Working dog prospect

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Working dog prospect

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:31 pm

Pulled an awesome dog today. I went to look at another dog but she wasn't quite what we had in mind. He caught my eye and his time was up. He's a really small boy - 35 lbs or so, totally a "terrier type" APBT. He's got amazing focus with the flirt pole, the tug toy and frankly any stick he can leap up and try to catch. Even with a puppy biting his ears, back and neck, his concentration could not be broken.

We had to stop play when he bit through his tongue or his lips. His mouth was just dripping blood but he was not going to quit. Had to actually throw the flirt pole over the fence. Zero interest in balls (maybe he just doesn't know what they are yet).

He temperament tested perfectly, I could probably hang him upside down by his back legs. He's just Great. If you know of anyone looking for a dog with this amount of drive and focus, please point them in my direction.

Dog friendly so far, even with boys.

I took videos today of him with out makeshift flirt pole but can't figure out how to post them.

aaron kahn
Bully Ambassador

Re: Working dog prospect

Postby aaron kahn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 pm

wow!

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:02 pm

wow is right!! a total looker, lovely size and would likely be a great working prospect... :bowdown: to you for rescuing him when his time was up.... hoping for the perfect home to come along.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:34 pm

OOhh la la! :inlove: Good Luck with him!

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 am

oh damn, he sounds perfect!!!! but, I have no room...ugghhh!! I have friend that's looking for a working prospect, I am going to send her to this thread. Good luck!!!

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 pm

It's such a struggle not to keep him. I may not win! He reminds me so much of my girl when she was younger but he doesn't have that over the top prey drive she had. He's like her, only better. She would play tug until her gums would bleed but then she's not terribly bright and wants to kill all small fuzzy things. She had the body and energy, just not much upstairs.

I do think he might be a mix but I'm not totally sure. His coat is just a bit too long and silky and his ears are really tiny - and I mean really tiny with small ear canals. Almost like that part of his head stopped growing when he was a puppy.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to stop grabbing my hand? When he leaps for the pole, he comes close to where i've got a grip and a couple of times he got me. Got to work on leave it or drop it too. You almost need a stick to pry it out of his mouth when you are ready to stop.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 pm

I love this dog!

caped dog
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby caped dog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:10 pm

EVERY rescue post should start with "I pulled an awesome dog today". Oh and KEEP KEEP KEEP

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:56 am

looks like a keeper to me.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:38 pm

The only thing keeping me from keeping him is the fear that I won't do him justice and he needs better than me. I'm only human and his drive is just over the top. I'm hoping that he won't be too much for me and that I will let him down.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Haha I love how the black dog is just like, do de do de do... oh! what's over here? ::sniff::sniff::sniff::

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”