Looking for a Foster home through the holidays *Richmond VA*

Why buy from a breeder when there are plenty of homeless pups in shelters???

Looking for a Foster home through the holidays *Richmond VA*

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Leo's a good dog, his owner has been trying to give him away and we have stepped in to try and help. He is currently living with two other pit bulls and two small breed dogs. He is left unsupervised all day in the backyard with all of the other dogs. Lately (as he is now 18 months old) he and his BROTHER have not been getting along. He will not share rawhides with him anymore (don't even get me started on that one).

Anyway, he's a nice submissive dog, has a sensitive disposition. Alert to his surroundings and barks at strange noises and to people approaching the home if he is in the back yard. Eager to please, very people oriented and very food motivated - he's a little fat too. He has some basic training but could use an obedience class. He walks nicely on a leash, housebroken, crate trained and knows "sit". He is good with kids but we do not know about cats. He is just fine with small dogs just making sure to take the standard pittie precautions when home alone - even though that is not happening now.

He's a good boy but we would like to move him into a pit bull savvy foster home soon so he is no longer in danger of a dogfight while unattended. He is neutered and will be micochipped and have his vaccines updated before we move him to a foster home.
Last edited by Amy Hendrickson on Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Re: Looking for a Foster home through the holidays *Richmond VA*

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:30 pm

Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Have you looked into RingDog Rescue??
I've never dealt with them directly, but their website always seems solid.

http://www.ringdogrescue.org/
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:10 pm

They don't have foster homes either. We are all looking for foster homes.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:09 pm

oh man. I hope and pray a foster home opens up for him ASAP! He is gorgeous.
Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PitBull-Lady » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 am

Darn. That's too bad.
I know everyone is looking. That's why we have 3 now too. Although, much longer and 3 may be the new 2, we'll see :)
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Yes, I am hoping, neither he or his brother deserve to get mauled for Christmas
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby heartbullies » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am

Aw. Look at that worried face.

Would the owner, even though I gather s/he's reticent, be willing to let you guys put up separate runners for the time being, just to keep the dogs separate and safe until better accommodations can be made? It's the cheapest and quickest method I can think of to at least prevent a yard brawl, without significant lifestyle change or (gasp) owner involvement...
heartbullies
Regulator

Postby ilovetyson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:27 pm

O god... I wish I knew someone up there to help. He Is beautiful! And Letting all dogs alone together.. and Food/bones being involved is just DUMB!.. ugh.. He can get really hurt.. I will see if I can get ahold of anyone up there. But most people I know up there aren't really.. Pit Savvy. Do you know how he is with Kids and CatS?!
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:37 pm

You know, when I got there and it's my fault for not asking more questions before I went. I thought his was a person who got a pit bull and didn't know what they were getting into etc and had a dog aggressive dog so I went armed with breed info and was prepared to sit down and discuss the responsibility of owning this breed and hopefully get her to become more responsible with her dog and keep him - oh h. e. double hockey sticks NO.

She bred this dog's mother and kept litter mates and when I tried to talk to her about the breed, she went all redneck on me talking about her pack and how she runs things etc, it was like talking to a brick wall. She doesn't give a rats behind about understanding breed specifics. She's been owing and breedin' dogs for a long time..... It's the worst feeling in the world to go somewhere and see the dogs set up to fail and not be able to make a difference in a dog's life but the only difference I can make is in this one dog's life and that's by getting him the heck out of there before he or the other one get seriously injured. I've run into hard headed people over the years doing rescue with this breed but usually when they are faced with the facts of dogs not getting along - they listen....usually...to at least some of what I say.

I begged her to separate at least Leo from the others when she doesn't watch so that probably means he is living in the garage all by himself now but at least he is safe - right? I am probably going to go and get him this weekend but I have no place to put him - none. I don't know what to do. She has an infant but there are no cats. I will cat test him this weekend when I get him here. He's really a good dog, for an 18 month old male, living with another male and two small chew toy sized dogs and his mother - sharing a food bowl, it's a small wonder that there hasn't been serious bloodshed by now. He deserves so much better. He lacks some confidence and I think that's from lack of socialization since his only exercise is in the backyard.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:05 pm

I wish I could do something for him. I'm sorry you have now seen one of the sides of Richmond I hate. The ignorant side.

There can be such a wide range of people living in Richmond and why do we always see the ones we can't tolerate auuuugh!
Typically I met those that are intolerant of lifestyles, religions or races - I did not even think of the animal protection part.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby ilikelily » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Oh I am really hoping for the best outcome. :pray
Thank you for doing what your doing. I know it's incredibly tough when faced with the brick walls. I hope you are able to save Leo, and find a place to put him.
ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilovetyson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:25 pm

Well, I am asking people I Know in the general area.. to see if they know anyone near VA that can help. Wish there was more I could do.
ilovetyson
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Amy Hendrickson » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Also, another plea from a friend's neighbor. She took in another neighbor's purebred 18 month old AST that has been suffering with demodex for a while. She said it can stay a week, then has to go. We are willing to pay for his medical care if we can find someone who can hold him until we have a foster opening. The owner of the dog was going to let it go in the woods because he "couldn't afford it"

Brindle with a white head, I can't tell if he will be a black/brown or a blue/fawn brindle when he gets his hair back. He is likewise a nice boy, bullydoggy in personality from what we can tell so far. Needy - aren't they all.
Amy Hendrickson
Super Bully

Postby resthavenfarms » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:51 am

Gah....Hate to hear that experience, Amy, about the breeder/owner. He's so beautiful...I've got a lot of vet tech friends in the Richmond area and I'll send the plea out to them...I actually have one friend who lost her Rottie mix last year and she is looking for another special "doggy man". Maybe this guy would fit the bill for her?
resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Next

Return to Rescue Resources & Adoptable Dogs