Looking for a Permanent (in WA)

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Looking for a Permanent (in WA)

Postby pitbullgrl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 pm

hey everyone,

For those who don't know me my name's Donna and I've been volunteering with a local shelter since I was 15 (I'm 21 now) I got married 9 months ago and since January my husband and I have done foster care for the wenatchee shelter, and also the quincy one. (Fred, in my pic was our first foster, and the only pit bull, still bummed about giving him up but we had found him a great home that we couldn't pass up) we've fostered 6 dogs since then, mostly puppies, and we are now really considering adding a permanent dog to our family. Right now it's just him, me and a cat.

I am posting here because I thought some of you here may know of a dog that would fit in well with us. I don't want to be too picky but the dog must fit here to be fair to it and us.

We want a dog of any of the bully breeds and I mean any, from American Pit Bull Terrier to a french bulldog. My husband would prefer a staffordshire bull terrier or something on the smaller side. but any will be fine.

We still plan to do fostering so the dog must be ok with other dogs, and must be ok with cats as we own one that doesn't mind picking on dogs.

We live in Wenatchee, Wa. So would prefer something close by, or at least in the state of Washington. ( Unless there's a really needing dog in a nearby state) but if there is such a case it would make it harder for us to get to it.

I would prefer a male dog. I just tend to like them better. But a female is perfectly alright.

a good solid temperment is a must. Since we have fosters coming in and out. We plan on having children, and we occassionally have friends over.

we own our house, it's one floor. with a fenced backyard.

We have a fairly busy lifestyle. My husband is the leader for the men's ministry at our church and we have lots of other things going on there. So I would prefer the dog to not have separation problems since there's plenty of evenings we're not at home for a few hours.

But even with a busy life. I am home A LOT. Since I am housewife I am home all day. so plenty of time to spend with the dog. (i wouldn't be able to foster if I didn't have time for it)

Oh, I would also prefer a dog, and not a young puppy. It would be great if he's already housebroken and knows basic commands. But I will consider a dog that is not yet trained. But I still would really like to rescue an older dog since that's always been my heart.

Hope this all makes sense. we just really want to have a dog that's our dog and I know there's many awesome dogs out there that need a home and I wish to provide one with a home.

donna
Last edited by pitbullgrl on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrClean
Adolescent Bully

Postby MrClean » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Have you checked out Bella, our foster:

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=114992

?

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:23 pm

wow she's a nice dog.

Do you think she'd be good with young children?

any experience with cats?

(i did notice the application form for Draw requires adopter to be 25 or older, so that may be an issue as I'm not there yet. But my husband is 31.)

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:44 pm

I would recommend an adult dog that was at least three years old with all of the qualifications you have. You won't know until a dog is an adult if it gets along with other dogs, cats, etc.

And of course you know, separate when home alone and never trust your pit bull not to fight.

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:49 pm

Amy Hendrickson wrote:I would recommend an adult dog that was at least three years old with all of the qualifications you have. You won't know until a dog is an adult if it gets along with other dogs, cats, etc.

And of course you know, separate when home alone and never trust your pit bull not to fight.

thank you. i would much prefer an adult dog anyway, so 3 and above is fine by me. We do have a good size crate and will be purchasing another one in the near future.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:25 pm

contact Violet here, she is in Tacoma WA and has a ton of great dogs for adoption!

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:53 pm

Violet's a good one ....also MsVette is on your side of the state....

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 pm

We have several adult pit bulls. But only one I would feel comfortable placing in a home with cats. And that one is a male. You can certainly take a look at him. :thumbsup: His foster Mom is a member here and would be better able to answer questions about him. The oen I am referring to is Alfred
http://drawrescue.webs.com/adoptabledogs.htm

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Oh oh!!!! We have a foster, he isn't an adult but he is AWESOME!!!

here: http://www.pnwpbr.rescuegroups.org/anim ... ID=1195692

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 pm

oh he definately looks like a good choice. sadly I cannot make it to the pet fair (it says he'll be there), if I have known about that event earlier my husband could have planned for it. let me know how that goes with him. I like what I've read about Pilot.

pitbullgrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby pitbullgrl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:58 pm

violet wrote:We have several adult pit bulls. But only one I would feel comfortable placing in a home with cats. And that one is a male. You can certainly take a look at him. :thumbsup: His foster Mom is a member here and would be better able to answer questions about him. The oen I am referring to is Alfred
http://drawrescue.webs.com/adoptabledogs.htm

he has caught my attention too, but would you know if he'd be alright with young puppies that I may bring home to foster from time to time. the site said "He has some dominance with other dogs so should be an only dog or with a compatible female." so that may not work out.

Ellena
Bully Ambassador

Postby Ellena » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:46 am

rambler72 wrote:Oh oh!!!! We have a foster, he isn't an adult but he is AWESOME!!!

here: http://www.pnwpbr.rescuegroups.org/anim ... ID=1195692

Ok Amber that picture just about made me pee my pants! lol

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 am

lol :inlove:

molucass
Forum Junky

Postby molucass » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:22 pm

Pilot is so cute!
I love the video of him in the tub on his page.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”