants them to own it till summer, then he will take the pup from them. Um. No way.

I call the parents who seem really nice and competent and they tell me that was news to them and that they'd rather me do what's best for the dog than adopt to this weird situation.

Original applicant calls me back and says Ok now they all changed their minds and it's all worked out andvthe dog will belong to the parents after all so please come do the home visit tomorrow.

I call him back and tell him to stop wasting my time.

I forgot how frustrating this all is.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:44 am

lol I hope you now forgive some of my more irritable moments!!
Not to mention when you deny an app and they write back blasting you, the dog, and your rescue all to hell!!

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:45 am

Buttons would really love you if you adopted him to a house full of bunnies. lol

SFBullyGirl
Addicted to PBF

Postby SFBullyGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:56 am

I bet you guys could publish a book with all your funny stories of people that try to adopt dogs

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:28 pm

"I want a puppy. I have chickens, rabbits, goats, a feral cat colony, 12 other adult dogs from Chihuahua to Great Dane, and I also run a preschool from my house. But it's all how you raise them, right? So I want him, like, last week. But I'll settle for this afternoon. Oh, and I don't have any money to pay the adoption fee and I don't believe in neutering. I haven't had any problems finding great homes for my accidental litters."

Something like that?
lol

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 pm

No, they don't want to spend money on the adoption fee (even though we paid for the dog's neuter, etc) because they "want to buy a bed and some toys" for it.
Um, go to Goodwill, that's why it's there, blankets are like a buck and toys are .50 cents!!

Or "My dog got ran over yesterday and my kids (age 1 and 2)keep crying for it, can we adopt your puppy? We don't have a fenced yard but we always watch the dog when it's outside"

Watch it what, run out into the road??

*sigh*

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:25 pm

The kid who applied did initially say: there's no charge for this, right? I was like "well, yes, to cover the cost of the vet bills."

Him: oh. Well that's ok then.

Uh. Thanks.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:29 pm

lol We decided to tell them the dog is "free" but they have to reimburse the rescue for the monies we spent on it :thumbsup:

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:49 pm

welcome back, Erin. Potential adopters are still idiots lol

We had a dog up for adoption thst is SPECIFICALLY NOT GOOD WITH OTHER MALE DOGS. His ads say this in large bolded letters. And you would not BELIEVE how many inquiries I get who have what? male dogs. One person asked if he would be ok with a male chihuahua. And I told them that depended on how they felt about their chihuahua being a snack. It just annoyed me.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Make sure you check each applicant through the name database at www.pet-abuse.com. If they've been cited or convicted of a crime related to an animal, they'll be in there.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:51 pm

julie64 wrote:Buttons would really love you if you adopted him to a house full of bunnies. lol
roflmao

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:04 pm

Don't you love potential adopters? It always seems like there are 100 crappy ones to every 1 good one you get. I think it is even worse with puppies.

I especially hate it when people want to haggle. at a $150 adoption fee, I'm still losing $ no matter how you look at it: $70/neuter or $85 spay, $40 vaccinations, $40 health check up, we're already at $150 and that still isn't factoring in food and any health issues I might need to address, plus microchipping, and the training each of my dogs receives. I especially like when people want things like military or student discounts, or BOGO. :bully:

Good luck, I hope Buttons finds a good home!

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”