Thoughts from Rescue people?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
shan79m
Newborn Bully

Thoughts from Rescue people?

Postby shan79m » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm

The "other" side of rescue. I work with the local ACO, and we may have to euthanize for the first time soon. We have done an amazing job of finding rescues for all of our dogs up until now. But we have 2 pitties down there right now. Neither of which is an "easy" dog. Let me start by saying that I have no patience for a pittie with a bite history/human aggression. Make a bad name for all of them, and I don't want to be part and parcle of adopting out a dog with that kind of history, in case of something in the future - more bsl, more headaches, etc.

Tank adopted from a rescue. Introduced to another dog on his own property - Both un-neutered males. The gsd started a fight - Tank became involved - when the man attempted to pry tank's mouth open, Tank accidently got his finger - and then immediately released - but the damage was done. The man needed medical treatment and Tank's "rescue" would not take him back. The dog is not human aggressive, and gets along well with most dogs - but humans should not use fingers as break sticks... Now, Tank has a "bite" history, and few rescues will even consider him.

Oscar - found as a stray. Accepted into a shelter nearby. Started to get a little amped from lack of exercise. He started playing with sleeves and jeans, some people thought it was cute. Until he grabbed the wrong volunteers jeans - she panicked, Oscar thought she was playing - he left a small abrasion on her leg from playing tug with the pant leg. He got a quarantine and kicked out of the shelter, and a bite history. I love this dog. Total love bug. But plays rough - needs some exercise and some manners. If walked on a head halter, and frequently redirected to appropriate chew/tug toys, he's awesome. I go to the kennel, and he comes and leans on the run to have that spot under the eary, but the cheek rubbed..... If I had room, but truly I don't. With a still recuperating Jake and a high maintenance pit bull already, I cannot handle another.

We may have to decide to let them go soon. It is unfair to ask them to continue to live in a shelter environment, with no hope of anything else. Both have been there for several months already. We have checked with all kinds of rescues, none will take... I hate to say goodbye, but I refuse to send them somewhere I don't know with people I don't know either. Both dogs have had chocolate lives, and are now paying the price for crappy humans, I don't want to take a chance that could continue..

And. honestly, I'm a little pissed at the two rescues. These dogs were their property and their responsibility. It should be THEIR responsibility to make these decisions and hold them. Not mine.

I'm not really looking for anything here, just venting, I guess...

Sweet72947
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Re: Thoughts from Rescue people?

Postby Sweet72947 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 pm

(hug)

I know how you feel. Some rescues just don't want to make those decisions themselves. Much easier to just pawn them off on someone else. If those dogs do end up being euthanized, know that you've done the humane thing. I wish the rescue I volunteer for would make these decisions. They will take any dog back no matter what its done, but HA dogs get to live there forever. For some reason they think life in a kennel is better than no life at all, but you and I both know that life in a kennel IS no life at all! At the rescue we have a male APBT who is very DA. He is ok on leash unless another dog stares at him or snarks at him, and then ITS ON. This dog is 8 years old, and also hates cats. You can imagine how many people we have lined up to adopt a senior DA APBT who needs to be an only pet. :sad: He is very, very good with all ages of humans. He stresses himself out like crazy in that run, all panting and barking and jumping and eyes bugging out. Its highly doubtful he'll ever get adopted. Although he'll eventually be moved to the long term dog cottages (sheds with AC/beds/pens around them) which will be a little bit better.

I rambled a bit there too. :tongue:

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:18 pm

I feel your agony, I truly do as Ive been in rescue for almost 7 years now and have pretty much seen it all. All I can offer you is hugs and positive thoughts. I have trouble taking this advice myself, but I will pass it on "you cant save them all".

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:40 pm

:hug:
I'm sorry these rescues failed them. Rescue is hard, making decisions about who gets to live and die is hard, too bad the people who were supposed to be helping these guys couldn't buck up and either help them or do what needs to be done.

I have never had an easy euth. Even when they are vicious (and I've dealt with some doosies) in a way it still sucks.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 pm

It doesn't even sound like they were really trying to bite people though, that's what's bugging me.

shan79m
Newborn Bully

Postby shan79m » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:42 pm

dogs4jen wrote:It doesn't even sound like they were really trying to bite people though, that's what's bugging me.

I agree. We wouldn't even look for rescue if I thought either dog was in the least HA. However, with the number of pit bulls with NO bite history, no rescue is willing to take a chance on a dog with even a limited or "accidental" bit history. Thats what sucks for these guys. They have been let down repeatedly by the humans who were supposed to protect them.

Thanks for all the sympathies guys. I know I can't save them all, and would rather see them humanely euthed than end up in the wrong hands, but we are allowed to adopt out dogs directly from the Animal Control kennel, we can only work with rescues willing to pull. And so far none are willing to pull these guys.

lipshipsattitude
Bully Ambassador

Postby lipshipsattitude » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Ah that stinks.
I would hate to have to make such decisions but in retrospect you cant save them all.
Humans made these dogs the way they are, even if it was inadvertently and now it is up to another human to end the cycle with these dogs.
The liability is just too much and I think it would be easier to put them down then to deal with the repurcussions of adopting them out adnd having something bad happen.

southern_comfort
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby southern_comfort » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:38 am

They were born and condemned because of the mistakes of man. You have done all that you can to counteract that, but in the end there are too few people can understand and handle these dogs properly. It truly sucks to be an island of reason in a sea of ignorance.

violet
Addicted to PBF

Postby violet » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:12 pm

SHAME on the rescues. Seriously. I would never allow one of my dogs to die in a shelter if it could be helped. (and thus far, it has never happened)

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:52 pm

I'd take them back, probably end up euthanizing them both but I'd take them back. Honestly death is better than a lifetime of abuse and suffering and I don't blame shelters when dogs get put down. Sometimes it happens, I wouldn't have returned them to the shelter to be euth'd, I'd have put on my big girl panties and told the dogs I was sorry, people suck and I'd see them after. In the end, it doesn't matter what really happened, they both have "bite" histories and if asked you can never say that they have never bitten a person - they have, it's documented regardless who is at fault.

However - WTF was a dog doing adopted out intact??? Seriously???? WTF!! What responsible rescue would consider adopting out an intact dog? That is not a responsible rescue, they should not be pulling this breed. Clearly they don't understand the breed or even grasp the responsibility. Rescues need to clean up their own messes.

Death is not the enemy.

shan79m
Newborn Bully

Postby shan79m » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Amy Hendrickson wrote:However - WTF was a dog doing adopted out intact??? Seriously???? WTF!! What responsible rescue would consider adopting out an intact dog? That is not a responsible rescue, they should not be pulling this breed. Clearly they don't understand the breed or even grasp the responsibility. Rescues need to clean up their own messes.

Death is not the enemy.

whole other issue, but there are still some rescues around here that adopt on a spay/neuter "contract". And I would have totally agreed with them if they took him back, but didn't want the liability of adopting him out. The fact that they refused to take back/evaluate/acknowledge him, is what got to me. Also, not that it makes it ok, but this is an all breed rescue, not a pit bull specific rescue.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”