Fosters Needed in S. FL | EMERGENCY *PICS!!*

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Fosters Needed in S. FL | EMERGENCY *PICS!!*

Postby Melody » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Hey PBF,

I'm in dire need of foster homes in South FL that can take in adult pit bulls. I got an email about a BYB in Broward that has 30+ pit bulls/American Bullies at his home, and AC was called in and visited him yesterday. I went there last night with two of my rescue volunteers and the place is a dump, to put it nicely. Ever seen the shows on Animal Planet that show hoarders? This is how this guy and these dogs are living. He has over a dozen dogs living in crates in his car port, he had two dogs in a "breeding/sex" room in the house, another three large females in his Florida room another 15+ dogs in the back yard, all on heavy chains or kennels (not crates, but actual kennels). I'd say of all of the dogs, only about a 1/2 dozen had water bowls. One male dog has kennel cough and is chained VERY close to three young puppies. I tried desperately to get the puppies, but he said he had buyers for them. We convinced him to allow us to take two females last night. We had to agree that we would bring both girls back during their next heat cycle for a breeding due to their "special" bloodlines. I've already scheduled their spays for next week. This guy is convinced that some people that "co-own" some of the dogs will be coming during the weekend to get them. My guess is that they are stashing them away for him until this whole thing blows over, and then he'll get them back. I need as many dogs out of there as possible and FAST!!

All dogs on his property are UKC papered dog, most of them are RE lines. The dogs are VERY dog and people friendly, despite living their lives on chains and in kennels.

I need fosters immediately, if you can help, I'd grately appreciate it. AC has given this guy only a few days to get the dogs out before they are all confiscated and destroyed. This are NOT bad dogs!!! One of the dogs we got last night is doing excellent with the resident dogs AND cats, so so so sweet, just melts into a puddle when you touch her. She's about an 80 lb female, blue brindle with a battle crop (if you can call it that) - she has NO ears. We took pictures, but I loaned my camera to my volunteers who went back down there today to help bathe the dogs, clean kennels, as well as temperament test and inventory everyone.

I am absolutely begging for help. Please call me at 1-888-PIT-RESQ (yes, that's really my #) or 561-373-3882 if you can help.

Thank you so much, and pictures to follow when I get my camera back.

Melody Owens
Ethical Bull Breed Rescue & Referral of FL, Inc.
Last edited by Melody on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melody
Forum Junky

Re: Fosters Needed in S. FL | EMERGENCY

Postby Melody » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:39 am

Here's some pictures of the first two dogs we got on Friday. We just picked up another four puppies last night. The only male and the tri-color female went in for their spay/neuter this morning.

Peanut, approx. 5 yrs old, blue brindle, 80+ lbs. Horrible battle crop. She is a total mush, gets along with dogs and cats, is not housebroken, but completely crate trained. She needs a dental badly and has a skin tag on her rear leg which will be removed when she's spayed (hopefully) this week. She is not an athletic dog, and would make an excellent therapy dog due to her calm, sweet demeanor. He said she was of Razors Edge lines, but he didn't have her papers there, but said he would let me know when he got them.

Omega, approximately 1.5 yrs old. Black/seal, 60+ lbs. Natural ears, would be an excellent agility dog. This girl needs a job to do. Very athletic and will need an active family/home. Good with dogs, unknown about cats, not housebroken, but completely crate trained. This is one of his own dogs, he bred her mother, Diamond. Omega's brother Rumble remains at the home.

Sorry the pictures aren't great. It was late and my batteries died shortly after! I'm off to get pictures of the two puppies here with me now.

There's still quite a few dogs left at the breeders home, he's reluctant to let a lot of them go. I'm determined to get this sweet girl, Montana, who is probably the most amazing dog I've ever met.

She's barely two years old, already had one litter, and he has another one planned for her. I'm trying desperately to get him to release her to me. When I say I'm head over heels in love with her, I couldn't mean it any more. She's truly amazing. That couch is probably the cleanest spot in his house, BTW. I sat there for an hour or more last night and just cuddled with Montana, she didn't move the entire time. My heart breaks for her and all of the others in that home.
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Adrianne » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:34 pm

good luck! I'm glad they're all so well mannered!
Adrianne
Regulator

Postby Melody » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Adrianne wrote:good luck! I'm glad they're all so well mannered!

Thanks. I too am relieved the dogs are all so well-tempered. Just goes to show you how resilient these dogs can be! The breeder told me flat out that the dogs have not been trained or socialized at all. Their only form of human contact is when being fed. Most of the females (not the males) are allowed to roam the property off leash - there's no fence - so they run into the street, down the sidewalk, etc. He lives on a somewhat busy road so I'm really surprised none have been hit by a car yet.

I'm trying desperately to get as many dogs away from this man as possible. I'm going to be making an anonymous call later this week to the health department due to the conditions in which he's living, so I want to get as many dogs out before then as I possibly can. I really hope his "breeder friends" aren't just stashing dogs away for him until this whole thing blows over, but I have a feeling thats what is going on. He even explained to me how he just sent another female away to be bred and there were two more still on his property that he was looking to breed soon. I'm just appalled, but this guy has a serious mental illness. I'd love for AC to require that his remaining dogs be sterilized, but evidently that's not a requirement in his area (I won't mention what county) for hoarders. Doesn't make sense.
Melody
Forum Junky

Re: Fosters Needed in S. FL | EMERGENCY *PICS!!*

Postby ilovetyson » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:03 pm

awww I am loving that Blue Brindle.. the female you posted! She is beautiful! I Really hope people come up and are able to help these poor babies!
Wish I could help.. My house is soo full right now. :(
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Bless you all that are working to get those dogs out.
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Melody » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:12 am

Ilovethepits wrote:Bless you all that are working to get those dogs out.

Thanks. We're doing the best we can with what we have to work with, which isn't much right now!
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Melody » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:41 pm

I *HATE* the guy where these dogs came from. Peanut is heartworm positive!!! She starts treatment in two weeks, after she's healed from her spay. I'll find out about Omega next week, she couldn't be spayed today. Peanut must have just come in heat too. She's not feeling well at all. Gosh I love this girl, she's so amazing. If anyone is looking for a low-key, mellow, calm, loving pit bull...you won't find a better one than her. Once she's done with her heartworm treatment she'll be ready for adoption, should be sometime in January. We want to give her plenty of time to heal and rest.

The two puppies, Sugar & Ebony, were also spayed today. They are both doing well.
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:24 am

:hug: Sorry to hear about Peanut. If anyone can pull her through I'm sure you can.

I'll share the hate. Any chance he'll be charged with anything? Can I write a letter to anyone?
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:04 pm

Awww Poor Peanut! OMG I Just LOVE HER! :(

Damn people that don't take care of there dogs!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Melody » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 pm

This was in the news today:

http://www.justnews.com/news/21714815/detail.html

Man Running Pit Bull Kennel Fined $50K
Owner To Close Pit Bull Kennel

POSTED: Tuesday, November 24, 2009
UPDATED: 5:42 am EST November 25, 2009
Dogs in West Park yard
WEST PARK, Fla. -- A man who has operated a pit bull kennel in the town of West Park said his fight with neighbors and the city will soon be over.

Reno Yohai told Local 10 he is trying to adopt out the pit bulls that are currently on his property.

Photos: Slideshow
Watch: Video

At one time, Yohai had 30 pit bulls at his home on Southwest 32nd Avenue, but he is now down to 15. Many are in cages and chained to trees in the front and back of the property.

Yohai said the community backlash and the fact he can't take care of all the dogs by himself has led him to give them up.

The city of West Park has levied fines now totaling $50,000 for operating a kennel in a residential neighborhood.

Neighbors said the place is not safe and the animals are abused living in those conditions.

The Broward Sheriff's Office has had abuse and neglect investigators at the house several times.

"They are fed and have water. They have all their shots. They are not in any distress, so at this time, it’s not an animal cruelty issue. It becomes a code/nuisance issue," said Chief Chris McKinstry, of the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Yohai said if he did not rescue the dogs they would be euthanized.

Neighbors call it abuse and say he's selling the dogs for profit.

"My heart is in the right place. My kennel isn't," Yohai said.

Copyright 2009 by Post-Newsweek Stations. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

(sorry, I did post this in the News section also!)

Hate doesn't even begin to describe how I feel about this man. I'm going there on Friday evening and getting some more dogs, I have room for just a few more.
Melody
Forum Junky

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Keeping you and the dogs in my prayers. I sent to my Aunti in WPB, and a couple people I know in Miami (even though they can't take the dogs maybe they know somebody).
Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby AdrianVall » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I may be able to foster one. I'm sending you a PM sugarfox.
AdrianVall
Adolescent Bully

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs