Long range adoption a good idea?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
concept
Adolescent Bully

Long range adoption a good idea?

Postby concept » Wed May 20, 2009 4:19 pm

I was looking on pet finder for a dog to adopt and/or foster. One that i really like and would like to meet with is far away, about 6-8 hours. Do rescues frown on long range adoption's?

I dont mind driving back and forth to meet her, and have koal meet her to see if they are a good fit. But I dont know the best way to approach them. Is it bad to ask for another picture of her? I really dont care what she looks like, however, I really love bullys and ridgebacks. But I dont know if its rude to ask them for another picture just to if she is really mixed, or if they are just saying this to limit some of the "fear" people have about adopting a bully.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=10157893

TheBowie
Newborn Bully

Postby TheBowie » Wed May 20, 2009 4:41 pm

I'm in Virginia and adopted one dog from Indiana and another from Tennessee. I think it will depend on the rescue and how diligent they are in doing home checks as well as your own experience, in this case with bully breeds. For the pit bull from Indiana, I think my experience probably sold the rescue on me and not doing a home check. For the boston mix from Tennessee....they were a small rural rescue and I'm not sure they would have done a home check if I lived down the road.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Wed May 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Depends on the rescue, most will state if they have in-state or distance restrictions. For instance I live in Northern MN, several bully breed rescues in the Twin Cities will only adopt within 60 miles or so, one was fine with longer distance but I ended up adopting from a WI humane society about 7 hours away. We brought our other dog, did a meet and greet and took him home.
BTW, I highly doubt that dog is mixed with anything much less RR which are extremely rare, I would bet they are saying that breed due to coloration because I've gotten that response to my tan boy as well. They are guessing at breed, no one can know for sure since dogs don't often come in with papers and "mix" sounds better for adoption purposes.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Re: Long range adoption a good idea?

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed May 20, 2009 6:15 pm

concept wrote:I was looking on pet finder for a dog to adopt and/or foster. One that i really like and would like to meet with is far away, about 6-8 hours. Do rescues frown on long range adoption's?

I dont mind driving back and forth to meet her, and have koal meet her to see if they are a good fit. But I dont know the best way to approach them. Is it bad to ask for another picture of her? I really dont care what she looks like, however, I really love bullys and ridgebacks. But I dont know if its rude to ask them for another picture just to if she is really mixed, or if they are just saying this to limit some of the "fear" people have about adopting a bully.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=10157893

She doesn't look like a mix, she looks like a pit bull

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed May 20, 2009 6:57 pm

I think it really depends on the rescue, the dog in question, and the adopter. Sometimes the best home for a certain dog is a long ways away.

I don't think it would be rude to ask for more pics. You want to have as many questions answered as possible before you make that drive. For that matter ask as many questions as you want before hand, that way if she has some quirk you don't feel you can handle you don't waste your drive.

Good Luck!

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Wed May 20, 2009 7:00 pm

I've done long distance adoptions and been on the receiving end of adopting a dog from a distance (Auds, thank you yet again Robin!). Ask, ask, ask and ask more questions, get refs', have another rescue and maybe a vet tech or a dog person (agility, obed., etc.) do a homecheck, pull property records, google earth them... do it all and pull a background check. Just opinion. They should be willing - I was. Still am.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”