Can anyone help this guy?

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Red
Addicted to PBF

Can anyone help this guy?

Postby Red » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:03 am

The story here:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126379

He is intact, young , and probably a pit bull mix of some kind. I just picked him up from the road so not much time to have valuable information about his temperament.Had no problem being handled by me and sought interaction.He showed some shyness around my husband without worrisome reaction of any kind. The poor guy was literally grabbed in the middle of the night by a strange person and thrown into a van so not exactly the ideal meeting. He must be confused and lost. His tail have been amputated at some point. I am pushing my limit as it is and I have nowhere for him to go beside animal control. He has no chance there and they'd hold him for only a few days before he is sent to the Mojave shelter and that is no place for any dog who resemble a pit bull in appearance. I will pay for his neuter and medical care as much as I can but I need a kind soul to foster him and inform me on his temperament til a home is found. I don't have much time and I understand that chances are nobody here can help him but one can only try.

msvette2u

Re: Can anyone help this guy?

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:30 am

How is he with other dogs, Val?
He's very handsome and looks part Boxer.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 am

He does look part Boxer and he has a little under bite. He had his bottom lip up , stuck in a tooth when he heard something earlier and with the coloring and everything he reminded me of Erin's Tucker.I am not sure of how he is with the others dogs, Yvette, not enough to tell you with some reliability anyway. I have just put him outside in one kennels and let Tux out to potty, with me. Despite Tu'x pretending he is a badass with some ridiculous posturing the dog did not react to it.Sneaky is in the kennel next to him him and he is completely ignoring her. He did not react to Tigger either, who checked him out through the kitchen gate and she was very proper.He did mildly growl at Ice but Ice is a dork and did a couple of spins and what was a miserable attempt to play bow, which might have made the dog uncomfortable. He was crying too much last night so I brought him into the kitchen and rearranged the other dogs and after some more crying he settled in and slept for a few hours. Did not touch anything, did not pee or poop, made sure he did that before he came in. He ate but he prefers to eat when I am by him. His first bowl of chicken was untouched til I went into the kennel with him.When I took him out this morning he was excited and wanted to play and he is very goofy running and trying to tuck his butt with those long legs. He is definitely a big pup.

Will take a video of him later and a few more pics. I have e-mailed a couple of rescue groups but I don't hold my breath on that. My husband is trying to see if one of his friends can maybe house the dog but it is just out of desperation.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:21 am

Aww, poor guy. Good luck with him. Fingers crossed for a foster home.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:49 am

I think I could make room for him, if he could get closer to Oregon...maybe take him to a clinic some time today and make sure he's not chipped. It COULD happen. lol

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:37 am

Gosh I want to help so bad but we have too much going on right now.. Check this post - 'crash2009' is looking for a pit bull boxer.... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=125000&p=1673873&hilit=pit+bull+boxer#p1673873

Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kirstan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:10 pm

If you want to send him to E. Or. & they really can take him, I can help pay for transportation and am sure we could get the FABB list to drum up a little cash.

~k.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks a bunch Kirstan. Yvette, he is a big guy so are you sure you would be able to house him? I can't promise that he is going to be fine with your dogs and you are so far that it would be hard for me to take him back if problems arise. Frankly, he seems to seek human interaction more than anything and he is not looking for trouble with my dogs but I have not done an off leash intro just yet.I am going to bring him out with Tigger later and see what happens. I can tell you that he needs human company so to put him in a kennel for long hours might be hard on him. I could drive up to San Francisco, which is a 6 and a half drive up North from here, but we would have to find someone to help with the rest of the transport. It might take time and I don't have that much since I work the next week and I would need to hide him to stay here.If anyone is willing to help please let me know.

I took some videos and he is doing much better with my husband. The stronger reaction he had was to try to pull away when he came back to the van with the shovel in his hand.It was in the dark and my husband did not watch his movements around him and walked into the dog. He is already sitting for food and will take it politely with his mouth. There is some shyness in him and some stress related response that can be seen in his yawning, some shaking off and leaning into my legs. But he recovers fast and is quite responsive to our voice. I have been able to move him around using one of my collars no problem and he walks on leash.He accept paws and mouth handling. He is controlling his jumping even when excited.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Some pictures:

karladaune
Bully Ambassador

Postby karladaune » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:27 pm

he looks well cared for, at least in the pics, I hope he has people trying to find him as desperately as you are trying to save him. :sad:

Boxer mix totally makes sense, especially with his little long docked tail....whatever he is, he is adorable.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:54 pm

I can pitch in a few dollars if needed to help transport him.(ow for what ever else he needs Val?)

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm impressed, you have a good setup there!

This boy sure is lucky to have crossed your path...even if only for a temporary period.

:hug:

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 pm

what a good boy!
what about http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/
http://www.boxer-rescue-la.com/contact.htm

I have seen them take in mixes (including with pit bull), don't know about them other than they are linked to http://www.rescueaboxer.ca/ who do cross border work and adopt to Canada - contact is chantelle@rescueaboxer.ca

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 am

Thanks Nickdawg, I'll try to see if they have room. As of today he still has nowhere to go. He did fantastic with the neighbors who came to see him, their toddler and 8 years old daughter. A couple that was sent from the rescue on base also came to meet him and they fell in love with him. If they did not have a pissy JRT and another smaller dog at home they would have taken him in a heart beat. Too bad, they seemed nice people. The pup does not know what to do with toys,I bought him a couple and he is totally clueless. Spent another night in the house without accidents. All he care about is to to lay down next to whoever is in a room.On a side note, the tail amputation must have been done at home. If a vet did that they did a really crappy job.

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Val, I honestly wish I was closer. My boyfriend and I are honestly looking into fostering, since we only have Dover, and just moved into a larger house.

Any word from the local boxer rescues?
I really want to see this guy get a chance.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”