Fila Brasileiro needs rescue

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Fila Brasileiro needs rescue

Postby HugABull1 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 am

There's a gorgeous 3 year old male Fila (fawn) in need of rescue. He's been in a small shelter for 6 months, and needs out.

This boy is everything a Fila should be - all business with strangers, gentle and sweet with people he knows. Good with other dogs and good with cats, knows basic obedience commands, housebroken, and not a tank on leash. Full history available to whomever takes him on.

He's about 150lbs, could stand to gain 10-15 pounds.

This is not a dog that HugABull can take or rep, as, being a guardian breed, he's very different from a Pit Bull. This dog WILL bite a stranger, which is expected for the breed, and has a bite record, from a time when his previous owner was irresponsible with him. However, he is not unstable, he will tolerate strangers that are "introduced" by familiar people (I got to pet him today once the ACO he knows stood beside me), and loves the people he knows.

I hate to see any dog suffering because of it's breed, and that's what's happening in this case. A proper Fila takes a specific type of owner, and adoption prospects straight from a rural shelter are pretty much nonexistent. The shelter in question has reached out to rescue and breed clubs and explored all options - no takers. Sadly, if they cannot find an option for him very soon, he will need to be put down. Life in a kennel without end in sight is not a life :frown:

I cannot be clear enough - this is not a watered-down cute and fuzzy giant who just looks like a mastiff - this boy is the real thing, and not for a novice who just wants a big bad-looking dog.

He is located in BC's Lower Mainland. For a reputable rescue or the right individual (with references!) transport could be arranged.

If you're interested, please pm me or shoot me an email at danielle @ hugabull.com

Serious inquiries only please.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:48 am

oh, wanted to add, this boy is, of course, neutered :))

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Thu May 28, 2009 6:11 am

Oh, so sad to see Fila's showing up in rescue, love the breed but too much dog for most people. Is this crossposted on any mastiff boards? Any pics of him?

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:56 am

Too be honest it has been awhile since I have used them but here is Fila Rescue if you havent already contacted them. The really do know the breed I must say that.

http://www.filarescue.org/

Good luck ! We had a handfull of Filas come through our program while I was in Tucson, I was happy to send them on to people with more experience !

I sent one to a group in California as well...........let me see if I can remember which one. I know far away but they may have contacts.

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Thu May 28, 2009 10:30 am

Hugable1,,,you are not kidding,,,,about this being a guardian breed! I have a friend who has one,,,she is a DOLL! But,,,,she has some bites under her belt (well deserved bites,,,he lives in a neighborhood that constitutes having a guard dog,,,she did her job when his house had been broken into). When I first met her, I was told not to look directly at her until she checked me out,,,,oh did she check me out, everything was on her terms, ,but once we got to know each other what a love! A HUGE bundle of love.

Not a dog for just anyone...

I pray that you can find a good home for him...

chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby chinsNdobermans » Thu May 28, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm always shocked when I hear about Filas coming through shelters and the like, simply because most people around here don't even know what a Fila is. Love the breed - I don't think I'd ever own one, but they're beautiful and very good at what they were bred to do.

Best wishes for this guy.

Sweet72947
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Sweet72947 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Just to clarify one thing, it is NOT expected of this breed to bite a stranger for no reason! A proper Fila is imposing to be sure, but they are not given to indiscriminate aggression. Some people would have you believe that they are supposed to eat everyone not the owner, but this is simply untrue. Properly socialized, they are sure and steady, and will not act without careful consideration. Heck, I met one who had not been properly socialized (I was part of a leg to transfer the dog across a few states) and she bonded to my friend and did NOT like me and was quite clear about it, but did not bite me once, even though she had ample opportunity.

They are an extremely intelligent and versatile breed. You are correct that they need a person who knows what they are doing with guardian breeds, preferably a person who knows something about cats, as they are rather a lot like large felines. They also NEED family. I can't imagine what six months in a shelter without family has done to that poor dog.

I am PMing someone who has contacts in the Fila world your information, hopefully she will be able to help.

HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Postby HugABull1 » Sat May 30, 2009 2:01 am

sweet - thanks for looking into your contact for this boy.

To clarify, this boy will not randomly bite people, but, unlike a sound Pit Bull, will bite under the "right" conditions. He's been well-socialized and is gentle and friendly with people he knows (shelter staff). I simply feel it's important to stress that this IS a guardian breed, with a strong guarding instinct, and that territorial and protection aggression are expected and "normal". This isn't an easy-peasie dog for a novice dog owner. Further, I find a lot of Pit Bull enthusiasts also enjoy mastiffs, but seem to expect mastiffs to behave like big Pit Bulls (shelter staff often seem to expect the same) - they're not the same thing at all. They share some ancestry, sure, and have some similar traits, but overall they're very different dogs. Being a good Pit Bull owner doesn't mean one is ready to be a mastiff owner :)

Here are a few pics:

chinsNdobermans
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby chinsNdobermans » Sat May 30, 2009 10:28 pm

OMG he's beautiful. :inlove:

Sweet72947
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Sweet72947 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 pm

He's a beautiful boy!

My friend is talking to her friends trying to find someone for this dog, but there's just such a shortage of intelligent people who can properly handle this breed. :/

Pitless2208
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Pitless2208 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 am

any updates on this boy?

suzi
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby suzi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:04 pm

x 2!

Sweet72947
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Sweet72947 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:08 am

Well, a search on Petfinder reveals that he is still listed on Chilliwack Animal Control's website, so I guess he's still available.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=12759989

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Re: Fila Brasileiro needs rescue

Postby BigBadPibbul » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:10 pm

OMG!!! :inlove: Is he a no to homes with kids because of his size or is he a no for kids because he honestly doesn't do well with them?

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”