Would you overlook this to rehome a dog?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Would you overlook this to rehome a dog?

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 am

This woman is interested in adopting one of my mom's foster dogs (Levi). She is even willing to work with him on his habit of marking, which other interested parties have turned away because of. It's an issue I would typically turn someone down for, it's what I've learned from other adoption councelors. However, being in the councelor position now, I'm torn on this issue.

The worst thing I could find about her was that she gave away her Bloodhound. It was an inside/outside dog (outside while she was at work) and the dog would dig out, then it started jumping the fence. She realizes it's because the dog was bored and she felt a home with someone there more would be more suitable for the dog. She works 9-5. She also has a 14 year old Shih Tzu she adopted 9 years ago from Shih Tzu rescue.

I'm kinda torn on the issue. That's typically a home I would say no to, but I talked it over with my mom and we both agreed that if that's the worst thing I could find, we could overlook it considering it's probably a better home then he's in now where he's crating too long and competeing with several other fosters for attention. The woman regrets having done it, but she still feels it was in the best interest of this particular dog and she stays in contact with the people.

Pluse, Levi would get to go on the road with her trucker fiance sometimes. I personally don't have a problem with that though.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

MikeInTacoma

Re: Would you overlook this to rehome a dog?

Postby MikeInTacoma » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 am

So, the problem is she found a better home for her bored escape artist Bloodhound?

I'm not a rescuer, so my opinion shouldn't carry much weight. But I'd allow the adoption, if and only if her plan for dealing with the marking sounds good, and her plan for dealing with any possible future bored escape artist tendencies sounds good. And (of course) she agrees to bring the dog back to you if it's not working out for whatever reason.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:12 am

Maybe 2-3yrs. ago I'd have been a bit pickier but right now our adoptions are so slow, I've settled for some things I might not have, again, 3yrs. ago.
As long as you discussed it thoroughly with her and are certain it won't happen again, and also I'm sure you chip the dogs and have a contract stating they'll bring it back to you before dumping it, I'd go for it. :dunno:

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:13 am

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 am

I guess the big question would be if she didn't have the time or resources to deal with her bored bloodhound, is she going to be able to handle this dog (especially if its a high-energy bully)? If/when behavior problems arise, what will be her plan of action?

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 am

msvette2u wrote:Maybe 2-3yrs. ago I'd have been a bit pickier but right now our adoptions are so slow, I've settled for some things I might not have, again, 3yrs. ago.
As long as you discussed it thoroughly with her and are certain it won't happen again, and also I'm sure you chip the dogs and have a contract stating they'll bring it back to you before dumping it, I'd go for it. :dunno:

He's chipped and yes, there is a contract and I explained in detail that he is to come back no matter what, no matter when. I'm finding I'm having to change my standards a bit as well. I won't lower them, just tweek a little. I have to take into consideration the situation the dogs are in (no fenced yard, crated too much, not enough attention for each foster) and compare it to the life they could be living with a new home.

We had a great adoption in May, but before that, we hadn't had an adoption in a year.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:28 am

Stormi wrote:I guess the big question would be if she didn't have the time or resources to deal with her bored bloodhound, is she going to be able to handle this dog (especially if its a high-energy bully)? If/when behavior problems arise, what will be her plan of action?

He's not a bully breed, he's a JRT/Pug mix. He is young with lots of energy (not hyper like most JRTs though), but she has a 1/2 acre yard and I explained to her that he will need daily or every other day walks for exercise because going out to the backyard is as much exercise and getting up and going to the bathroom, though it is way more than he gets now. She also has grandkids over every weekend to play with him.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:46 am

JRTs are notorious diggers. What has she done to ensure he won't dig out?

I would consider this home (in the current rescue climate and considering the dog in question). Like it or not sometimes people do re-home dogs for reasons we might not agree with, but are actually in the best interest of the dog. If she was responsible enough to make sure she found the dog s suitable home and still is in contact with the new owners I'd say she has done a lot more than most people would have.

It is touchy. Adoptions have been way down, and harder to place dogs (like one who marks) have been nearly impossible to place.

If you otherwise feel comfortable with her, and since he is not a bully breed: I wouldn't discourage you from giving her a chance. I would however really stress that the dog is to come back to you NO MATTER WHAT, she is not to re-home him herself. I would also make myself available to help if she needs it. It sounds like the dogs current situation is not the most wonderful and this home would be a step up. And she has had the other dog for 9yrs, that's a long time.

No pressure, do what you know is best for this dog. It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row.

Stormi
Addicted to PBF

Postby Stormi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:54 am

Pit Chick wrote:
He's not a bully breed, he's a JRT/Pug mix. He is young with lots of energy (not hyper like most JRTs though), but she has a 1/2 acre yard and I explained to her that he will need daily or every other day walks for exercise because going out to the backyard is as much exercise and getting up and going to the bathroom, though it is way more than he gets now. She also has grandkids over every weekend to play with him.

I suppose that even raises another question. Does she plan to supervise the grandkids and the dog while they are together? What is her plan if she must step out for a moment?

JRT/Pug is still a reasonably high energy dog. If she's willing to commit to daily exercise, care, training, ect, then it might be a decent home. I'd probably be asking her very specific questions though reguarding all of these.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:07 pm

Yes, I haven't lowered my standards but there's a few things I've "overlooked", as you said, such as maybe, they are gone 8 full hrs (still, it'sn an adult dog) whereas I may have insisted they do a dog day care, or have a friend come by during the day, etc.
I still make those suggestions but if it's a good home overall with just a few minor details, I have been letting the dogs go - as you said, adoptions are not only slow, there's still dogs waiting to come here.
And even our tiny ones aren't getting adopted as quickly as a few years ago, it's just discouraging so when a suitable home pops up, I simply advise on things I may have not let the dog go to before.
Of course, keep in close contact with this gal the first few weeks/months and ensure things are staying positive :)
Good luck to the little guy.
I'm sorry your adoptions are down so low.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:35 pm

How did she come about to acquire the bloodhound? Then I would want to know if it was her choice, why she choose that breed? That's not typically a type of dog that someone who enjoys a shi tzu is it? I'd want to know the circumstances, how she found it a home, was it altered, did she check on the dog or did she just give it away in the paper intact.

She might have learned but then again, a JRT even mixed can be a far more difficult dog than the one she currently has. They are a lot of dog in a little body and that fools lots and lots of people who end up being very frustrated with their pets and want to give them away.
Last edited by Amy Hendrickson on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PuppyPalace
Adolescent Bully

Postby PuppyPalace » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:40 pm

Where will the Jrt mix be during the day when she is gone and at night when she is home? I like the point about how is she going to make sure this isn't going to happen again. Is there a potential for the JRT to do the same if left outside?

Tanya

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Does she plan to supervise the grandkids and the dog while they are together? What is her plan if she must step out for a moment?

I brought that up and she said she has taught her grandkids how to properly behave around dogs. The youngest is a year old so he/she is still learning of course.

She does plan to enroll Levi in training and I insisted that she do so. He's a good natured dog, but he still needs some obedience training.

How did she come about to acquire the bloodhound? Then I would want to know if it was her choice, why she choose that breed? That's not typically a type of dog that someone who enjoys a chocolate would enjoy is it? I'd want to know the circumstances, how she found it a home, was it altered, did she check on the dog or did she just give it away in the paper intact.

She might have learned but then again, a JRT even mixed can be a far more difficult dog than the one she currently has. They are a lot of dog in a little body and that fools lots and lots of people who end up being very frustrated with their pets and want to give them away.

I didn't ask how she aquired the Bloodhound, but she did say she was AKC registered so I'm guessing from a breeder. She did tell me she had the dog trained for tracking. The dog was spayed and she still checks on her.

Levi doesn't behave like a typical JRT. He leans more toward a Pug in behavior, he's just marked like a JRT. He'll be much easier for her to deal with than the Bloodhound may have been.

Where will the Jrt mix be during the day when she is gone and at night when she is home? I like the point about how is she going to make sure this isn't going to happen again. Is there a potential for the JRT to do the same if left outside?

Crated inside. At night, inside. If she did end up leaving him outside, I don't think Levi would try to escape, but, given the fact that my mom doesn't have a fence, we haven't seen his potential. I had him at my house for a day and I put him with the dog next door to play and he never once tried to escape. But that was only for a day and he had another dog keeping him busy.

I did tell her that she could take Levi for a test drive for a week or two and if by that time she didn't think she could deal with his marking or it just wasn't a good match, she could return him.

4pits sake
Newborn Bully

Postby 4pits sake » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:03 pm

If the only issue is her giving up her Bloodhound because she realised she's not the right home that breed of dog than I think it should not be punished for accepting this. If she gave it up because she just didn't have the time than I would be worried about placing another dog there.
I work mainly with Australian Shepherds and I understand that they are not the right breed for all homes. I curse when people call me to give them up because they didn't know that aussies were high energy dogs, I curse that they didn't do their homework BEFORE getting the dog. Would I say they would never be a good home for a dog...no I'm sure an older dog or a breed that would be more than happy enough to get a walk a couple of times a day would work fine.
The thing is is to match the right dog with the right home.

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:02 am

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. Pending the vet check and home visit, Levi should be going to a new home this weekend. ::crossing fingers::

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”