Can anyone in Florida please help me???

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
green machine
Newborn Bully

Can anyone in Florida please help me???

Postby green machine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:40 pm

I have 2 amazing APBT that need a new home. my schedule has drastically changed and I can no longer give them the time and attention they need. This is heart breaking for me. I love them with all my heart but its not fair to them.

I have a male and a female.

Female is Blanca she is deaf. I rescued her at 5 weeks old. she is now almost 8 months old.

the Male is Angus he doesnt have any problems.

I think Blanca might be best going to a shelter first due to a deaf dog needing special training and care.

Can anyone please help me? I refuse to take them to a shelter or just let any ol person adopt them. THey WILL NOT get into the wrong hands,I just wont allow it.

Please help point me in the right direction if you cannot help

Thank you

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:55 pm

Where in Florida are you? People on the forum may know of rescue organizations in your area that you could contact if we know exactly where you are.

janedoeismissing
Addicted to PBF

Postby janedoeismissing » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:11 pm

Owner surrenders aren't allowed, :\ I'm sorry. However I work at the Humane Society of Pinellas....we are "no kill" of adoptable/treatable (no HA dogs) and have a pretty good adoption rate of APBTs.

None of our dogs go to any ole Joe. We have a strict adoption policy.
Owner surrenders by appointment only.

There are also a few rescues in the state you may contact.

green machine
Newborn Bully

Postby green machine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm

I am in Tampa Fl

thank you for the offer but I dont even want them going to a no kill shelter.

janedoeismissing
Addicted to PBF

Postby janedoeismissing » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:16 pm

green machine wrote:

Well signing over your dog to shelter or rescue never guarantees your dog will land in "good" hands.

Unless you re home the dog(s) personally you may have zero say in who they are adopted to.

Best way to have piece of mind is to work through the tough times, with your dogs.

janedoeismissing
Addicted to PBF

Postby janedoeismissing » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:22 pm

janedoeismissing wrote:
green machine wrote:

Well signing over your dog to shelter or rescue never guarantees your dog will land in "good" hands.

Unless you re home the dog(s) personally you may have zero say in who they are adopted to.

Best way to have piece of mind is to work through the to times, with your dogs.

that should read "tough times"*

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:30 pm

This is disappointing. Is hiring a dog walker not an option?

If you've got someone offering to help you, which it looks as though you do, take it. Attempting to re-home a deaf dog is no picnic, and the chances of her making it to adoption at most shelters is next to nill. Even rescues have a tough time finding them homes that are qualified to deal with a non-hearing dog of a breed that already requires experiance. I've got a friend who was "temporarily" fostering a deaf american bulldog and has now had him for a year with two unsuccessful adoptions. What I'm saying is, think long and hard about this decision, and if you still have to go thru with it, take help when its offered!

green machine
Newborn Bully

Postby green machine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey Stormi, Thanks for the input, believe me even thinking about this brings me near tears. You should know that after the many talks we had about these guys. my schedule isnt going to let up for at least a year and i think it is unfair to these little guys.

That is the reason why I dont want Blanca going to any shelter is because of the fact, like you said, they are hard to adopt out. she has issues getting spooked and scared because she cannot hear. Ill see if I can find someone to help, if not Im not sending them to a shelter, I guess they will stay here and Ill do the best I can do for them.

Also, unfortunately hiring a dog walker isnt in the cards.

4her
Matured Bully

Postby 4her » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:55 pm

green machine wrote:Hey Stormi, Thanks for the input, believe me even thinking about this brings me near tears. You should know that after the many talks we had about these guys. my schedule isnt going to let up for at least a year and i think it is unfair to these little guys.

That is the reason why I dont want Blanca going to any shelter is because of the fact, like you said, they are hard to adopt out. she has issues getting spooked and scared because she cannot hear. Ill see if I can find someone to help, if not Im not sending them to a shelter, I guess they will stay here and Ill do the best I can do for them.

Also, unfortunately hiring a dog walker isnt in the cards.

What exactly is the problem? Is it a job? If so there are plenty of people in here with great tips and advice to work around it. I dont really understand what the issue is, sorry im a bit confused..

MPTonyT
Newborn Bully

Postby MPTonyT » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Green Machine from FloridaATV and ATVFolrida.com? if so shoot pics to mptonyt@gmail.com

green machine
Newborn Bully

Postby green machine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 am

Yes my schedule has changed with my job and another obligation that I have for at least the next year.

I hate the thought of losing these guys but being crated for as long as they are isnt fair to them.

They are crated at night. i leave at 6am and they are crated while i am away. i get home around 7-8 at night and they are out with me then back in their crate at 11-12 to sleep again. they just arent getting the time they deserve.

I hated the idea of them being outside dogs and I dont currently have a fence up for them. however i do have some farm wire fencing i can put up that is about 4-5 feet high( im not sure if its high enough) I live on a main road so it scares me that they could jump the fence and get into the road while i am away. does anyone have any suggestions?

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm

No fencing will not work. All of mine, even the little stature ones can easily leap over a 6 foot stockade fence with no effort.
There are some secure kennels (See I think it is Red's history I think it is her set up that is really awesome)
But in Florida heat you are going to have to provide some dang good cool cover.

Sadly, this is why I am getting out of rescue. Stories and dogs like yours, nice as can be has lead some of us resuce people to throw our hands up and literally give up.

Shelters are FULL of dogs, pit bull surrenders usually are dead before the owners even get to their cars, as most states do not have a "hold" law on owner surrenders so they are the first to die.
No kill shelters house dogs forever that just dont get adopted. its a damn sad life.

Dogs that are deaf or have some issues are not easy to adopt out, nor are GOOD solid healthy dogs, as the market is FLOODED with dogs, pit bulls, and puppies for sale in every corner.
Yet people refuse to spay neuter, and find a way to provide for their own dogs once getting them,
the average age of dogs dumped into pounds is about 1 -1 1/2 years old , when dogs reach full energy and still are alot of puppy yet.
Good dogs are NOT being adopted. They sit forever and ever waiting in many rescues.

its so sad.

good luck.. sorry to be a debbie downer..but gez.. it never never ends.

Best of the suggestions is find a way to fit your dogs into your life, a year of frustration may be better than shuffled off to be someone elses problem to figure out, and or dead.
I dunno... it just never ends..

green machine
Newborn Bully

Postby green machine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Your making me sound like im a terrible perso. I hate this more than anyone else. Im looked bad at for keeping them kenneled up so long and also looked bad at for trying to find a better solution.

I guess I cant win.

I do have good shelter for them, i have a large dog house that was used by a friend for a mastif/great dane mix. plenty of shelter. but i just dont think i have good enough fencing.

please dont flame me, im doing the best that i can do with the situation I am in.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:57 pm

I don't think anyone is trying to make you into a bad person.It's a tough situation. First no never leave your dogs outside while you are working. If you had a good kennel system, then that would be differant.

Do your dogs have to sleep in their crates at night? Do you have a friend or family member that could pop by to let them out during the day?

Right now there are just too many dogs and not enough places for them to go. I really hope this works out for you.

green machine
Newborn Bully

Postby green machine » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks Julie It feels like I have exhausted all of my possibilities. I cant have anyone come by during the day, I have tried finding someone. And they do need to be crated at night because they get into too much stuff if they are left out.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”