Is this a possibilty??? Please read...

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???
Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Is this a possibilty??? Please read...

Postby Shay59 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 am

I got this email recently because I had logged my email with the rescue's web site. My son has adopted two pit bulls from them & I have been to the place myself. I thought the rescue was in good condition, all the adoptees are well cared for & looked great. She goes to the local animal shelters to pick up the dogs & evaluates them before adopting them out. The process to adopt was lengthy, needing an application, all contact info, your vet's phone number so she can check on the care of any other dogs you may already have, etc. In other words, I think the rescue is on the up & up.

Is it a normal practice for counties to assess taxes & fines on a rescue? This rescue is located in North Carolina, in Orange County. It's pretty close to a county line so it might be in Person County, but I feel more sure of it being in Orange.

Hi fellow Pit Bull lovers, We are in need of some big help here at Second Chance, Our County has came out and inspected the rescue and while everything was fine with the dogs and their care, They are making us pay taxes on each and every one. They have hit us with a $15,000.00 Fine but are willing to drop all but aproximately $1500.00 of it, I am asking for help from You guys and any one you may know If everyone could just help and contribute a minimum of $20.00 we should be able to pay the fines and remain open, if we dont pay the fines and taxes they are going to shut us down and start taking dogs, where they will end right back up in the same situation from where most of them came. If you cant afford to donate maybe you can foster one of these sweet hearts. Please Help Us We are really counting on you this time as we have done so much and came so far we dont want to lose this battle & we can not win it alone, if we lose the animals lose. We can accept donations by credit card via Google on the Donations Page.

Thank You and hug your babies for me
Kindest Regards,
secondchancepitbullrescue
http://secondchancepitbullrescue.webs.com/

To unsubscribe from these mailings, click here: Please unsubscribe me

Poohs Dad
Matured Bully

Re: Is this a possibilty??? Please read...

Postby Poohs Dad » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:56 am

They are making us pay taxes on each and every one.
[/quote]

I don't know anything at all about N. Carolina. But it has always been my understanding that "taxes" are levied on things of value...so what is the value of an abandoned dog and how is it determined? This sounds sketchy

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 am

That's sort of what I was wondering about. Maybe she was misundertanding what they told her or I'm misunderstanding her. I thought a rescue would be non-profit & tax exempt. One possibility is she hasn't filed for tax exempt status. Another would be they aren't levying taxes but maybe fines for too many dogs or something like that.

I was hoping somebody in rescue could help explain the different possibilities.

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:56 am

This sounds sketchy. Maybe they are in trouble because they aren't yet a 501 yet are asking for donations and not paying taxes? Not sure but this sounds not right. I would not give any money until you knew exactly what was going on.

I do not know of any regulatory agency that will fine and then say oh, we'll take a mere fraction of what you owe instead. This might not be a scam but it sounds fishy.

Shay59
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shay59 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 am

Amy, I sent a pm to you.

I feel like Amy said. It may not be a scam but it sure is sketchy. I'd like more information on it before I send anything to help her out.

Return to “Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs”