Foster Needed in BC

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
HugABull1
www.HugABull.com

Foster Needed in BC

Postby HugABull1 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:16 pm

Goldie is the beautiful mum to the litter of pups Hug has just placed. As usual, it's easy to find homes for cute little puppies, but much harder to find a spot for momma dog. Personally, I don't get it - puppies poo & pee everywhere and chew everything in sight - give me a grownup dog any day!

Goldie is a pit/mastiff cross, but all bullie in personality. Sweet and friendly with people, Goldie is good with cats, but needs a lot of work with other dogs. She's not reactive, but at this point is not good with other dogs. However, we've seen her make huge progress (she now does friendly greetings through a fence), and I suspect with time and training she'll work her way from dog aggressive towards dog selective, or even dog tolerant.

Goldie's dog aggression is highly manageable, as she is incredibly ball-focussed and will ignore anything if you have a tennis ball. I've had her onleash around other dogs without issue, as long as they stay out of her space.

Goldie is mannerly (doesn't pull on leash, jump up, or mouth), but doesn't know any basic commands yet. I'm going to be working with her (in the shelter) on clicker training, so hopefully we can get started on that while she's waiting for her foster home.

Goldie is being treated for Demodex mange, and has a long history of being neglected, so she really needs a foster home to rest up in.

The ideal foster home for Goldie will be someone who has no other dogs, or has the ability to keep the dogs separate and work on slow, careful introductions. Goldie's foster family will need to be prepared to work on training, and to make sure that Goldie's dog/dog experiences from this point on are all positive. They'll also need to be prepared to foster her for at least a couple months, as she gets over the mange.

Pics and video of the beautiful lady attached :)

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”