2 1/2 year old bully mix looking for a good home.

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

2 1/2 year old bully mix looking for a good home.

Postby bennyfocus » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 am

2 1/2 year old lab pitbull up to date on all shots spayed 55lbs.

2 months ago i was at a local shelter with a friend helping him look for a dog when we found a 2 year old lab pitbull mix. I talked him into giving her a chance only to find out she was not up for adoption because the spca had a stray pitbull policy that gave her 3 days to be claimed by an owner or be put down never to be given a chance for adoption. I went back on the 3rd day and she was still there so i made up a BS story and managed to get her out claiming i recently adopted her from craigslist but she ran away on the way home at a pitstop and i had yet to have a chance to license her. The spca took the story and released her to me. Then when i tried to give her to my friend he said his wife would not let him have her because she was a pitbull so now i have this dog i rescued that i cannot keep that im trying to find a good home for.

I took her to my vet asap and had her brought up to date on all shots had her micro chiped and spayed thinking i could get her a good home quick as she is a very pretty and well behaved dog. House broken and knows basic commands decent with other dogs but does have some food aggresion that i have managed to get better. Well now its been 2 months and she has been staying with my ex whos family now says the dog needs gone and i have been living with my grandmother to keep her company as she lives alone and she can not handle both dogs ( I have a 2 1/2 year old brindle pit) so keeping her here is not an option. I have asked hundreds of customers at my work posted on every fourm im a member of responded to dog wanted ads and texted everyone in my phone to no avail. All i wanted was to do a good thing and keep this wonderful dog from being put down but Im almost out of options, I dont know what im going to do with her as she is pretty much not welcome anywhere and i dont know why. She is a great well behaved dog but no one wants her ! I dont want to put her back in the spca as they make it nearly impossible for a pitbull to be adopted and she will end up being put down after being scared and abandoned for a month. I would love to find her the loving caring home she deserves but the few people who seemed interested now will no longer respond to email or phone calls.

Update from original copy and paste text above.

Anyone that read my intro realizes i have had her way longer than what i was aloud to. Since my first post i contacted 3 spca's and a no kill and they are all full, i have had 3 more people ignore requests to meet her and life in my ex's house has become a war zone over this dog her mom is ready to kick her and the dog out. I thought i was doing the right thing rescuing this dog but it seems like no matter what i try I will never find her a home. I paid alot of money to get her up to date on shots micro chiped I even have a crate leash and collar im giving with her and i will pay to have the micro chip switched over to a new owner. ALL I WANT IS A GOOD HOME ! The only few negatives of this poor pooch are her food aggression around other dogs which is manageable with a responsible owner, and she crys for awhile after being crated if you try to leave. She has not bitten any one and she has not shown any human aggresion she has had one accident in the house but that was my fault when i switched her dog food. Even if you think you can give her a good home if it does not work out after a few days I will take her back and keep trying to find a good home.
Please help me finish finding this dog a forever home.

bennyfocus
Newborn Bully

Re: 2 1/2 year old bully mix looking for a good home.

Postby ProudMommy77 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 pm

where exactly in PA are you located, I know a few people in that work in the shelters, and could ask around if they have any open spots for foster care.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby bennyfocus » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 am

Im In the town of Lock Haven its right between Williamsport and State College.
bennyfocus
Newborn Bully

Postby bennyfocus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:55 pm

anyone ?
bennyfocus
Newborn Bully

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:15 am

I am going to email a couple of people I know a hour south of me, and see if they have any contacts in your area, that could help you out.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby bennyfocus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks its greatly appriciated. I just cant believe how quickly everyone thats interested seems to change their mind as soon as the words pitbull ar mentioned. Maybe i should just introduce her as a lab terrier mix haha.
bennyfocus
Newborn Bully

Postby heartbullies » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:52 pm

It IS hard to find homes for them-- people who want a pit bull generally want a purebred-appearing dog with a typical pit bull temperament, and people who want a mutt generally don't want a pit mix.

Just to buy some more time, would it be possible to crate-rotate your dogs in your current living situation? Would they each be able to get the care and exercise they needed without overwhelming your family?

Another idea to gain more exposure-- see if there are any cheap local dog obedience classes, or free bully-friendly classes, bully-centric parades, or publicity events. Getting her some good manners out and about in the real world will increase her adoptability and appeal, and showing off her good manners and stable, friendly, confident personality can only help, not hurt.

Several dogs from the shelter I work at, many of them mixes including pit mixes, participated in a local "mutt strut" event and now, a month afterwards, ALL of them have been adopted!

Thank you so much for helping this girl and getting her spayed and chipped. I'd keep the chip in your name, that way in case she ever gets out and winds up in a shelter again, at least you can be contacted. Many rescues do this-- they stay as primary contact on the chip, or sometimes the secondary contact, generally because they have an agreement to always take back into their program any dogs they've adopted out.
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 am

ok, so I have a friend in the Harrisburg area, that works with a fairly large resuce, however, they don't have any spots open, but would be more than happy to cross post her for you. If you could just PM a little bio, and some pics, and your personal email address so the intersted parties could contact you that would be great. That is if you are interested in going this route, if she hasn't already been placed.
ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby bennyfocus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:18 am

I think my ex found someone to foster her for awhile. That and i guess she really wants to keep her forever... I will keep updating. Right now I'm not sure whats going on my ex has had her for awhile.
bennyfocus
Newborn Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs